Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

The Thrill is Gone

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:25 pm

After 23 months.

It's been a month since I played the live game, about 3 weeks since Microsoft wrecked the game for me, and about a week since I've even logged in. So now my ED habit is broken and I have lost interest in playing (powerplay and rngineers didn't help). And I don't really have any interest in playing anything else. I've played a little Lucky's Tale - it looks neat in VR, but it really seems like a kids game and I lost interest pretty fast. There's nothing else I'm really interested in looking at - ED was my game.

So now I'm thinking of cancelling my Touch pre-order and selling my CV1 - and maybe the GTX-1080, too. Then I'll wait for generation 2 VR and see what's available (I'm not beholden to Oculus), and I bet the VR games will be a lot better, too. And maybe in a year to two, ED will have some really interesting features, like landing on planets with atmospheres, cities, the commander creator, walking around ships & EVA, driving around stations, NPC buggy drivers, and other stuff. Maybe they'll even have a proper crime & punishment system and little things like persistent ship damage.

But I'm not going to wait until then to clear my save. I think I'll spend a little time doing stupid things first - things that I've never even tried in beta because it was against my whole ethos of how to play the game - just to see what happens. Then I'll clear save, change my commander name, and shelve the game until I'm ready to play again. Who knows, maybe even Star Citizen will be playable before then.

Starting over in VR, in HD, with FA off, fixed weapons, rotational correction off, and etc., with a new commander, new attitude, new approach (no grinding!), and maybe in open (unless Mobius is larger and unified) - I think that should bring on the thrill again. I can almost feel my leg shaking now.
It's time to give this another go.

Xious
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Xious

Re: The Thrill is Gone

Postby Xious » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:59 pm

I hear ya. I've been playing other games too lately but find that there isn't much out there really. I really liked Talos Principle and Portal 2 but those type games are really just "1 time thru and done" type games.

I'm planning on getting into Star Citizen with the $45 + $15 deal and see where they are now.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:06 pm

I'm currently playing shadow warrior 2, I desperately needed something stupid and SH2 deliver in volumes.

I also expect to give skyrim another shot when the update comes out next week.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

IronDuke
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Iron Duke

Postby IronDuke » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:09 pm

Totally understand what you mean; I'm even considering sinking some ca$h into Star Citizen..
Distant Worlds Expedition 3302 | 65000 LY From SOL Club

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Xebeth » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:19 pm

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:<snip>

Roger, leisure time is precious, and therefore should be spent doing stuff that you enjoy, if ED hold no enjoyment for you then putting it on the shelf is the absolutely the right thing to do, and let's face it, 23 months dedicated to a single computer game is pretty good going in anyone's books.

All the best for your future adventures, what ever form they take, and if or when you decide to return there will be a cold beer waiting for you at Riff Raff's.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall

Postby Walter » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:26 pm

Sorry to see you go.

On the bright side, Sandro can stop worrying about getting his face punched - unless someone else wants to take over your role as scourge of the devs.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo

Postby GlobusDiablo » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:37 am

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:After 23 months...

I log on from time to time, just to see what's up in Azrael, but I too have seen pretty much what I wanted. Still appreciate the flight model and universe no end mind. :)

Darks Souls 3 dlc dropping in a few days. Nice.

I wouldn't let go of your gfx if I were you. Whether you use it for VR or not, it'll run anything you throw at it butter smooth, and you'll take a big hit selling it.

Stick around the forums and see where E: D heads off to in the future. :)

MrSandman
Competent
Competent
CMDR: MrSandman

Postby MrSandman » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:29 am

Not played for about 4-5 months now for several reasons, work, real life stuff, rediscovering love of fishing and Witcher 3. have gone to play a few times, even got so far as opening the launcher then just found something else to do. I will get back into the game of that I have no doubt :)

Darr Valen
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Darr Valen

Postby Darr Valen » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:38 am

Did you play Elite straight for 23 months? I get the itch to play other stuff in 23 days. I jump into other games to avoid burning out on the ones I love. I could play Elite every day for years.. but if I do, I'll hate it before the first year ends. It's beyond amazing, as games go. I can land the largest ship in the game with no shields and a full cargo load, under fire, in a busy system as quite high speed. I enjoy myself greatly.. but like anything, too much can be bad.

I can't wait to go back to Elite once the new beta becomes the full patch, play it for a few weeks, move on to another game, and eagerly await the next beta or raison d'êlite. Elite is building a universe, piece by piece. Spending too much time in that universe, that's vastly unfinished compared to what it will be in 5-10 years.. well it's not good. Like any addiction, you gotta pace yourself.

Anyway, Civ VI is done.. so I think I'm gonna go play that. Fly safe CMDRs!

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath

Postby Loriath » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:08 am

Roger, totally get it.

I cleared my save in August of last year to do things differently. I was a huge plus to bring me back into the game. Then along came the A-Team and these guys have made even the worst parts of ED worthwhile. But even that became a stretch at times with the broken wing mechanics of 2.1.

You need to spend your time the way that makes you happy. You have to ask the A-Team just how much I play Spider Solitaire in windows. Cheesy, but I enjoy it. :P

But I will make one suggestion before you go. Don't clear your save yet. Keep your account as is and when you come back, you can see what it can be. Then clear it when you are ready and you will have at least some knowledge of what you are working to. I think clearing and waiting is a mistake as there may be such changes that will make you look at it and say no way.

Other than that, Everything I hear is telling me that although VR is an amazing experience now, the next iteration (based on how fast technology moves) will be that much better. I can't afford it now and probably not till Gen 3. Even then I will be looking at Used Gen1/2.

I will say this, ED is much better as a Multi-Player experience. I don't mean playing and seeing other commanders, I mean a regular group like the A-Team. We could be playing any game and it would be better because of it. ooooo Multi Player Solitaire! YES! *Searches Steam*

:P
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

Return to “General Discussion”