sinaarrgghh
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Sinaarrgghh
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Killed by overconfidence...

Postby sinaarrgghh » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:50 am

.. and a couple of imperial clippers!

Was in LHS 3447 last night for my last night of contributing to the community goal. Only had about an hour so I decided to go straight to the RES from Lawson Orbital instead of cashing in the bounties I had first (almost a mill)

I'm floating around looking at the contacts pane when I pancake into an asteroid. Shields gone, hull down to 75%, decide I can probably deal with a few NPC's. For some idiot reason I then decide to go for a pair of imp. clippers. I can deal with 1 easy in my vulture but 2 in a wing is probably pushing my luck a bit anyway.

Clearly that wasn't going to work so when the second wingman started on me I had to run. Was 2 bars off the jump to supercruise when they managed to trash my thrusters. A mill in bounties, almost 800k in bounties for the empire and the independents. 900k insurance.

It's probably not a lot to some of you but I was gutted. It made it worse when it dawned on me later that I hadn't even used my chaff or shield cells.

Just felt the need to share, rant over! :)

TDLR: I'm an idiot that can't fly!

Skipp
Master
Master
CMDR: Skipp Doe

Re: Killed by overconfidence...

Postby Skipp » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:01 am

Eh, it happens :)

Last night I was RES hunting in HIP 20277. I switched to a Vulture which means nothing can tail me and I can tank anything with 1300 hull armor. So - why not take on a wing of 5 pythons? :D

I boosted in, started mashing one of them and just soaked all the dps from the other 4. I actually managed to kill one and run away laughing at the other 4 with 60ish % hull. But it's mostly because the Vulture is very agile. I remember being blown up in my early bounty-hunting days quite a lot.

But, as long as you can afford your insurance - you'll come out of it with new experience of what not to do :D
ImageImage

charlie2alpha
Expert
Expert
CMDR: charlie2alpha

Postby charlie2alpha » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:45 am

Confidence is good, but I learnt it's best to have the biggest Guns/Shields/Ship available to kill as fast as possible and take loads of damage without needing tons of SCBs. I participate in the LHS 3447 event myself, but I do it with my Federal Corvete.

sinaarrgghh
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Sinaarrgghh

Postby sinaarrgghh » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:06 am

Skipp wrote:Eh, it happens :)

Last night I was RES hunting in HIP 20277. I switched to a Vulture which means nothing can tail me and I can tank anything with 1300 hull armor. So - why not take on a wing of 5 pythons? :D

I boosted in, started mashing one of them and just soaked all the dps from the other 4. I actually managed to kill one and run away laughing at the other 4 with 60ish % hull. But it's mostly because the Vulture is very agile. I remember being blown up in my early bounty-hunting days quite a lot.

But, as long as you can afford your insurance - you'll come out of it with new experience of what not to do :D

5 Pythons? Damn I'd have left the whole system!

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby JohnLuke » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:18 am

I think that almost every time that I've died, it's been due to overconfidence. :oops:

The most recent event was a couple of months ago when I took on a wing of 3 FAS/FGS in the Corvette that I had recently purchased (and felt was indestructible). Boy was I wrong. :cry: (I've learned how to fly it much better since then, though)

Prior to that, my less exciting deaths had been mostly from a "I can finish this kill before he kills me" mentality. You'd think that after a few times of that not working out, I would have learned my lesson.

It happens to all of us. ;)
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Skipp
Master
Master

Postby Skipp » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:24 am

Most of my confidence came after flying small, hard-to-hit, agile ships like the courier and the vulture. Like I said - I soooo got used to being comfy in my python i never cared about taking hits - That beast can soak anything and just go into a head-to-head fight without even breaking a sweat.

I started in the Courier and I still hop into it every day because it's awesome and fun to just stick to the back of anacondas/pythons/clippers and look their shields melt without a thing they can do about it. :D

But, as always - Fly safe o7
ImageImage

robfm81
Expert
Expert
CMDR: ROBFM81
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby robfm81 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:35 am

What weapon loadout do you have in the courier skipp?

If you want to survive out here, you've got to know where your towel is.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:02 pm

My first python and I go up against a wing of something.
It is poorly fitted since I only had about 50 mil put together.

I soonly find myself in over my head and start heading out of mass lock but as soon as I get there and my drive is about to kick in.
My thrusterson get destroyed and I loose velocity. No cruise for me.

All the while having some python and his wingman throwing laser bolts and whatnot at me.
I figure last ditch effort, reboot and repair.

But I'm a little flustered at this point and hit the self destruct option instead....
I had just enough for a single rebuy so all was not entirely lost.

But seriously that self destruct button shouldn't be right below the repair button..

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Skipp
Master
Master

Postby Skipp » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:29 pm

robfm81 wrote:What weapon loadout do you have in the courier skipp?

Here's my tough little Courier. I swap the hull reinforcement for the fuelscoop if I'm heading somewhere further than a few jumps away.
ImageImage

Itaki
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Itaki

Postby Itaki » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:15 pm

sinaarrgghh wrote:.. and a couple of imperial clippers!

My first hour in a Fed Dropship ... I was so impressed by it's destructive power (relative to what I'd been flying) that I took on an NPC wing. Oops. lol. It was my biggest rebuy and I sold it and downsized to an Asp for a while. :)

A few months later, getting reacquainted with the Dropship... slowly.

Hang in there.

Return to “General Discussion”