Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Morgan Bateson
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Morgan Bateson
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: What are you doing (ingame) now?

Postby Morgan Bateson » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:24 pm

I just spend a night doing the long economical route to Khun. Visiting Martuuk. Thought to do quite a few grades at one go. So mined, got the needed rare commodities and escaped 3 interdictions on the way.

On final approach about 7 km I think it was I thought it would be wise to level the old Conda and ease her in. Dunno what happened but it kind of plunged pretty soon afterwards. Smashed her right in the base.

Gotta love the grind.

"Captain, do you know what year this is?"
"Of course I do. It's 2278."

– Jean-Luc Picard and Morgan Bateson, 2368 ("Cause and Effect")

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Using boost to change velocity vector, right in front of the mail slot ...

Postby thebs » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:58 pm

Morgan Bateson wrote:I just spend a night doing the long economical route to Khun. Visiting Martuuk. Thought to do quite a few grades at one go. So mined, got the needed rare commodities and escaped 3 interdictions on the way.

On final approach about 7 km I think it was I thought it would be wise to level the old Conda and ease her in. Dunno what happened but it kind of plunged pretty soon afterwards. Smashed her right in the base.

Gotta love the grind.

Did you boost accidentally? The key to mitigating any accidental boost is to immediately drop the landing gear. It will end all acceleration.

I tend to use this approach purposely, when I come in at an angle, finding my velocity vector well sideways from the mail slot. I wait until I have the slot just about in front of me -- within 1.5s, just the time needed for the boost to "kick in" -- even though I'm only 500m from the station. A second after boosting, I drop the landing gear, which prevents me from accelerating much beyond 150-175m/s, all while I've radically and completely changed my velocity vector to now be straight at the mail slot.

Just FYI. I've seen a lot of people just slam into a station, or even the back of the station, because they accidentally hit boost.

NOTE: This all assumes you have FA on. If FA is off, things are very different.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

Darr Valen
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Darr Valen

Postby Darr Valen » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:04 pm

thebs wrote:
Darr Valen wrote:Elite tried to murder me again.. Sitting at the edge of a star scooping, heat at 65ish, and getting a solid 500/s, when all of the sudden, emergency ejected.. AGAIN. All modules take damage. I face away from the star when scooping to avoid this shit. This bug has made sure I am damaged in every system on my ship now. It's maddening..
15,102.51LY to jaques. Many more of these freakin' bugouts, and I'll never make it. Seriously, Frontier..

Thanx for confirming I should stay away from this CG.

I was going to level my FSD beyond it's current +22% (level 3) so my 300t+ Anaconda (explorer outfit, instead of 452t) could do maybe closer to 30ly (it's currently 21ly loaded with 452t, 33ly unloaded), but now I think I should wait for the next set of patches. I'd be really pissed off to get that far, only to be destroyed by heat.

Off Topic
Darr Valen wrote:If named after the character, it should be "Forrest Gump", as he is named after the confederate general.

Indeed, as even most Americans (and then proliferated outside the US by Americans) don't know the first thing about both pre and during civil war banners.
► Show Spoiler
Most Americans only know the history the US media teaches them ... which is almost always based on assumption, not any history.

The CG isn't to blame. It's an issue within the game. I won't be leaving normal space without my hangar again, that's for sure..

Morgan Bateson wrote:I just spend a night doing the long economical route to Khun. Visiting Martuuk. Thought to do quite a few grades at one go. So mined, got the needed rare commodities and escaped 3 interdictions on the way.

Gotta love the grind.

What was the gravity of the planet? The Anaconda has a large mass, so anything at near or over 1G is going to keep you going into the planet if you wait until 7km to even out.. It's asking to crash at that point, lol.

Just made it to Lysoosms ZU-P D5-36.

14,137.06LY left until Jaques. Molasses in a Wisconsin Winter is moving faster than I am.. ugh.

thebs
Master
Master

Postby thebs » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:36 pm

Darr Valen wrote:The CG isn't to blame. It's an issue within the game. I won't be leaving normal space without my hangar again, that's for sure..

Oh, I understand the CG is not to blame. But I've never been out more than 1,500ly or so. I signed up for the Jaques CG, but am now glad I didn't start it.

Darr Valen wrote:What was the gravity of the planet? The Anaconda has a large mass, so anything at near or over 1G is going to keep you going into the planet if you wait until 7km to even out.. It's asking to crash at that point, lol.

Oh, duh, I read that as a station, not a planet, earlier. Duh, he was talking about a planet.

Yes, my rule of thumb is ...
    1G: Exit Glide at 10km, immediately pull up and boost if you're more than 5 bars down Delta-V
    1.5G: Exit Glide at 15km, immediately pull up and boost if you're more than 4 bars down Delta-V
    2G: Exit Glide at 20km, immediately pull up and boost if you're more than 3 bars down Delta-V

When you're 1.5G+, keep that nose 10 degrees up and merely "nudge" the down, and never within 1km. Let it "fall slowly."

As I mentioned earlier, I nearly destroyed my Anaconda on a merely 0.1G planet just recently. I had become cocky after landing on a 1.7-1.8G, thinking I knew I could handle my Delta-V. Shields down and hull 25% after slamming even horizontal, with gear down, taught me to always respect the planet, regardless of gravity.

My current heaviest landing is 2.05G. I won't do it again. I don't like over 1G now, even though I've gone it almost a half dozen times, including the aforementioned 1.7-1.8G and 2.05G. In the latter case, it took me over 4 minutes to land, after exiting Glide at 12km, and I had to immediately boost. I kept that nose up 10-15 degrees, which made it difficult to land on the pad.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

Darr Valen
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Darr Valen

Postby Darr Valen » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:58 pm

thebs wrote:
Darr Valen wrote:The CG isn't to blame. It's an issue within the game. I won't be leaving normal space without my hangar again, that's for sure..

Oh, I understand the CG is not to blame. But I've never been out more than 1,500ly or so. I signed up for the Jaques CG, but am now glad I didn't start it.

Darr Valen wrote:What was the gravity of the planet? The Anaconda has a large mass, so anything at near or over 1G is going to keep you going into the planet if you wait until 7km to even out.. It's asking to crash at that point, lol.

Oh, duh, I read that as a station, not a planet, earlier. Duh, he was talking about a planet.

Yes, my rule of thumb is ...
    1G: Exit Glide at 10km, immediately pull up and boost if you're more than 5 bars down Delta-V
    1.5G: Exit Glide at 15km, immediately pull up and boost if you're more than 4 bars down Delta-V
    2G: Exit Glide at 20km, immediately pull up and boost if you're more than 3 bars down Delta-V

When you're 1.5G+, keep that nose 10 degrees up and merely "nudge" the down, and never within 1km. Let it "fall slowly."

As I mentioned earlier, I nearly destroyed my Anaconda on a merely 0.1G planet just recently. I had become cocky after landing on a 1.7-1.8G, thinking I knew I could handle my Delta-V. Shields down and hull 25% after slamming even horizontal, with gear down, taught me to always respect the planet, regardless of gravity.

My current heaviest landing is 2.05G. I won't do it again. I don't like over 1G now, even though I've gone it almost a half dozen times, including the aforementioned 1.7-1.8G and 2.05G. In the latter case, it took me over 4 minutes to land, after exiting Glide at 12km, and I had to immediately boost. I kept that nose up 10-15 degrees, which made it difficult to land on the pad.

On Achenar, I am glad I was overly cautious. I hit thrust down 1 time, and lost 1.3km of altitude. Better to be safe than sorry, especially in an expensive ship. 6.7G is no joke.

13,784.9 LY left to Jaques

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:36 pm

Achenar was fun.......

First time landing was like.....Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkkkkkkk..........

Boost.....Boost......Boost......

:lol:

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Darwin
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Darwin

Postby Darwin » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:55 pm

Cmdr Kharma wrote:Achenar was fun.......

First time landing was like.....Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkkkkkkk..........

Boost.....Boost......Boost......

Yes, Achenar was actually fun!

You missed out the Boom.... from the end of the Boost.....Boost......Boost...... bit.

My first 2 attempts ended that way. Barnes Wallace would have been proud of those.

http://inara.cz/cmdr-logbook/26224/9771
“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time”
CMDR Darwin, Inara profile

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:12 pm

Actually managed to land first time in my Asp......

I did have a bit of warning though from Lori....

It was something like.......Easy on the fecking down thrust.....

So I just tickled it and fooking hell......

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

thebs
Master
Master

Postby thebs » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:19 pm

Darr Valen wrote:On Achenar, I am glad I was overly cautious. I hit thrust down 1 time, and lost 1.3km of altitude. Better to be safe than sorry, especially in an expensive ship. 6.7G is no joke.

Yes ... I plan on having a "cheaply equipped Sidewinder" for my attempt. ;)

Darwin
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Darwin

Postby Darwin » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:31 pm

Obsidian Ant failed in the Cutter and tried the Sidewinder. Landed upside down and rolled.
https://youtu.be/NntETApmrRI
“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time”
CMDR Darwin, Inara profile

Return to “General Discussion”