Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Xariann
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Xariann
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: RE: Re: Motivation and Content in Elite: Dangerous

Postby Xariann » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:24 pm

Schmobius wrote:As someone who has around 60 gigs of mods installed on various Fallout and Elder Scrolls games, I thoroughly enjoy modding the crap out of games, but that is nearly impossible to allow in a multiplayer game.

Next thing you know, you're getting killed by invincible pirates with infinite ammo INSIDE THE STATION who can magically warp to wherever another player is, and call in 8 capital ships. If you think FDev can open this game up very much to modding, and still stop that sort of thing... you haven't been paying much attention to the growing bug list and anemic patch releases, have you? :-)

Single player allows you to do whatever the hell you want, really. You can do all that craziness, and more, without ruining anyone else's day. And turn dragons into Randy Savage or Thomas the Tank Engine.

FDev is trying to add some crafting and upgrades beyond the current outfitting this year, which may get at least a little closer to what you're describing with the other simulators though. I suppose we'll have to see how that turns out.

I am aware that you cannot open up the modding as you would do on a single player game and I agree with you 100%.

My point is that if you sell something as a simulation people would love to mod it.

If you sell something as more of an action game then it needs a certain depth.

Elite unfortunately doesn't do either of these well, the reasons (such as multiplayer) are irrelevant to what I'm trying to say, which is that Elite sits in between two (or maybe even three if you also think of MMOs) genres and it doesn't seem to fully satisfy any of the audiences who have experienced those genres in another capacity.

I am not trying to say the game is crap, as I said I'm happy to invest on it, I'm a backer and a lifetime pass holder. But there are shortcomings which I think are what hinder players' motivation.
Mobius PVE Group Facebook Admin

Schmobius
Master
Master
CMDR: Schmobius
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Motivation and Content in Elite: Dangerous

Postby Schmobius » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:47 pm

I agree with what you're saying. I'm just pointing out that giving us the ability to add perfectly legitimate things to the game would probably open the door too wide in FDev's eyes.

Return to “General Discussion”