Expert
Expert
CMDR: ROBFM81
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: What are you doing (ingame) now?

Postby robfm81 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:57 am

JohnLuke wrote:
robfm81 wrote:sothis would help me alot but its 500 ly away - boo

It was the same distance for me. If you're interested in investing some time to make some serious cash, it's well worth the 30+ hops to get there.

will go once mission loop done.

whats best ship as i'm not sure what the missions are

If you want to survive out here, you've got to know where your towel is.

blazingmaniac
Expert
Expert
CMDR: blazing
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby blazingmaniac » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:39 am

robfm81 wrote:
JohnLuke wrote:
robfm81 wrote:sothis would help me alot but its 500 ly away - boo

It was the same distance for me. If you're interested in investing some time to make some serious cash, it's well worth the 30+ hops to get there.

Depends entirely on budget really and what you have available as well, both Sothis and Ceos have stations so any size ship can be used. However you are generally looking at a 400ly journey to back to the bubble to do the deliveries. So with that in mind, an ASP Explorer, Type 6, or if going larger Anaconda fitted for long range, or a Cutter are all good candidates. Fundamentally you are looking at ships with a good laden jump range and as much cargo space as you can muster. You WILL need a fuel scoop, and you WILL get interdicted as well so remember that when building a ship for this.
The missions are either deliver Bio waste/hydrogen fuel (legal obviously) so no risk from authorities, or long range smuggling, narcotics and the like, those being illegal. You are normally penalized for being scanned on these, basically a dent in the profit margin.
The third sort is the data transfer missions that you will need to do to build reputation with the local factions to get access to the full list of long range missions. These are run between Sothis and Ceos which is 8.9 Ly's apart. I bought a Cobra locally at Ceos to do theses as it's overkill doing it in a cutter lol.

Even without building rep you will still get the offer of some long range delivery missions from the outset, and completing these will also help build the rep with the local factions.

Hope this helps a little.

TL;DR
Good Laden jump range.
Maximize cargo capacity.
Fuel scoop essential.

Schmobius
Master
Master
CMDR: Schmobius

Postby Schmobius » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:48 pm

The cutter is great for the smuggling missions, because I can leave anyone scanning or interdicting me in the dust. Haven't been fined yet, and when I get interdicted, I just boost away and jump fairly effortlessly. All the FDLs trying to steal my cargo can barely get enough shots on me to be marked hostile before I'm gone. The upgraded thrusters and FSD help with this. Also, I moved 600+ tons of cargo for sothis missions last night, even with a fuel scoop and srv installed.

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs

Grinding with the Anaconda, looking for FSD engineering help ...

Postby thebs » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:32 pm

Didn't play last night, but was sitting pretty at 9,000t on the CG.

It now helps to have an Anaconda moving 432t (436t if I drop the scanner) instead of only 252t (256t if I drop the scanner) in a Python. I also love the 800MJ shielding with just a Class 5A Shield + 4x Boosters in the Anaconda, double what I could with a Python with the same shield + Booster. I have (2) Class 1 Mines, (2) Class 2 Mines, (3) Class 3 Gimbaled Burst Lasers and (1) Class 4 Gimbaled Canon, all barely within the power envelope (although I sometimes have to take either the cargo hatch or cannon off-line, unless I'm all cargo).

I did some more ice mining missions, but it's really not worth it in the Anaconda. I can move more and make more in trades. But I picked up some more components in the process.

Now I'm trying to slowly upgrade the Anaconda. Moving to a Class 8C Power Plant (which will remove the need to take anything off-line) and a Class 7A Power Distributor (from a Class 8D, which weighs more for less benefit, while still within a 8C Power Plant's limits). I already have a Class 6A Jump Drive, and I think after I do the former, as well as put in a Class 6A Shield, I'm going to start grinding on my FSD with the engineers.

Any recommendations on what order to upgrade my FSD in, is greatly appreciated. I have many of the components that I might need, although I'm sure I'll still have to find some.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

Cometborne
Master
Master
CMDR: Cometborne

Postby Cometborne » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:23 pm

Almost cooked myself at Sagittarius A*, approaching to within 24 km is definitely not an option here. I did not even get within 42 Ls before the heat alarms went off, and without heat sinks, this may have ended badly.

Now having "fun" with the in-game route plotter on my way to the Great Annihilator. Fortunately, the route plotter of ED Discovery is not as limited as the in-game one.
Dirty deeds done dirt cheap for reasonable prices

Falcon_D
Master
Master
CMDR: Falcon Darkstar

Postby Falcon_D » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:39 am

Hello,
Took my Cobra out for a spin in a high res. Tried Multis and beams, not too bad. Then tried multis and missiles. Was not too bad either, till the missiles ran out.
Now back to my Python. Outfitted her for mining as I have mining missions to get components for shield upgrade.
Also, Modular terminals are supposed to be common. So how come I see more missions offering "heat interlinks" and hardly any offering "modular terminals"?

Have fun, fly safe. o7

*Al*
Master
Master
CMDR: *Al*

Postby *Al* » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:58 am

blazingmaniac wrote:
robfm81 wrote:
JohnLuke wrote:

Depends entirely on budget really and what you have available as well, both Sothis and Ceos have stations so any size ship can be used. However you are generally looking at a 400ly journey to back to the bubble to do the deliveries. So with that in mind, an ASP Explorer, Type 6, or if going larger Anaconda fitted for long range, or a Cutter are all good candidates. Fundamentally you are looking at ships with a good laden jump range and as much cargo space as you can muster. You WILL need a fuel scoop, and you WILL get interdicted as well so remember that when building a ship for this.
The missions are either deliver Bio waste/hydrogen fuel (legal obviously) so no risk from authorities, or long range smuggling, narcotics and the like, those being illegal. You are normally penalized for being scanned on these, basically a dent in the profit margin.
The third sort is the data transfer missions that you will need to do to build reputation with the local factions to get access to the full list of long range missions. These are run between Sothis and Ceos which is 8.9 Ly's apart. I bought a Cobra locally at Ceos to do theses as it's overkill doing it in a cutter lol.

Even without building rep you will still get the offer of some long range delivery missions from the outset, and completing these will also help build the rep with the local factions.

Hope this helps a little.

TL;DR
Good Laden jump range.
Maximize cargo capacity.
Fuel scoop essential.

Missions are now averaging 7m for me now.
Although I am loath to get rid of them you really do not need weapons for this. I have a long way to travel so no time for combat doing these runs.

Hrdina
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Hrdina

Postby Hrdina » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:52 am

I'm out near the Monkey Head Nebula, hoping to finish up my exploration trip and sell my data before the Thargoids return in force.

For luck I've decided to break open the bottle of Jameson that I brought along for the trip.

The Monkey Head sure is creepy from certain vantage points.

Jameson & Son are my copilots

Schmobius
Master
Master
CMDR: Schmobius

Postby Schmobius » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:23 am

I thought it looked more like pacman than a monkey when I was out there last month.

robfm81
Expert
Expert
CMDR: ROBFM81

Postby robfm81 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:10 am

missions working well for my trade rank and fed rank.... not long till i get my FAS... yey

If you want to survive out here, you've got to know where your towel is.

Return to “General Discussion”