Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: What are you doing (ingame) now?

Postby Xebeth » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:56 pm

Siobhan wrote:My partner and I have just stopped playing. I can handle the NPCs just fine, but I never played just for it to be a combat sim. It's depressing, and I have better things to do with my life.

First time I've ever regretted buying a season pass. It's not the game I paid for. It's not even a game any more, it's a job.

Sorry to see you go Siobhan, here's hoping that something changes in the game to bring you back.

Phillipus wrote:Sorry to hear you say that. I bought the lifetime expansion pass, and right now wondering if I did the right thing.

I can handle myself just fine against the NPCs in this latest version, but I play a lot less now. I'm not sure what it is, but it just doesn't seem fun or satisfying any more. I can't put my finger on why. It's not that the NPCs are harder, but that I find them infuriating. Their repertoire seems to consist of just one manoeuvre - point at me and charge. It's tedious and stupid. I did so some Engineer mods, but can't be arsed to do more.

Something changed for the worse in this version. The game got a whole lot less fun, but I'm not sure why.

The Engineers are just a time sink that often leads to less than satisfying results. Looking for materials was once a fun distraction, but chasing the Engineers puts it too much at the forefront (hence why I'm basically just waiting for materials to turn up when they turn up) and takes away from the essence of the game. However, even ignoring them and waiting for the stuff to upgrade detracts from the game, I'm carrying around a bunch of stuff that I may want in the future, but that means that I can't bounty hunt without getting pounced on by every NPC in the RES, and my FDL sits gathering dust because it has no cargo space.

The NPCs have gone from being gnats to wasps (rather than simply annoying they are now annoying and dangerous), where as previously an interdiction broke up the monotony of trading, it's now an annoying and dangerous interruption, breaking the flow of gameplay.
Whilst combat previously held little challenge and was actually quite relaxing even with its bugs, it can now often be frustrating, yes a Python could carry loads of SCBs, but it shouldn't be able to spam them constantly without roasting itself, no human would seriously fit that much chaff to a ship, and an Anaconda really should not be able to out turn an FDL.

The solutions seem quite simple (IMHO), give us storage for the crap we need to collect (whoever thought crafting without storage was a good idea should be bollocked), fix the NPCs so that they behave realistically (or if they can't do that, then tone them back so that the bugs aren't so game breaking), and adjust the RNG so that successive rolls progressively improve the quality of the upgrade.

This is going to be a test for FD, they're the only ones with the numbers, but if the various social media rages are anything to go by they should be seeing a drop in player numbers, if so they'll need to react. Of course the opposite may be true, but somehow I doubt it.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Reo Creed
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Reo Creed
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Reo Creed » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:51 pm

Well put, Xbeth ... Well put.

Reo

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:08 pm

Ok......Non BBQ shite....

Back in game....Not sure where I was or why......

I'm sure engineers is a form of early onset dementia.....

Every time I log back in...I have forgotten what it was I was doing and what I need for an up/downgrade that I cannot remember anyway....

Anyway..... Good point which everybody probably knows apart from me is.........

Needed rep for a grade 3 upgrade from Elivra...Had the stuff but not the grade......Soooo flew off and did a bit of exploration....

Handed it in...Still not enough.....Balls....

Then the dulcet tones of a certain Lori says....Why not just waste shit on a lower upgrade and discard it....That'll give you rep.....

By jove my man.....Blinding idea.....Seeing as I had about 25 rolls for a grade one sthg or other......I gone done that.....

One grade 3 thermal shields and one grade 4 FSD range later.....

I thank you my dear man......

Contrary to popular belief these bloody foreigners have their uses......

:D

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:52 pm

Xebeth wrote:... (whoever thought crafting without storage was a good idea should be bollocked) ...

If that means what I think, wouldn't that be redundant? :roll:

Can't even change ships w/ cargo. :?
It's time to give this another go.

Trinity Star
Master
Master
CMDR: Trinity Star

Postby Trinity Star » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:04 pm

Made some changes to the Corvette, weapons are now:

Huge Gimballed Beam Level 2 Sturdy Mount
Huge Gimballed Beam Level 2 Sturdy Mount - Thermal Shock Effect
Large Multi-cannon
Weapons Focused Distributer Level 3
The smaller weapons all multi-cannons.

If the Devs wanted a smarter AI then that AI's decisions should be smarter, why would an Elite Anaconda risk attacking a battle corvette over 4 tonnes of cargo that wouldn't even cover it's fuel costs let alone the damage it would sustain if it survived the encounter?

Falcon_D
Master
Master
CMDR: Falcon Darkstar

Postby Falcon_D » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:34 am

Hello,
Got intradicted by a competent FGS last night. Managed to out manouver it and destroy it, but the thing that puzzled me was that it didn't bother to open fire. Got intradicted again by another FGS as I was just siting in SC in the same system. Blew it up but at least this one put up a fight.
On another mission, got intradicted by a deadly Conda. Started to fight it. Got it's hull to 90% but it got mine to 72%. Decided to bug out. Made the mistake of not targeting it's power plant. But even with my grade 3 thruster upgrade, I could barely out manouver the Conda, in my Python. The Conda then keeps following me all the way to the station but no more intradictions.

Don't really get this AI. And sometimes I really wish they would un-nerf the Python.

Also, if it wasn't for the ability to fly my Python, I'd probably quit the game. The best part of being dirt side is watching my Python take-off and land.

Have fun, fly safe. o7

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath

Postby Loriath » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:04 am

Cmdr Kharma wrote:...

Then the dulcet tones of a certain Lori says....Why not just waste shit on a lower upgrade and discard it....That'll give you rep.....

By jove my man.....Blinding idea.....Seeing as I had about 25 rolls for a grade one sthg or other......I gone done that.....

We do. :P

Although I am sort of surprised that I came up with that idea considering the mood that I was in.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

charlie2alpha
Expert
Expert
CMDR: charlie2alpha

Postby charlie2alpha » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:10 am

Seeing people like Shioban quit, and the words of Xebeth and Phillipus just echoes for me all the stuff I've been saying a while back. I was accused of being a whiner at the time but I I didn't quit Elite, I just removed myself from all this mess, I changed career and became an explorer and a Fuel Rat now. No NPCs to annoy me at 3500 ly from the bubble.

After CNB expedition ends I will probably try a little for an FSD upgrade with Farseer and then head out of the bubble again, probably for months this time.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:00 am

Since ranking with "The Dweller" was easier by mining (and you can only get praseodymium that way) the anaconda is back to a mining configuration.
https://coriolis.io/outfit/anaconda/0pp ... =Elizabeth

In fact I like this biuld so well I use it for multipurpose.

Tried the cutter and although, yes that looks great on paper it's just work for some weird reason.
Especially the shields, the cutter couldn't even handle an eagle, but this anaconda has fought off elite FAS's.

Power is tight, very tight, in fact I have had to setup power groups so all the pulse lasers turn off when I manually switch on the mining lasers.
If combat comes calling those must be powered down for me to have anything to pew pew with.

I have no mods on the anaconda, been putting those into my exploration clipper and the corvette.
Most noticeable mod on the vette, the rank 3 pds high charge mod, it can practically perma fire two huge pulses, or all the smaller lasers.

Now off to dump 200 tons of gold at Lei Chungs feet so he can get me some high resistance bi-weaves :)

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:03 am

Loriath wrote:
Cmdr Kharma wrote:...

We do. :P

Although I am sort of surprised that I came up with that idea considering the mood that I was in.

You seriously didn't think of that sooner ?
I came up with that in beta 1.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Return to “General Discussion”