Awesome MOBIUS experience last night @ Bingo Palace CG :)

Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
EJIRO
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: EJIRO
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Awesome MOBIUS experience last night @ Bingo Palace CG :)

Postby EJIRO » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:14 pm

Reposting from the official Elite forums. My original post linked below:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/38362-Dedicated-Player-vs-Environment-Groups-with-over-29-000-Commanders?p=4647673&viewfull=1#post4647673

Just wanted to pop in here and help support the MOBIUS community by relaying a great night of gameplay from the current CG in Aramzahd (Norman-Mavis Bingo Palace).

I guess I should start by saying that when I log on most of the world has gone to bed (USPST) so it's rare for me to see a lot of CMDRs even in Open-Mode. But last night there was still a lot of activity at Aramzahd which was a welcome addition. I started off by completing a drop off of rares at the Palace to support that CG. Had some friendly exchanges with a few local CMDRs at the orbital and then hopped over to a local High-RES to see if I could help contribute to that goal as well. Upon jumping in I saw a few other CMDRs bounty hunting. One notably stuck out. A massive Federal Corvette that was working over pirates left and right. To avoid target confusion and to try and provide a courteous birth I tried to keep my distance, but eventually the fight brought us in to the same kill box and soon we were working over each others targets.

Eventually I ended up getting picked on by an enemy that I couldn't see. I couldn't acquire them on radar and I couldn't acquire a visual. I was also in an Imperial Cutter and even with FA-off, it was hard to get the pitch rate I needed to try and establish eyes-on whoever was shooting up my back-side. For several minutes I tried to identify the assailant, unsure of whether it was a ganker running cold or a small ship like an Eagle that I just couldn't bring the nose on.

As my shields eventually started to get whittled down by my invisible attacker I decided the best thing to do was break from the zone and try and get above the accretion disk so I could better establish who was harassing me. I boosted out of the ring and then did an FA-off 180 flip to get a better vantage. To my surprise, what I did see was that massive Federal Corvette charging right at me, full boost, guns ablaze!!! (Now let me just take a moment and describe to those of you who have never been charged head-on by an angry 'Vette... 'tis a truly a spectacular and terrifying visage. I suspect for most it's the last thing they'll see before staring at the rebuy screen. But I quickly noticed that the 'Vette was firing just a hair over my right shoulder... just high off my Cutter's right nacelle.

YES!!!! Amazing! This CMDR had seen my invisible assailant and was gunning for them! Mere seconds after the Corvette almost peels my paint off with a danger-close flyby I hear an explosion behind me and the firing stops. I quickly send a message to the Corvette thanking them for the assist and ask if they saw who was firing on me? Interestingly we seemed to have encountered a bug. There was an enemy ship shooting at me that only the Corvette and his wingman could see. The game was not rendering that ship for me... but it was registering hits and damage to my hull and shields. Also the Corvette's wingman could not see me... nor I them. More bug / glitch issues it appears!

Afterward we exchanged our salutes and I opted to fly-back to Bingo-Palace and R&R the Cutter after getting beat on for 10 mins straight by an attacking ship that I could not see or engage. The 'Vette and their wingmates stayed in the RES to continue to hand out justice to pirate scum. It was a fantastic encounter and the reason I fly MOBIUS. Seeing an Angry Corvette charge in to save the day is a very different, uplifting and invigorating experience. Had this been Open-Mode I most likely would've been heat-soaked and killed or forced to run and high-wake out followed by an incoming message that would've read like, "NOOBZ DNT BEL0NG HEER, 420KILLAZ, BLaZE OUT!!!111!!!!"

Anyway... CMDR WRONGTURN of the Federal Corvette 'THUNDERSCALP' (That's what I'm naming your ship )
thanks for the assist. If you ever need an extra gun in a fight... shoot me a message.
Long live MOBIUS.

-EJIRO

Schmobius
Master
Master
CMDR: Schmobius
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Awesome MOBIUS experience last night @ Bingo Palace CG :)

Postby Schmobius » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:41 pm

I love this kind of stuff, though I've found I make WAY more money if I do bounty hunting in solo for CGs. If I wing up with people for bounty hunting anymore, it's because I don't care about the money or to help someone else out.

CapitanAceRimmer
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Capitan Ace Rimmer

Postby CapitanAceRimmer » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:21 pm

I was there as well, in a Conda in a wing with 3 corvettes. Didn't care about the credits, just wanted to wing up and have some fun. Was definitely a good night for picking up engineer materials! I got there first and was alone for a bit. It was very active, lots of pirate wings battling it out. Then another commander in a Corvette turned up and he invited me to wing up, he was very voracious, I don't think he even bothered to warrant scan them, just wiped them out. Anyway we just shredded everything, then another corvette turned up and we asked him to join and then another. I don't see the point of bounty hunting in a RES alone when there are others around you'll just end up kill stealing from one another. May as well wing up. I forgot to take a screenshot so I could remember their names, DOh!
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Find out what is near you:
http://elitedangerous.hozbase.co.uk/ - Pristine metallic rings, special star systems, rare commodity sources, bounty hunting systems, canyon runs, ...

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Postby Xebeth » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:39 pm

Excellent story, and super tribute to the awesome community that is Mobius et al...
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Schmobius
Master
Master

Postby Schmobius » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:10 pm

About the kill stealing, that's why I go to solo, as much as the payouts.

EJIRO
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: EJIRO

Postby EJIRO » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:05 pm

So this is an interesting response that I see a lot. I guess I'm looking for more information as I'm not really a super bounty hunter / combat player.

Is kill stealing really a thing? My perception is that I can land a single bullet on a ship and then have someone else kill them and I'll get a bounty payout. Maybe it's not the full amount? but it's also not just 5 credits... it's usually thousands or tens of thousands for merely taking a random pot-shot at a wanted target that other NPC's or CMDRs were already shooting up.

So I guess my general perception is that I never feel like I've had a kill "stolen" from me. I've shot up a wanted target and taken them down to %5 hull and then someone else will give them the death blow and I still get tons of money from that kill. Is it as much as I would've gotten had I inflicted the death blow myself? I guess I'm not sure... and nobody ever knows this information as the game never gives you a bounty "value" on a given target prior to engaging. So in actuality you never know how much any given target is worth until you kill them.

I'm not saying you all are wrong or kill stealing is a made-up thing... I'm saying I want to learn more about this and better understand how the metrics, payout calculations and tables work for this. It must be a real thing because I see a lot of CMDRs who are focused on Bounty Hunting talk about this a lot and it clearly bothers them. Any info or learnings on this matter would be much appreciated so I don't conduct myself like an a$$hat in the next CG RES inadvertently :)

Much thanks fellow CMDRs

-EJIRO

Relix Typhon
Master
Master
CMDR: Relix Typhon

Postby Relix Typhon » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:34 pm

EJIRO wrote:So this is an interesting response that I see a lot. I guess I'm looking for more information as I'm not really a super bounty hunter / combat player.

Is kill stealing really a thing? My perception is that I can land a single bullet on a ship and then have someone else kill them and I'll get a bounty payout. Maybe it's not the full amount? but it's also not just 5 credits... it's usually thousands or tens of thousands for merely taking a random pot-shot at a wanted target that other NPC's or CMDRs were already shooting up.

So I guess my general perception is that I never feel like I've had a kill "stolen" from me. I've shot up a wanted target and taken them down to %5 hull and then someone else will give them the death blow and I still get tons of money from that kill. Is it as much as I would've gotten had I inflicted the death blow myself? I guess I'm not sure... and nobody ever knows this information as the game never gives you a bounty "value" on a given target prior to engaging. So in actuality you never know how much any given target is worth until you kill them.

I'm not saying you all are wrong or kill stealing is a made-up thing... I'm saying I want to learn more about this and better understand how the metrics, payout calculations and tables work for this. It must be a real thing because I see a lot of CMDRs who are focused on Bounty Hunting talk about this a lot and it clearly bothers them. Any info or learnings on this matter would be much appreciated so I don't conduct myself like an a$$hat in the next CG RES inadvertently :)

Much thanks fellow CMDRs

-EJIRO

IF you and NPC's are shooting at the wanted ship, you get the bounty. If there is another CMDR (real life player) involved, the person who gets the last shot takes all the money. Bit silly really but C'Est la Vie.

EDIT: If you are in a wing, I believe you all get an equal share of the payout, but I've never winged. Also, if you look on the contacts panel, on the left it does give the bounty amount there but I'm not sure if its every time

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Postby Xebeth » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:00 pm

As RD-83 states, the player that deals the killer blow takes the reward (when two non-winged players are involved), so if you've just spent several minutes whittling down that Elite Anaconda just to have someone swoop in and take the bounty it can be somewhat irksome.

Now fortunately this sort of behaviour is rare in the Mobius groups, and someone shown to be doing it consistently would be considered in violation of the rules and may well be removed (i.e. "Do not spoil another players game".), if appropriate evidence was presented. It is more prevalent in 'Open' where, let's face it, some players are less than caring or mature.

More often than not it is a genuine mistake, or the consequence of dodgy instancing.

Finally, RD-83 is quite correct, if you look at the ship you are targeting in your contacts panel it will show you the bounty value.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Schmobius
Master
Master

Postby Schmobius » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:41 pm

It happens in Mobius, but usually after 2 or 3, people just work on moving to a new instance, so it's not a huge deal. Crazy how things work out when people act like adults....

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:34 pm

To answer the winged question.... when you are in a wing if you fire on an NPC you will share the bounty equally with all others in your wing who also fired on the wanted NPC. It doesn't matter who got the kill shot.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Return to “General Discussion”