Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
shadragon
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Shadragon & Drain Bamaged & CuteLilBunny
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Handling Mobius Parasites

Postby shadragon » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:41 pm

Parasite (Noun): a person who habitually relies on or exploits others and gives nothing in return.

I've had issues with three :twisted: CMDR's during the CG over the last few days. Two jumped me and the third hung around outside a station pleading with me to blow them up. I suppose he wanted to get a screenshot of me shooting him. In all cases, I could have destroyed them easily. I play in Open often and a scrap does not phase me. However, I left them alone, left the scene, then reported them, but it seems to me that since the mass incursion a few weeks ago, more people are jumping into Mobius for some one-sided fun. They are usually in Sideys or cheap ships, but one guy had an FDL.

Traditionally, we report these vermin to the mods and they are removed, but more take their place. We need to make things more uncomfortable for anyone who does this. Here is what I propose:

I know the public reputation of Mobius is that we're all gun shy care bears, but the reality is there are a lot of combat capable people who play in both Mobius and Open. Let's tap into that talent pool. We set up a sub-group within Mobius like the Fuel-rats. Call then Marshals, Enforcers, Avengers, Judges (I am the law), Harry Callahan's, whatever. If a report is made of a problem CMDR a Marshal drops into that system.

Here's the protocol they will use.

1) All encounters are video recorded in their entirety.

2) There will be no verbal abuse, harassment, baiting, egging on or threats from Marshals. Marshals will respond in self-defence only with CMDR's making the first aggressive act. That can be combat, ramming, or any other disruptive act.

3) The Marshal will carry on normally in that system and try to look like a normal player. If attacked, they will try to disengage with their weapons stowed. If pursued and the attack continues, the Marshal (and any others in support) is clear to engage them. * A warning is optional, depending on the circumstances.

4) Once resolved, the video is uploaded as "unlisted" and the link submitted to Mobius and Mods via PM as a video record of what happened for further action, as necessary.

* - In Mobius rules, PVP is not allowed unless both parties consent. If fired upon, the other CMDR is showing they want a fight. That lets the Marshal choose whether the CMDR has violated the rules enough to warrant destruction. They can engage if they choose (and that is the paradigm shift.) So technically, the Marshall is not acting outside of the groups rules.

The problem with screenshots is it does not tell the whole story. A player could be goaded into action and they get banned from the group for it. I think it's time Mobius pushed back. It is our group and bloodying the nose of a few bullies with a few million rebuy before kicking them out will work better long term. This has to be controlled and that's why we need the mandatory video. Every action by a Marshal will be viewed by Mobius / Mods and any Marshal abusing the system will be kicked out. Anyone with an NVIDIA card has Shadowplay by default and there are many freeware vid recorders out there.

Anyone who still wants to run from a conflict, can. PVP is still handled the same way. Nothing changes except the parasites get what they deserve.

Opinions welcome.

Cheers.

David c
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Gramps

Re: Handling Mobius Parasites

Postby David c » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:03 pm

No I don't like your idea 'Shadragon' dress it up anyway you want and it still reads 'Revenge' to me. Knowing they will be removed from the Mobius group quickly is more than adequate for me.

Feldspar
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Feldspar

Postby Feldspar » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:05 pm

From the Mobius policy - "It is not allowed to attack another player for any reason outside of Conflict zone."

Setting up a group of bully boys to hand out "justice" goes straight against the ideals of the group. If you are looking for revenge, take it into open.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:10 pm

Completely unnecessary, and just sounds like you are trying to inflate the "infiltrations", it's really surprisingly few of these, and when they get a ban from mobius it is permanent and account based, even if they wipe their save and start over they would still be banned (FD gave mobius some extra tools to manage this).

This only happens during large CG's like this one in phiagre, and the first one I have heard of since the profitable trucking CG in lhs 3447.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

AndyB
Master
Master
CMDR: Andy Bulman

Postby AndyB » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:52 pm

Its a bad idea as it just gives the idiots what they want, an over reaction. if they know they can control how people play within the group it will only encourage them to do it more.

hopefully we will be getting better group management tools in the future so more than one person can be designated an admin and can remove people, once we get that removing offenders will be consistently quick as we won't be relying on the fact that Mobius is available to handle it, he does a great job but he can't be there 24/7 just in case someone decides to play the fool.
Combat: Elite Trade: Elite Exploration: Elite

Mobius PvE Group Facebook Admin,
Mobius PvE Group Forum Moderator,
Mobius PvE Lead Admin,
Mobius PvE America Lead Admin,
Mobius Factions Assistant Admin,
Mobius PvE Eurasia Assistant Admin,

IronDuke
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Iron Duke

Postby IronDuke » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:01 pm

The proposed idea is counter to the ethos Mobius. It would not only remove any credibility of the group, but also inflame and perpetuate the issue at hand.
Distant Worlds Expedition 3302 | 65000 LY From SOL Club

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Loriath » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:08 pm

Few Flaws in your idea.

1. Mobius Rules clearly state that no attack or aggression to another commander is allowed except under the CZ rules. Even interdicting is aggression and can lead to a ban. So your actions would lead to you being banned, cause the rules are not changing.

2. Shadow play is not Enabled by default. I don't have it installed by choice, and I can't even use it unless I want to record and play at 5-10FPS. Those that do, 90% have no idea how to enable it and record.

3. Violence begets Violence. It would only serve to escalate. "Oh look the Care Bears are fighting back, lets go get them Billy Bob!" No thanks.

4. The vast majority of people in this group don't even log into the forums or have accounts. And they don't need to. Until shit happens.

5. We are here to play the game, not police it. I don't patrol my neighbourhood in reality because its not needed. If shit happens, I call the cops. In group, if shit happens, snap some pics, get some evidence and report it to the Admins.

6. Entrapment in a civilized society is not allowed. We are civilized here. They may not be, but I will be dammed if I will stoop to their level

7. This is the old "If it saves one life" mantra that gives us stupid crap in real life like Instructions on a Hair Dryer that says "Don't Use while IN the Shower". Do I really need a 26 page booklet with a pair of Rubber Boots so I don't do something stupid like wear them swimming? The Darwin factor will weed out the idiots and we have better things to do than playing Cops and Robbers (personally, I need to trim some nose hairs).

8. Videos can be rigged, faked and photoshopped pics can happen too. Mobius and the Admins have better things to do than deal with Baby Shit like this. (Besides, Mobius can tell if a pic has been PhotoShopped, trust me..... :P)

9. If you want to be a vigilante with a video camera, remember, this ain't TMZ.

10. Its a game. Shit happens. Its not that big of a deal. I have lost more ships to stupidity myself than the total of all that have been lost by idiots doing PVP against the rules in Mobius since he started the group.

In the time I took to write this, I could have made another 3 Million in Profit. If anyone that has been blown up by idiots inside Mobius and are that hard up for the funds to continue, tell them to hit me up in game. I am sure I can drop enough cargo for them to help them out because we are civilized.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

Crimson
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Crimson Paladin

Postby Crimson » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:46 pm

I understand shadragon's thinking, but have to agree with the group. Escalation begets escalation. Better to leave the area and rob the idiots of their fun. After a while, they'll decide it isn't worth it and that they have better things to do.

That said, I'm very careful to look for hollow squares or triangles and verify that every target name is not preceded with CMDR.

I also try to stop and shout out to any CMDR's I stumble across - I always leave them with a "Fly Safe!". I'd love to wing up, but I'm not looking to be a Clingon (spelling and pun intended). I usually give other Commanders space so we don't ruin each other's day (unless they want to join up).

In short, 99.9% of the time it's me vs. NPCs. When I do meet up with a fellow Commander, I greet and treat with respect and try to let them have their space. I might have been attacked once, but it happened so fast I just stowed my weapons and headed out. Not worth the grief.

That said, I'm not sure I wouldn't take it to someone if after all my politeness they were insistent on ruining my day. The Star Ranger can take a few hits, so I have the luxury of being a little patient, but that wears thin if you can't get away. This is where I can see myself agreeing with shadragon's point about "if fired upon, the other CMDR is showing they want a fight". If you've not been antagonistic, have opened comms to try and reason (even if it's a quick "HEY! Stop shooting me!") and tried to disengage to no avail, then wouldn't it be acceptable to turn and fight as a last resort? Should we allow ourselves to get blown up, or do we log off and hope that saves our ship?

I enjoy the thought of playing in an "open" group that shares the same "to each his own" attitude. I know that some bad people still will slip through. I dunno... It just seems like there might be something we can do besides turn every cheek and run or else risk being banned.

Also, I think the rules of the group should be required reading. I know I stumbled on them, and agree with them completely, but maybe when people join the group point them to the post so they know what's expected of them?

At any rate, love the game, love the group, and don't want to cause any trouble.

Fly Safe!
- Crimson

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Xebeth » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:40 pm

CMDR shadragon, whilst I understand your frustration, your proposal has the potential to cause more issues than it solves, others have already highlighted some of the potential problems but I'll add one more, when it became known that there was an internal police force, they would immediately become a target for those who's intentions were less than honourable. Either people would actively seek them out, or make a point of having avoided them as some sort of prize.

As you'll see from your PMs, these issues are taken seriously and action is taken as swiftly as is practicable.

What I will say however is that these incidents are very rare, and whilst they tend to generate lots of talk and sometimes publicity, that talk and publicity tends to ignore the thousands of CMDRs who do stick to the rules.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Falcon_D
Master
Master
CMDR: Falcon Darkstar

Postby Falcon_D » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:28 am

I had a suggestion awhile back on how to permanently alleviate this problem. However, this solution can only be implemented by Frontier. And that is to allow groups to set a PvE flag and let the game prevent PvP.

The thing that makes me proud of being a Mobius commander, so proud in fact that I tell my RL friends about it even when they don't play Elite. Is that nothing in game that prevents you from shooting or using any other form of "griefing" against another commander. The way Mobius functions is purely by mutual agreement where a Gentleman's or Lady's word is his or her bond. That's why I get p***** of at people who break the rules on purpose because you are basically breaking your own word/agreement that you gave when you joined Mobius. Even though this is a game (especially since this is a game), breaking your word just goes to show your true character IRL.

Having a police force to police people who break their word is not really something I would support. I understand the frustration. I've been one who lost my Vette to one of these scum, cause I refuse to play their game. But I for one cannot condone someone watching over me to make sure I keep my word.

Have fun, fly safe. o7

Return to “General Discussion”