Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Khali Nephtys
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Khali Nephtys
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

My Approach To Mobius.

Postby Khali Nephtys » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:58 pm

In light of recent events ( SDC et al ), I thought I would share my personal approach to the Mobius group, just to see if other players have a similar approach or even perhaps feel I might be "doing it wrong."

Some of you may remember me from a thread about a year ago, where I was attacked in Lave by a certain commander who had infiltrated Mobius for the express purpose of pvp'ing in a pve group. It wasn't a big deal, but the recent SDC non event seemed quite similar in many ways. The chest beating and excuses for their actions etc, 'we were doing it to make the game more exciting for everyone!' and so on, all seemed very familiar.

Anyway my purpose for posting isn't to dig up the past events, but rather to discuss my personal method for dealing with other players within the Mobius group. I played eve online for around 8 years, so with that in mind I always view unknown players with suspicion, and view them as a potential threat even within this group.

If I am bounty hunting in a RES, and I see another Cmdr appear on my radar, the first thing I will do is target them and turn to face them so I can get a good scan of who they are, and what they are flying. I will then make a threat assessment based on that information, and usually give them some room to do their thing while I continue to do mine. My point here is that I always assume hostile intent, and prepare for that eventuality until I see what they are going to do.

So my question here being, is this what other players here do? Do you think my approach is perhaps going contrary to the spirit of Mobius by making the assumption of hostile intent rather than assuming the opposite by default?
Last edited by Khali Nephtys on Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You can kiss my Asp!"

Mobius
Master
Master
CMDR: Mobius

Re: My Approach To Mobius.

Postby Mobius » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:05 pm

not at all, and I think most players do this just to identify who else is in the instance with them, though we do get infiltrated every now and even then its quickly dealt with.

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Loriath » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:12 pm

No, I don't think your premise of assuming hostile intent is wrong, but I think in this group it is a misgiving. I am the opposite, I think that every other player in this group is friendly. Your background is probably part of that instinctual reaction of 'Danger'.

Are there people in this group that have attacked me? Not intentionally at this point (I have been interdicted once, and it was because of a bug that made my radar contact appear solid). That may change.

Are there players in this group I have issues with? Absolutely. Its a large group. Not everyone will automatically get along. I can think of a few people off the top of my head that I can not stand, and some that I do not trust. Such is life.

But the option I have here in the group is Ignore them. At least I know that the person I am ignoring is bound by the same rules as I am.

In a RES I never worry about another Cmdr. that is there. I will say hello and if I notice that we are getting to close, I will move off. If we chat and want to Wing, no problem. If I find my connection is causing some issues, I will switch modes so that I don't accidentally hit them, kill steal, or impede their enjoyment.

In a CZ, its different. If I go in, and there is another Cmdr, I make note of which side. If it is the opposite, I tend to avoid them and let them know. I have gone up against other Cmdrs. in CZ's. I have kicked some ass, and had my ass handed to me. I have been destroyed, and just beaten and left to run away. I have destroyed and let live. It is the only place that the PvP is allowed, and I know that going in.

In the rest of the game, I have the entire group as being allies in my mind. There may be a time that I am attacked, but until then, I play PhP
(Players Helping Players).
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

Khali Nephtys
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby Khali Nephtys » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:22 pm

Yes that's kind of the opposite to me, glass half empty vs half full. It got me thinking if perhaps my approach was negating the benefits of the group, as it does make me appear less friendly to other Cmdrs I encounter in space. I suppose I am just trying to get a 'feel' for how other players here view unknown Cmdrs, and also if recent events have changed this for you?
"You can kiss my Asp!"

duane656
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Jackson Grey

Postby duane656 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:24 pm

Sounds like a sensible approach, I just don't automatically assume players are hostile in Mobius.

I normally see the dead giveaway that they interdict me. Now I know that is probably too late, but if someone in this game wants to get you (and they have superior numbers/equipment) the chances are they will unless you high wake and change server. Plus if they do pull you out of cruse then at least you can gather evidence (in the PvE area's anyway). While this approach won't be for all, I have found death (in game anyway) to be inevitable part of it to be dealt with in a philosophical manner (and self destructing and ramming them, even causing my own explosion, to help make me feel better).

Just my own crazy idea anyway. "Every man finds his own way of walking"

Siobhan
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Shivvi

Postby Siobhan » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:27 pm

I usually target them (though don't turn straight off), and send a "o7" or something to see if they respond. Also being previously of EVE I too am left a bit paranoid.

aaphebus
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby aaphebus » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:19 pm

Last edited by aaphebus on Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Golem
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Cmdr GolemXIV

Postby Golem » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:22 pm

For me everyone in this group is at first friendly and even the SDC attack on me will change that.

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath

Postby Loriath » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:57 pm

Khali Nephtys wrote:Yes that's kind of the opposite to me, glass half empty vs half full. It got me thinking if perhaps my approach was negating the benefits of the group, as it does make me appear less friendly to other Cmdrs I encounter in space. I suppose I am just trying to get a 'feel' for how other players here view unknown Cmdrs, and also if recent events have changed this for you?

It's a little difficult if your only experience has been MMO's that have no PvE option. I used to play Planetside 2 and other style games where there was nothing but Kill or be killed options. Playing my first time on SW:TOR I was extremely confused when I was on a PvE server and would get close to someone else. I assumed they would instant kill me (such as I was as bad there as I was at Planetside2). Took me a long time to realize it was different.

Give us a chance Khali, I am sure after a while you will see that you can relax more here. The SDC thing was an anomaly and far from the Norm.

aaphebus wrote:And you're doing well Cmdr, thanks again for pointing me out the prices at I Sola few days ago :) .

For me, recent events have totally change the way I play in Mobius; To be honest, Elite is my first experience online, never played online before essentially because of what's happening in ... open :) I work all day and need quiet and peaceful place to go when back at home and playing my favorite game. First time I played Elite, went in Open, and was blown up few times. Didn't understand what happened to me at the moment. So I played in Solo; Then I heard of Mobius, and since I wanted to benefit of playing online with nice people, I joined. First I was a little too naïve and played with weak ship, even shieldless, to transport maximum of cargo from one place to another and gain lot of money quickly. It was okay until I read about recent events.

You're welcome :)

Yep, when you come from the "WTH just happened?" experiences in open, you tend to be wary of the situation. But again, group is akin to playing solo with friends. And its never a good idea to run shieldless trading even with only NPC's to worry about. :P

Don't let the recent events change that. It is not the first time it has happened, and not the last. But they are dealt with quick. And even here, the chances are far less of running into that sort of behaviour than in open.

Here, you have a far greater chance being killed by inattentive piloting than by Pew Pew. ;) (I have been know to boost out smuggling not looking who was coming in. A Cobra at full boost with A rated shields stands a 50/50 chance against a loaded T9 lol)

Seriously people, the SDC thing is not typical, and is rare in the big picture. Even 10 cases in the total number of hours played by the members is a small percentage of an even smaller fraction.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

Khali Nephtys
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby Khali Nephtys » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:11 pm

Loriath wrote: Give us a chance Khali, I am sure after a while you will see that you can relax more here. The SDC thing was an anomaly and far from the Norm. <snip>

Seriously people, the SDC thing is not typical, and is rare in the big picture. Even 10 cases in the total number of hours played by the members is a small percentage of an even smaller fraction.

Oh I am fully prepared to give Mobius a chance, it's my preferred way to play elite, just oddly enough in the time I have been playing in the group I have been attacked twice by other players, once in the incident in the thread a year ago, and more recently in a CZ by someone on the same side as me! So statistically I seem to attract those types more often than average, it's something I am used to. My friends call it the 'Neph' effect even NPCs seem to prefer me as their default target! :D
"You can kiss my Asp!"

Return to “General Discussion”