Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Darwin
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Darwin
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Imperial Cutter - combat and loadouts

Postby Darwin » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:52 am

After my recent loss in the Exioce CZ, I decided that hull re-inforcement and armour was mostly irrelevent when being rammed, so I put together a general go anywhere do anything lightweight build.
Could go off Barnacle hunting or exploring at the drop of a hat, and equally drop into a CZ or RES and could still run trading / delivery missions. Materials crafting can also supply reloads for the cannons.
Needs carefull power management and priorities, but is more nimble due to the loss in weight. Helps with jump range as well.
http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=70_,4yS4y ... w2jw2UI0nE
Lowers the rebuy as well.
“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time”
CMDR Darwin, Inara profile

Phillipus
Expert
Expert

Postby Phillipus » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:55 pm

In the end I've settled on this loadout - http://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_cutt ... cy%20Shift

The turrets are useful as the Cutter is slow in turning, and the main pulses can take down the shields, followed by the cannons. The strong shields ensure that this ship can tank its way through most situations.

(Edit: slight change to loadout)

Phillipus
Expert
Expert

Postby Phillipus » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:29 pm

Continuing on my never-ending quest to find the best PvE combat loadout for the Cutter I'm now experimenting with class 3 beam turrets.

Here it is http://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_cutt ... cy%20Shift

The class 3 turreted beams are better for when targets are not right in front of you, but you have to be careful not to drain the capacitor. I wish I didn't have to use turrets, but it's really essential on a Cutter. The cannons are nice, though. :D

Phillipus
Expert
Expert

Postby Phillipus » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:11 pm

Slight mod to the last build. This uses a class 3 turreted beam laser and a class 3 gimballed beam laser. This combo is superior when you have the target in front of you and you can do more damage with the gimballed beam in combination with the turreted beam. Turreted weapon damage is a lot less than an equivalent gimballed or fixed weapon.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_cutt ... cy%20Shift

Pembroke
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Pembroke

Postby Pembroke » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:16 am

how well does the cutter turn for stuff like this with A rated thrusters? would it be possible to "get away with" gimbaled weapons with a lighter weight? sorry if this seems silly, most my combat happens in my dropship still to this day, I am not "up to date" on large ship combat
Looks like this dog does its own stunts.

Phillipus
Expert
Expert

Postby Phillipus » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:57 am

Pembroke wrote:how well does the cutter turn for stuff like this with A rated thrusters? would it be possible to "get away with" gimbaled weapons with a lighter weight? sorry if this seems silly, most my combat happens in my dropship still to this day, I am not "up to date" on large ship combat

It turns....very....slow....ly.....even with A rated thrusters. You can use gimballed weapons on it just fine, but if a nimble enemy gets behind you, you're going to find it takes a while to get back on target by just pitching up or down.

One technique is to boost, FA off and turn around, by which time you'll be about 3km away and the enemy will also be facing you, so this then turns into a jousting match (or "boom and zoom"). Or you can keep some distance between you and the enemy and use lots of FA off, roll and yaw (with some occasional reverse) to keep on target.

I fly the Cutter in Haz RES for the challenge. ;) It's actually way quicker and easier to bring down the enemy in any other large ship (FAS, FdL, Anaconda, Corvette). The Cutter is best in a support role in a wing.

Pembroke
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Pembroke

Postby Pembroke » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:02 pm

Yeah, I use boost turning with FA off in my dropship very often, but it drifts so much it almost feels like you have FA off even when it isn't
Looks like this dog does its own stunts.

Phillipus
Expert
Expert

Postby Phillipus » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:12 am

Pembroke wrote:Yeah, I use boost turning with FA off in my dropship very often, but it drifts so much it almost feels like you have FA off even when it isn't

You haven't experienced drift until you try the Cutter. :o

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby JohnLuke » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:50 am

Phillipus wrote:You haven't experienced drift until you try the Cutter. :o

100% truth ^^^^ !!!!!!! :shock:

The Cutter is one sliding son of a gun. I darn near splattered it into the side of a station a few times while trying to enter the slot.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Gorf
Master
Master
CMDR: Hardy

Postby Gorf » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:12 pm

I'm tempted to A rate my cutter and go rares trading in it. It's currently set up for bulk trade - all cargo and no guns/shields, but that's a bit boring.

I know I'll have way more cargo space than I need for even the 71 stop rares route, and I won't make as much cash, but it's worth doing just to relieve the monotony.

Return to “General Discussion”