Engineers 2.1 Beta - findings so far

Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Phillipus
Expert
Expert
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Engineers 2.1 Beta - findings so far

Postby Phillipus » Thu May 05, 2016 8:28 pm

Good evening Commanders. I've downloaded Engineers 2.1 beta2 and these are my preliminary findings. Will add more as time goes on.

NPC AI - Went to a Hi-RES. NPCs are more slippery now. They have more evasive tactics. This was a problem when I was in my Cutter. :-) When their shields go down, they high-tail it and I found that I couldn't keep up with them. A FDL ran away 50km away from the centre of the RES whilst its shields were down! Seems to be more jousting.

New Weapons - Put a Huge beam laser on my Cutter, that seemed to do the job and didn't drain the cap. 2 Large MCs on top were OK but didn't seem to stay on target very well. But now here's the thing you really want to try...2 Huge MCs on the top of a Corvette. Oh yes, oh yes. :evil:

MIssions - Payout for the better missions was good - some in the millions. And I saw a Kill Pirate Lord mission paying 1 million!

More to follow...

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Re: Engineers 2.1 Beta - findings so far

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Thu May 05, 2016 8:31 pm

Well, when my shields go down I run away. Seems more realistic. Better than just sitting there like a roast on a spit (apparently fixed as well).
It's time to give this another go.

Phillipus
Expert
Expert

Postby Phillipus » Thu May 05, 2016 8:37 pm

Just noticed that Shadows on Asteroids look terrible.

The NPC running away when shields are down is OK. I just don't bother chasing them if I'm in a slower boat. Trouble is if the cops finish him off before he comes back they get the bounty. :D

Oh, and they seem to carry a lot of chaff - more than the max in one module.

blazingmaniac
Expert
Expert
CMDR: blazing

Postby blazingmaniac » Thu May 05, 2016 10:32 pm

NPC's now drop some very interesting cargo,lots of new crafting materials, and you seem to be able to obtain cartographic info from just scanning the NPC's, not even a KWS just the normal scan. When you next dock, see if you have any Cartographic info to sell, chances are you will.

Darr Valen
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Darr Valen
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Darr Valen » Thu May 05, 2016 11:40 pm

Won't let me download the beta for engineers with through Horizons or the regular Elite launcher..

Any suggestions? I assumed I'd have beta access since I purchased Horizons beta access in my pre-order.

Nethaufer
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Nethaufer

Postby Nethaufer » Thu May 05, 2016 11:48 pm

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:Well, when my shields go down I run away. Seems more realistic. Better than just sitting there like a roast on a spit (apparently fixed as well).

When my shields go down, I just keep power down my single shield booster and keep engaging them. Hull tank FAS, for reference.

Anyone have a run in with NPCs using the engineer modified weapons? Heard that was possible.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Fri May 06, 2016 12:27 am

Nethaufer wrote:
Roger Wilco Jr wrote:Well, when my shields go down I run away. Seems more realistic. Better than just sitting there like a roast on a spit (apparently fixed as well).

When my shields go down, I just keep power down my single shield booster and keep engaging them. Hull tank FAS, for reference.

Anyone have a run in with NPCs using the engineer modified weapons? Heard that was possible.

Well first you have to go to them.
Then schmooze them and then go hunting for buttloads of crap.
I would give it a few days before we find any traction on it.
There is also the usual beta shenanigans of dropped server connections,and ransom ctd's to contend with.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Nethaufer
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Nethaufer

Postby Nethaufer » Fri May 06, 2016 12:38 am

TorTorden wrote:
Nethaufer wrote:

Well first you have to go to them.
Then schmooze them and then go hunting for buttloads of crap.
I would give it a few days before we find any traction on it.
There is also the usual beta shenanigans of dropped server connections,and ransom ctd's to contend with.

I was more meaning if you encountered NPC ships using Engineer weapons on you. Read somewhere on the official forums that someone was attacked by an NPC with the ones that pierce through shields.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Fri May 06, 2016 1:19 am

I may have seen an NPC with something custom, but I don't think it was weapon - maybe a scanner.

Not too thrilled with the large multicannon on a Vulture. Although a single laser only needs 2 pips in weapons.

Once I scooped some materials I got some engineer invites (after landing).
It's time to give this another go.

The-Dead-Meat
Novice
Novice
CMDR: The-Dead-Meat

Postby The-Dead-Meat » Fri May 06, 2016 1:31 am

Darr Valen wrote:Won't let me download the beta for engineers with through Horizons or the regular Elite launcher..

Any suggestions? I assumed I'd have beta access since I purchased Horizons beta access in my pre-order.

I'm not 100% sure but you might try logging into the frontier store and from the "MY DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCTS" section see if you can find a beta launcher. I downloaded the launcher for the 'Lifetime Expansion Pass' and that updated my launcher to v0.4.5499 (version string is in the lower left of the launcher application).

After updating the launcher I was then able to select the beta 2.1 client from beside the 'play' button and start the download (sync files).

Launcher.jpg
Launcher.jpg (23.96 KiB) Viewed 3230 times

Return to “General Discussion”