Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
ThomasWJames
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: ThomasWJames
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Asp Explorer Build for Exploration Help

Postby ThomasWJames » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:52 pm

Thanks for the advice CometBorne and others. I updated the build a little and got it down to 29,000,000 CR about.

https://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/0patdFflidasnf5------02020202v437430i0i2f2i.Iw18WQ==.CwBjYZhBGaCY7GBFEnzmIA==?bn=Explorer2

I put a 5A scoop which is only 0:55 not much more than the 0:36 of the other one at all. Upgraded the Power Distributor to 3A and really only lost .3 jump.

Hold on a second...the SRV repairs every time you bring it back into the ship? I actually never noticed this...perhaps taking two isn't really necessary than. Also, still debating taking an AFMU out and putting a small cargo just in case I find something "awesome".

de Carabas
Master
Master
CMDR: de Carabas
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby de Carabas » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:47 am

ThomasWJames wrote: I put a 5A scoop which is only 0:55 not much more than the 0:36 of the other one at all.

Just be aware that a few extra seconds doesn't sound a lot until you are doing it over and over and over again :)
If you navigate in economical mode then you can pretty much top up in a couple of seconds with each jump, so might not get annoying. Going for fastest route and you'll have longer pauses by far.

After a trip to Sag A* I vowed never to go out again without the biggest scoop I could fit.

As to the second SRV - I don't see the need. Just don't drive like a nutter and if you're getting too damaged call it a day.
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

Jeffers2112
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Jasper Randall
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Jeffers2112 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:13 am

ThomasWJames wrote:Thanks for the advice CometBorne and others. I updated the build a little and got it down to 29,000,000 CR about.

https://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/0patdFflidasnf5------02020202v437430i0i2f2i.Iw18WQ==.CwBjYZhBGaCY7GBFEnzmIA==?bn=Explorer2

I put a 5A scoop which is only 0:55 not much more than the 0:36 of the other one at all. Upgraded the Power Distributor to 3A and really only lost .3 jump.

Hold on a second...the SRV repairs every time you bring it back into the ship? I actually never noticed this...perhaps taking two isn't really necessary than. Also, still debating taking an AFMU out and putting a small cargo just in case I find something "awesome".

You're wasting space putting your vehicle hanger in a size six slot.
You could fit a 6B, or even 6C fuel scoop and they'd both be faster and cheaper than the 5A.
The hanger will fit in a size 2 slot.

ThomasWJames
Harmless
Harmless

Postby ThomasWJames » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:30 pm

Jeffers2112 wrote:
ThomasWJames wrote:Thanks for the advice CometBorne and others. I updated the build a little and got it down to 29,000,000 CR about.

You're wasting space putting your vehicle hanger in a size six slot.
You could fit a 6B, or even 6C fuel scoop and they'd both be faster and cheaper than the 5A.
The hanger will fit in a size 2 slot.

Thanks for the advice, I just figured "A's" were better because they were more expensive, but it turns out that the 6B is better than the 5A and cheaper.Same thing goes for the 4D vs. 3A Distributor and the 5D vs. 4A Thrusters...confusing. I stuck with the 5D thrusters instead of the 4D for that added maneuverability in planets.

I think I have my two builds that I now need to decide on...

Build One: https://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/0patiFflidisnf5------020202023dv4430i0i2f2i.Iw18WQ==.CwBjYZhBGaCY7GBFEnzmIA==?bn=Explorer2
This one has the two AFMU's and two SRV's just in case

or

Build Two: https://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/0patiFflidisnf5------020202023d0t4302v62f2i.Iw18WQ==.CwBjYZhBGaCY7GBFEnzmIA==?bn=Explorer3
This one only has one SRV and one AFMU (but larger) and also has cargo of 8T just in case I find something that is just too interesting to leave behind :D

I think I'm leaning more towards "Build Two". I'll have to be more careful with the AFMU and the SRV but I think I can do it...

One question on AFMU can someone else the Ammo and Repair numbers on there? With 7,300 Ammo and 167.9 Repair how much/many times/percentage can you repair modules??

Thanks again Mobius community for all your help!

RadioActiveLobster
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: RadioActiveLobster

Postby RadioActiveLobster » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:04 pm

Keep in mind a AFMU cannot repair itself so having 2 can save your bacon if you get into trouble. You can synthesis AFMU ammo so you'll never run out unless you managed to lose both your SRVs so going with 2 smaller AFMU's is fine.

Build One is the one I'd go with. It's very similar to the one I went to Beagle Point and back with (I only had two heat sink launchers). Now that you can engineer FSD upgrades (I left for Beagle Point before Engineers hit) you can take a bit more weight and still get good jump ranges out of it.

Cometborne
Master
Master
CMDR: Cometborne

Postby Cometborne » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:21 pm

de Carabas wrote:If you navigate in economical mode then you can pretty much top up in a couple of seconds with each jump, so might not get annoying. Going for fastest route and you'll have longer pauses by far.

One thing I eventually figured out is that the "refuel time" of coriolis can be misleading. The more important question is how long it takes to scoop the fuel you are using for a jump. The AspX uses up to 5 tons of fuel per jump. A 6A scoop can do 878 kg/sec, so it needs about 5.7 seconds before you are full again. A 5A scoop only does 577 kg/sec, so it needs 8.6 seconds. That is the figure that needs to be looked at, rather than the total refuelling time.

de Carabas wrote:After a trip to Sag A* I vowed never to go out again without the biggest scoop I could fit.

Going B-rated is quite okay, especially if you plan to spend time in system anyway to scan the planets.

de Carabas wrote:Just don't drive like a nutter and if you're getting too damaged call it a day.

How boring is that?
Dirty deeds done dirt cheap for reasonable prices

Roobarb
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Roobarb

Postby Roobarb » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 pm

The downside to most B-rated equipment is that they usually weigh the most. Sure, you get good results, but you pay the jump price. For me, range is more important than heat efficiency, especially on an explorer build. If you run a small A-rated PSU, just enough power to run everything, then heat quickly becomes a non-issue.

ThomasWJames
Harmless
Harmless

Postby ThomasWJames » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:19 pm

Thanks everyone for the continued advice. I'm learning a lot even before I ever get the ship. My biggest dilemma now is deciding whether to bring the Cargo Rack or not...I just have this guilty feeling if I don't bring it I'll find something out there that no one has and won't be able to bring it back :D

Probably nothing out there that hasn't been found already or can't be found around the bubble...I don't know.

Relix Typhon
Master
Master
CMDR: Relix Typhon

Postby Relix Typhon » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:31 pm

I seem to remember Michael Brooks saying some mysterious objects had been added for 2.2...

ThomasWJames
Harmless
Harmless

Postby ThomasWJames » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:14 pm

RD-83 wrote:I seem to remember Michael Brooks saying some mysterious objects had been added for 2.2...

Yeah something inside me is telling me to bring the cargo rack and just fly safe with the one AFMU and SRV.

I'm definitely not a maniac with the SRV. Worse I've done is a few accidental drifts (...okay, okay and one roll over) in a low G planet :P.

Would just hate to lose the SRV and AFMU like 60,000 LY out. Then again it would suck not to bring something strange from that far out lol.

I just hope they don't introduce Thargoids in deep space while I'm out there with no guns!

Return to “General Discussion”