Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

No off-line mode

Postby GlobusDiablo » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:59 pm

Thought we might just as well start a thread.

Thoughts?

I really think that FD has to rethink this. First off, they promised it in Kick starter. Second off, what happens after say 7 years, when FD close the servers?

I've been playing Frontier: Elite 2 for 25 years, and hope to play Elite: Dangerous long after servers close. This in now impossible.

Mr_Average
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Mr_Average
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: No off-line mode

Postby Mr_Average » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:09 pm

If they're clever, they'd propose the possibly to setup your own server (like Call of Duty did in days past).

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:17 pm

If they were clever....

They might just have had an inkling that no offline mode would provoke a substantial backlash.......

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

SJT
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Stephen Taylor

Postby SJT » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:41 pm

It's spread to at least four gaming news sites already. Pretty good for a Saturday. I hope they have a good crisis management plan.

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:02 pm

Great..............

Game will be slated before it's even released.............

And reviewers of final game will remember this............

FD have fucked up in a big way I think..............

I love the game......But I think they have really dropped the ball..............

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo

Postby GlobusDiablo » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:04 pm

Cmdr Kharma wrote:Great..............

Game will be slated before it's even released.............

And reviewers of final game will remember this............

FD have fucked up in a big way I think..............

I love the game......But I think they have really dropped the ball..............

I'd really hate to see this becoming a habit, but I agree with you completely Kharma.... :)

Vikinger
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Vulcor

Postby Vikinger » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:15 pm

I never planned to play in offline mode so for me its not a big deal.
As I want to be a part in the evolving galaxy, and that would not be possible in an static offline mode.

I have confident in FD and iam still looking forward to the release even if not all content will be in at the start.

Only concern around the offline mode is when they shut down the servers. But I also think if that happens they will make an offline/ single player game. This game is an Icon and should be able to be played long time after they shut down the servers.

Artie
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Artie

Postby Artie » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:05 am

I think majority of players rants about it just because it was promised on Kickstarter and because it's a "trend" now. Most of them never intended to play offline anyway. Some of them maybe liked that as an option. And for very few it will be serious stopper (but they need to download the game still, so they must be able to access internet). I think whole thing is just dramatised by players and no serious reviewer will take it as a major drawback.

Zarkon
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Zarkon

Postby Zarkon » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:17 am

And if FD announced next Friday that the stutter in SC is caused by the grouping code, and that they are removing the solo and group gameplay option, then that too is just a small feature that only a few disgruntled backers would complain about. Over reacting over something that only a few players would really be using. Please don't disrespect people who where actually counting on internet free gameplay for whatever reasons they might have had. There's too much of that going on over on the main forums already.

I quite understand that it's a call FD had to make, that doesn't make it suck any less. I originally backed ED for the DRM-free Premium Disk set as well, but I upped my pledge to Alpha when I realized that the testing process was going to take much longer than was originally stated. One good thing has come from this so far though. There seems to be no one complaining about group-swapping atm. And this might very well bring in more PvP's who are thrilled that the 'carebears' have one less place to hide.

Artie
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Artie

Postby Artie » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:53 am

Don't get me wrong, I fully respect that players with limited internet access have a good reason to rant about this decision. I have no problem with them. But on official board I saw also ranting from players which stated they are not so much interested in offline play. That's the thing I do not understand - why I should rant about something missing, which I won't use anyway? It seems pointless to me, that's why I am calling this case as overly dramatised. :)

Return to “General Discussion”