Weapons for Python

Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Weapons for Python

Postby smartroad » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:17 am

Hi All :)

I am looking to really kit out my Python into a battle spec. This is what I have come up with so far Coriolis. I am resonably happy with the internals and utility mounts, my problem is the weapons. She is currently fitted out as per the spec, 3x C3 G Pulse lasers and 2x C2 G Multicannons. For the most part this has been really effective. I have them in 2 groups, "shield splitter" (all 3 lasers only) and "hull ripper" the 2 top lasers and the 2 multicannons. But this was with my weaker, more general purpose, spec.

Looking for any suggestions for changes to the weapon loadout. I had thought about changing 1 laser (lower nose one) to a C3 G Canon but would that be worth it?
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

Kiltrathi
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Kiltrathi
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Weapons for Python

Postby Kiltrathi » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:30 am

This is my old Python setup I used to fight in until I went to the Fer-de-Lance.

I also had two plasma accelerators instead of the cannons, both versions worked alright for me.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:53 am

Tried a lot of various types, but yes you can get slightly higher dps, but I always wound up going back to pulses and multicannons.

They just work in the most situations.

I did have some fun with a "cook me" build, consisting of three c3 beam lasers and two imperial hammers :S
That worked great...

Until you run out of heatsinks...

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Postby Xebeth » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:13 pm

Pulses and multis all the way, simple and effective.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall

Postby Walter » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:21 pm

smartroad wrote:She is currently fitted out as per the spec, 3x C3 G Pulse lasers and 2x C2 G Multicannons. For the most part this has been really effective. I have them in 2 groups, "shield splitter" (all 3 lasers only) and "hull ripper" the 2 top lasers and the 2 multicannons.

Exactly the setup I found worked well: pound away at the shields with lasers then shred what's left with the MCs. No overheating and few power supply problems.

That was before I abandoned use of a Python in CZ and found a Vulture to be just as effective, longer-lasting and more fun.

StaticRadion
Expert
Expert
CMDR: StaticRadion

Postby StaticRadion » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:25 pm

Well because it was brought up by someone else first I will go ahead and say that the Vulture, FDL, and FAS are all better combat ships that can be built for cheaper than the Python. Fitted the Vulture cost 15 mill, FAS is about 60 mill. and you are looking at about 90 mill for a combat FDL.

That is to say that if you want to have only one ship the Pythin is the way to go, but if you have a fleet or like the idea of having a fleet you have enough money to start one. You could keep the Python as a trader like this and build a FAS like this and still have 24 mill back in the bank because your current Python costs like 146 mill.

Anyways if you decide to keep the Python I then you could always try 2 pulse, 2 cannon or MC, and one large PA. I have always found the PA to add some fun to a RES run just remember to switch your aiming to trailing so you can keep your lasers on point more while aiming the PA.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:31 pm

My last purchase was an imperial courier (again) using a fixed beam in the mid slot and two medium multi's.

Runs about 10 mil fully a rated (don't bother with mil spec armor, it has plenty shields) and kills almost as easy as a vulture and goes faster in a straight line

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)

Postby smartroad » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:47 pm

I already have the Python and love it as a ship. Sure it isn't the best combat ship, but I just, irrationally, love it! Can't stand the look of the Vulture (sorry to those how have it!), the FDL, if I didn't already have the Python with a reasonable spec, would be one I would go for.

I'll stick with those weapons and then sort out the rest now that I have the budget!

Cheers all :D
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

Return to “General Discussion”