Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: What are you doing (ingame) now?

Postby thebs » Tue May 30, 2017 3:43 pm

Pam Demonium wrote:Made it to Colonia, found I needed to bring a second ship out. So Im back in the bubble, and heading back.

Just curious. How are most people getting 'back' from Colonia to take out a 2nd ship?

Are you buying a small ship in Colonia, maybe shipping out a Level 5 engineered FSD (with the 60+ hour wait), and then flying back in that ship?

Ready Eagle wrote:^^^ didn't make it to Coloina again... I was super charging my FSD only 3k out on Sunday and got to close. Now back at Rafferty's Mobius ..... and now going to take a long break from the game.

Any reason you're not using some of the planetary refueling bases on the way?

https://community.elitedangerous.com/en ... b47f9912eb

I hit three (3) of them on the way out, and became 'allied' with most of them, thanx to turning in Exploration data.

Hillary Depot – Blu Thua AI-A c14-10, planet A 4 A
    Eagle's Landing – Eagle Sector IR-W d1-117, planet 2 A
    Gagarin Gate – Gru Hypue KS-T d3-31, planet 4

But I then quickly discovered that I really should only use one (1) as a half-way point, which I did on the way back.

Sacaqawea Space Port – Skaudai CH-B d14-34, planet 1 A

Why?

Colonia itself is nearly -1,000ly from the galactic plane. That's none-too-far from the Neutron plane that runs from Colonia all the way to about 1,500ly from the Bubble.

Sacaqawea is also only a couple hundred ly above the -1,000ly galactic plane as well, and it's almost on the 'straight line' between Colonia and the edge of the Bubble, about 10,000ly from Colonia, and 11,000ly from the bubble, IIRC.

Just FYI, if most people aren't aware. Being +1,000ly or -1,000ly really lets one jump the Neutron stars almost every time, at least once one is out 1,500ly or so from the bubble. I was regularly getting 180-200ly jumps in my Exploration Anaconda, which reduces the number of jumps to 60 or so for every 10,000ly.

Orochimaru wrote:Sorry for the n00bness, but, what is so great about Colonia?

I originally did it for the Order, running the travel guides for the CG so Mobia could be founded. I also did my best to do runs for the Mobius Navy to keep them in control of Mobia.

But Colonia is also a great place to go out and explore from, especially to the galactic core and beyond, which I did. It's also picking up when it comes to various things.

I just recommend that, before you head out, you buy and store any components you'll want once you get out there, engineer them as you see fit, and then store them. That way you can pay for them to be shipped out (takes over 60 hours).

Just keep in mind the cost to ship things out to Colonia are proportional to their cost. So if it's a costly item, you'll want to take it with you on the trip. If it's cheap, let alone heavy (which will impede your jump range), ship it instead.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

Orochimaru
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Orochimaruh

Postby Orochimaru » Tue May 30, 2017 4:10 pm

thebs wrote:
Pam Demonium wrote:Made it to Colonia, found I needed to bring a second ship out. So Im back in the bubble, and heading back.

Just curious. How are most people getting 'back' from Colonia to take out a 2nd ship?

Are you buying a small ship in Colonia, maybe shipping out a Level 5 engineered FSD (with the 60+ hour wait), and then flying back in that ship?

Ready Eagle wrote:^^^ didn't make it to Coloina again... I was super charging my FSD only 3k out on Sunday and got to close. Now back at Rafferty's Mobius ..... and now going to take a long break from the game.

Any reason you're not using some of the planetary refueling bases on the way?

https://community.elitedangerous.com/en ... b47f9912eb

I hit three (3) of them on the way out, and became 'allied' with most of them, thanx to turning in Exploration data.

Hillary Depot – Blu Thua AI-A c14-10, planet A 4 A
    Eagle's Landing – Eagle Sector IR-W d1-117, planet 2 A
    Gagarin Gate – Gru Hypue KS-T d3-31, planet 4

But I then quickly discovered that I really should only use one (1) as a half-way point, which I did on the way back.

Sacaqawea Space Port – Skaudai CH-B d14-34, planet 1 A

Why?

Colonia itself is nearly -1,000ly from the galactic plane. That's none-too-far from the Neutron plane that runs from Colonia all the way to about 1,500ly from the Bubble.

Sacaqawea is also only a couple hundred ly above the -1,000ly galactic plane as well, and it's almost on the 'straight line' between Colonia and the edge of the Bubble, about 10,000ly from Colonia, and 11,000ly from the bubble, IIRC.

Just FYI, if most people aren't aware. Being +1,000ly or -1,000ly really lets one jump the Neutron stars almost every time, at least once one is out 1,500ly or so from the bubble. I was regularly getting 180-200ly jumps in my Exploration Anaconda, which reduces the number of jumps to 60 or so for every 10,000ly.

Orochimaru wrote:Sorry for the n00bness, but, what is so great about Colonia?

I originally did it for the Order, running the travel guides for the CG so Mobia could be founded. I also did my best to do runs for the Mobius Navy to keep them in control of Mobia.

But Colonia is also a great place to go out and explore from, especially to the galactic core and beyond, which I did. It's also picking up when it comes to various things.

I just recommend that, before you head out, you buy and store any components you'll want once you get out there, engineer them as you see fit, and then store them. That way you can pay for them to be shipped out (takes over 60 hours).

Just keep in mind the cost to ship things out to Colonia are proportional to their cost. So if it's a costly item, you'll want to take it with you on the trip. If it's cheap, let alone heavy (which will impede your jump range), ship it instead.

Thanks for the info CMDR.
o7

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk
//"ye meet orochi crazy ass vulture pilot" ^^

Relix Typhon
Master
Master
CMDR: Relix Typhon

Postby Relix Typhon » Tue May 30, 2017 6:45 pm

After a very productive few days helpng the order, I'm back to unlocking engineers. Palin today. Just got 27 UA from a crash site 16LY from Maia

EDIT. Holy shit, Palin has a Farragut hovering over his base :o :shock:

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Xebeth » Tue May 30, 2017 8:10 pm

1300ly out from Azrael, first undiscovered ELW of this trip
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

de Carabas
Master
Master
CMDR: de Carabas
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby de Carabas » Tue May 30, 2017 9:24 pm

Been trying out my new Corvette in a Haz res in Exioce. Twin overcharged huge multi-cannons are great fun!
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

Ready Eagle
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Ready Eagle

Postby Ready Eagle » Wed May 31, 2017 12:51 pm

"Any reason you're not using some of the planetary refueling bases on the way?"
Yes I was "edging" my route on the lower plane and not taking the perfect line to get there quick, I had discovered 4 new neutron stars and at least 9 regular systems also, I should have made one stop but was never very close. oh well some one else can tag these now. Was killed by the "disappearing" outer star parameter line, at lest in my game the line where you are pulled out into a star disappears some times.

Pam Demonium
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Pam Demonium

Postby Pam Demonium » Wed May 31, 2017 1:36 pm

Orochimaru wrote:
thebs wrote:

1) Are you buying a small ship in Colonia, maybe shipping out a Level 5 engineered FSD (with the 60+ hour wait), and then flying back in that ship?

2) I hit three (3) of them on the way out, and became 'allied' with most of them, thanx to turning in Exploration data.

1) In order to get ore from Colonia to Mobia, you have to be able to jump at least 28ly. None of the ships there can do that. Yes I could of swapped my FSD between a python and my DBX. Not only a hassle, but I dont like the python for mining. So I went back, built a AspX, and will be bringing it out this week.
I cant find any info on pristine rings except in Colonia. When there are found, I want to be able to jump between there and Mobia, to cash in.

2) I went down the "Hurt Highway" via the neutron star route. Way shorter, and in a direct line to Colonia, from the bubble.

Fuel was never the problem. My 4A scoop did its job well, now I have a 6A, zoom, zoom.
Getting damaged hull was the only problem I had. This time the ship is bigger, and I used a hull reinforcement module. I will make better time, and Im making my own route this time, so Ill hit unexplored sectors, and I might even try neutron jumping.

thebs
Master
Master

Postby thebs » Wed May 31, 2017 2:05 pm

Ready Eagle wrote:Yes I was "edging" my route on the lower plane and not taking the perfect line to get there quick, I had discovered 4 new neutron stars and at least 9 regular systems also, I should have made one stop but was never very close.

I like the half-way point. Makes it a bit more manageable.

I end up 'arcing' a bit, including a bit both sideways and going down to -1,500ly plane and discovering a lot of undiscovered systems. I only start running into other neutron stars and systems other people discovered when I am less than 1,000-1,500ly away from a base, or the bubble.

Ready Eagle wrote:oh well some one else can tag these now. Was killed by the "disappearing" outer star parameter line, at lest in my game the line where you are pulled out into a star disappears some times.

I've learned to watch the 'light shade' off the star's perimeter. If you stay just on the edge of it, you're getting about 60-70% of the fuel scoop but only about 20-30% of the heat.

Takes about 50% longer to refuel, but well worth it.

When it comes to neutron stars, I watch my distance, ignoring any perimeter. I never get closer than 0.45Ls ... virtually never. I think I've skipped a few small ones, deciding it wasn't worth the risk.

I come in really slow, and always at an 'away angle.' Ends up taking 2-3x as long as other people, but I never go the 'wrong way.' Did that a few times early on, but luckily didn't get sucked into the core, because I was barely going 1Mm/s.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

thebs
Master
Master

Postby thebs » Wed May 31, 2017 2:34 pm

Pam Demonium wrote:
Orochimaru wrote:
thebs wrote:Just curious. How are most people getting 'back' from Colonia to take out a 2nd ship?

1) Are you buying a small ship in Colonia, maybe shipping out a Level 5 engineered FSD (with the 60+ hour wait), and then flying back in that ship?

2) I hit three (3) of them on the way out, and became 'allied' with most of them, thanx to turning in Exploration data.

1) In order to get ore from Colonia to Mobia, you have to be able to jump at least 28ly. None of the ships there can do that. Yes I could of swapped my FSD between a python and my DBX. Not only a hassle, but I dont like the python for mining. So I went back, built a AspX, and will be bringing it out this week.
I cant find any info on pristine rings except in Colonia. When there are found, I want to be able to jump between there and Mobia, to cash in.

Okay, gotcha. I thought you were talking something else.

Yeah, stocking Jumponium just for that could get costly.

Pam Demonium wrote:2) I went down the "Hurt Highway" via the neutron star route. Way shorter, and in a direct line to Colonia, from the bubble.

I do that, sans for a mid-way stop that is almost direct. It only takes me about 300ly out-of-the-way. Worth the piece-of-mind in my book.

Pam Demonium wrote:Fuel was never the problem. My 4A scoop did its job well, now I have a 6A, zoom, zoom.
Getting damaged hull was the only problem I had. This time the ship is bigger, and I used a hull reinforcement module. I will make better time, and Im making my own route this time, so Ill hit unexplored sectors, and I might even try neutron jumping.

I've dropped back from a 6A to a 5A in my Anaconda. I'm not finding it's that much slower.

*Al*
Master
Master
CMDR: *Al*

Postby *Al* » Wed May 31, 2017 6:48 pm

And now for something........

Anyone else noticed MMs getting nerf'd?

Return to “General Discussion”