randleog
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: JoeLeTaxi
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

My little Anaconda mail-slot checklist.

Postby randleog » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:22 am

Handy Tips for trading up from the T9 to the Anaconda
Failing to do some of these things cost me around 30M Cr. So I thought I’d write it down so I don’t forget:
1. Research ship discounts and realise that the top discount is 15% not 10%. (celebrate)
2. The windscreen is right at the top - the opposite place to the T9.
3. Watch YouTube videos of CMDRs negotiating the outgoing mail slot.
4. Note where the straight line level is when arriving at a station using the docking computer.
5. When upgrading the default loadout on purchase – keep the Shields (at first) even if you don’t normally use them.
6. The nose is there to confuse you. It slopes down at an angle and creates the illusion that your nose is dipping/rising when you’re in the slot. Don’t panic and make a last minute correction; you could get stuck in the slot. Vertical thrusters only, if you have to.
7. Take off and sight the slot from end to end. Before moving forward at any speed; ensure that your eye-line is in the top quarter/third of the slot.
8. Raise your wheels before moving forward. (Important. Once in the cage, they become hooks!)
9. Don’t hit boost by mistake.
10. Whatever you do, don’t make corrections in the slot unless you’re stuck already.
11. Go through on your chosen course at a reasonable speed. Too slow, and you’ll get jammed by the rotation.
12. Practice entering and re-entering the slot in dry runs two or three times before loading up with cargo.
13. If you can manage it – grind twice the insurance reserve just in case you die straight away and can’t afford the cargo reload. (so that’s around 14M instead of 7.5M).
Last edited by randleog on Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clivewil
Master
Master
CMDR: clivewil + clivus
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: My little Anaconda mail-slot checklist.

Postby clivewil » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:40 am

i turned on the mouse pipper in Options (and no i don't use a mouse to fly)

that little dot always points at the centre, and it doesn't lie. so no matter which ship you're flying, if the dot is in the centre of the mail slot, you'll go through*

*assuming you're not trying to go through sideways or at a sixty degree angle or while thrusting upwards or other silliness. we humans are able to ruin any good system if we try hard enough.
-- Fly safely, shoot straight, kill quickly, land softly --

Skipp
Master
Master
CMDR: Skipp Doe

Postby Skipp » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:16 am

Ah... the joys of flying the Anaconda.

I think the biggest problem with that ship is it's belly. It really takes a while to get used to the fact that the whole ship is actually below you and you almost need to scrape the top of your ship on the mailslot to get through.

I never got stuck but i repainted my anaconda very often the first few times i docked. However, i always found the thursters to be a BIG no-no inside the mailslot because the ship is very sluggish - and once it starts drifting, there's no way of stopping it without hitting the slot and getting stuck.

What i did was align the nose at the very top of the mailslot so it looks like you're going to hit it at the top. And right when you're about to come close - you just tip your nose down and go through without a scratch.

Funny thing - Now when i'm in a Cutter - I can easily dock without even breaking a sweat. Dunno if it's just because the cockpit is at the front of the ship or because it's not that fat... but it's soooo much easier it's ridiculous.
ImageImage

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:30 am

clivewil wrote:i turned on the mouse pipper in Options (and no i don't use a mouse to fly)

that little dot always points at the centre, and it doesn't lie. so no matter which ship you're flying, if the dot is in the centre of the mail slot, you'll go through*

*assuming you're not trying to go through sideways or at a sixty degree angle or while thrusting upwards or other silliness. we humans are able to ruin any good system if we try hard enough.

This would NOT WORK for the anaconda, and why people have an issue.
At best you would be almost scraping that big belly along the bottom.

The trick is realising that the cockpit viewpoint is actually above the ships hit boxes, if you do it right you can have the camera clip the top of the mailslot going out without hitting it.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

AndyB
Master
Master
CMDR: Andy Bulman

Postby AndyB » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:17 pm

TorTorden wrote:
clivewil wrote:i turned on the mouse pipper in Options (and no i don't use a mouse to fly)

This would NOT WORK for the anaconda, and why people have an issue.
At best you would be almost scraping that big belly along the bottom.

The trick is realising that the cockpit viewpoint is actually above the ships hit boxes, if you do it right you can have the camera clip the top of the mailslot going out without hitting it.

My trick is lining the centre line of your fire groups up with the top of the lighted strip at each side of the letterbox, enter or exit that way and you can get in and out with your landing gear down.
Combat: Elite Trade: Elite Exploration: Elite

Mobius PvE Group Facebook Admin,
Mobius PvE Group Forum Moderator,
Mobius PvE Lead Admin,
Mobius PvE America Lead Admin,
Mobius Factions Assistant Admin,
Mobius PvE Eurasia Assistant Admin,

clivewil
Master
Master
CMDR: clivewil + clivus

Postby clivewil » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:44 pm

TorTorden wrote:This would NOT WORK for the anaconda

my Anaconda disagrees.
-- Fly safely, shoot straight, kill quickly, land softly --

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:02 pm

clivewil wrote:
TorTorden wrote:This would NOT WORK for the anaconda

my Anaconda disagrees.

Right, they made the mailslot a little fatter with 1.5\2.0 for the cutter.

Before when I got my conda in 1.3, aiming square for the center was a recipie for a repair bill.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Qu1cks1lva
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Qu1cks1lva

Postby Qu1cks1lva » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:17 pm

As long as you feel the need to duck when you go through the slot you should be fine, whether landing gear is deployed or not ^-^

Bonus points if a conda is passing you in the opposite direction at the same time ;)

Lestat
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Vercingertorix

Postby Lestat » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:31 am

I only flown the Anaconda once before. In Alpha testing. :shock:. I just got the Anaconda last week. Well never had a problem. I had a few bumps. But no ship or shield damage. But with my Dual joystick setup I am able to Rotate the right speed and a slow throttle In or out. With no issue.

uvelius
Master
Master
CMDR: Uvelius Sång

Postby uvelius » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:54 am

Getting *in* wasn't a problem for me (now even less with background music ... :D ).
getting *out* prooved to be the tricky bit though ... (without the log out trick).

Return to “General Discussion”