What are you doing (ingame) now?

Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Finally ... but what to do 100t of possibly useful crap in the process?

Postby thebs » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:57 am

So, CMDR TheBS got through ... well ... the BS ... (hiding to not revisit by default)
► Show Spoiler

So ... I lived through it all and am finally Squire, Anchenar Permit and Tiana Fortune Level 5.

Oh, I now have about 100t of the following six (6) commodities, ranging from 8t to 20t ...
► Show Spoiler

But I think at least one of the others are required to unlock an engineer ... yeah ...
► Show Spoiler

In any case, what are the other commodities good for? Inara doesn't seem to show much, but I'm sure I want to keep some of them.

I'm seriously thinking of using my wife's account as a "store" for them, abandoning them and have her scoop them up. I just need to lever her up so she can buy a T6 (she's half-way there hanging with me). Although now I'm seriously considering just opening a 3rd account just as a 'storage account,' so she's not sacked with my storage when she wants to play.

Suggestions there?
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

Pam Demonium
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Pam Demonium

Re: What are you doing (ingame) now?

Postby Pam Demonium » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:04 am

Man you have a lot of crap. when you go from ship to ship, you carry it around with you all the time.
I just sell it all, go dig some up if I need it.

In game, Im going missions for Mobius Navy, and finding all the bases around Colonia.

Cometborne
Master
Master
CMDR: Cometborne

Re: Finally ... but what to do 100t of possibly useful crap in the process?

Postby Cometborne » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:29 am

thebs wrote:In any case, what are the other commodities good for?

Except the Modular Terminals needed to unlock Qwent, the other commodities are only useful as pirate bait these days. Originally, the engineering blueprints needed commodities in addition to the micro-materials. Since we do not have commodity storage in game, you had to carry them around with you all the time, which resulted in lots of extra interdictions and bounty hunting in a RES meant being hunted by all the NPC pirates all the time. Last but not least, it meant that you could not change ships if your other ship did not have enough cargo space.

Due to the high number of complaints about all these issues and their inability to implement commodity storage, FDev removed all commodity requirements from all blueprints as part of the blueprint rebalancing. They still show up as mission rewards, though.

My recommendation is to sell all but the modular terminals, preferably at a station/planetary port owned by the Order of Mobius that shows demand for them in the commodity market. Sabine Installation in Exioce, for example. After that, get your Sirius permit, get the Qwent invite, and dump the modular terminals on Qwent ASAP.
Dirty deeds done dirt cheap for reasonable prices

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:56 pm

Mahooooossive shout out to Tor......For the UA's....(Palin thingy)

I cannot get that fooking latitude...Longitude thing for the life of me.......

Although he did shout at me a few times........

Oh and ram me......And shoot me......

Norwegian Psycho bast.........

But I love him.....

:lol:

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

thebs
Master
Master

Postby thebs » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:42 pm

Cmdr Kharma wrote:I cannot get that fooking latitude...Longitude thing for the life of me.......

That's because you're always looking at the Earth from head-on, North up. Latitude-Longitude is easy when you're looking at a map.

Now realize you can come in at a planet from any angle, any vector, and that entire N-S, E-W coordinate system is completely rotated on you, in a 2D map across a 3D sphere! There's a reason we transform rectangular to radial coordinates in engineering! ;)

So don't feel bad ... not at all. Heck, most people still don't understand why the nautical (not international) mile is used in navigation, and why (HINT: it has to do with latitude). That said ...

In fact, it would help if -- like 'orbit lines' -- Elite created show a simple E-W equator and N-S circle around the planet too. That would go a long, long way to help people visualize where they are in the rectangular coordinates.

But noooo ... you're going to read the numeric display at the bottom of your HUD ... and you're gonna like it! ;)
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

thebs
Master
Master

Re: Finally ... but what to do 100t of possibly useful crap in the process?

Postby thebs » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:44 pm

Cometborne wrote:
thebs wrote:In any case, what are the other commodities good for?

Except the Modular Terminals needed to unlock Qwent, the other commodities are only useful as pirate bait these days. Originally, the engineering blueprints needed commodities in addition to the micro-materials. Since we do not have commodity storage in game, you had to carry them around with you all the time, which resulted in lots of extra interdictions and bounty hunting in a RES meant being hunted by all the NPC pirates all the time. Last but not least, it meant that you could not change ships if your other ship did not have enough cargo space.

Due to the high number of complaints about all these issues and their inability to implement commodity storage, FDev removed all commodity requirements from all blueprints as part of the blueprint rebalancing. They still show up as mission rewards, though.

My recommendation is to sell all but the modular terminals, preferably at a station/planetary port owned by the Order of Mobius that shows demand for them in the commodity market. Sabine Installation in Exioce, for example. After that, get your Sirius permit, get the Qwent invite, and dump the modular terminals on Qwent ASAP.

Thanx for confirming! I couldn't find anything on Inara. I heard talk about Frontier dropping the commodities until there was storage. Didn't know it actually happened.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:45 am

thebs wrote:
Cmdr Kharma wrote:I cannot get that fooking latitude...Longitude thing for the life of me.......

That's because you're always looking at the Earth from head-on, North up. Latitude-Longitude is easy when you're looking at a map.

Now realize you can come in at a planet from any angle, any vector, and that entire N-S, E-W coordinate system is completely rotated on you, in a 2D map across a 3D sphere! There's a reason we transform rectangular to radial coordinates in engineering! ;)

So don't feel bad ... not at all. Heck, most people still don't understand why the nautical (not international) mile is used in navigation, and why (HINT: it has to do with latitude). That said ...

In fact, it would help if -- like 'orbit lines' -- Elite created show a simple E-W equator and N-S circle around the planet too. That would go a long, long way to help people visualize where they are in the rectangular coordinates.

But noooo ... you're going to read the numeric display at the bottom of your HUD ... and you're gonna like it! ;)

Baring all the UI issues, which for most cases the coordinates are almost the same colour as the bloody ground..

Here Kharma, read this:
https://scouts.org.uk/media/61718/os_-_ ... y_pack.pdf

As for ED specific.
Where you enter onto the grid is irrelevant, sure it would be nice to control this, but as it is, it's irrelevant.
We have the compass in cruise now, we have since 2.2 I believe.
Just follow your directions.
Although it hasn't helped that the people designing this system is as unsure about coordinates as Kharma, they have flipped the lat\long coordinates at least three times already....
(seriously, talk to a 10 year old scout sometime)

0 is North (Lat).
180 is South(Lat),
90, East (long)
270, West (long)
If you stick to these headings you will only affect either latitudinal position or longitudinal position.

Our ships are fast enough that in orbital cruise you can easily follow one to set it correctly, say the latitude, by flying either at a heading of 0, or 180 as needed.
When the latitude is dialed in, start on longitude by flying at 90, or 270 degrees.
If you are in relatively high orbit, you will have to correct by applying yaw, cause it's spherical.
There is also no point in getting the exact coordinates in cruise, once you are down to a few minutes off your mark, drop down to the surface and dial it in.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:21 pm

TorTorden wrote:Here Kharma, read this:
https://scouts.org.uk/media/61718/os_-_ ... y_pack.pdf

Tor......

F**K Right Off.......

I know the principles.....

I used to sail and plot routes and shit......Using that funny ruler.....

But that was on sea charts.......

It's trying to apply that to a sphere whilst having imbibed several units of alcohol that's the problem.....

:D

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Relix Typhon
Master
Master
CMDR: Relix Typhon

Postby Relix Typhon » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:28 pm

Cmdr Kharma wrote:
TorTorden wrote:I used to sail and plot routes and shit......Using that funny ruler.....

A sextant? ;) :D :P

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:48 pm

RD......

You can feck orf as well........

*Adds RD to slap list*

:)

In game...Just knawed leg up to knee......(5000 Palin thingy)

How people can explore is beyond me.......

Mind you they probably don't have two wing members talking bollocks in their earoles.....

:lol:

Return to “General Discussion”