Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Steam and horizons

Postby Loriath » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:12 am

CapitanAceRimmer wrote:If you buy it through the Frontier store, more of the money goes to Frontier, which means more funds for E. D. development. :D

Problem is, with the agreement that FD has with Steam, once you buy it through steam, your account is set as a steam account, and EVERYTHING you buy from the frontier store, steam gets 30%. If you buy Horizons from FD, because you have bought from steam, they will get 30%. Buy a Paintjob from FD? Steam gets 30%.

Sorta sucks, but I do understand why FD made the deal. It gave them a larger exposure. 70% of all the additional sales they got for exposure is far better than 100% of none.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby TorTorden » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:27 pm

Think it depends, I get sent through steam when I buy a paintjob, but when I bought horizon with beta, no such thing, could just be this is handled after the fact between valve and FD.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Falcon_D
Master
Master
CMDR: Falcon Darkstar
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Falcon_D » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:54 pm

Hello,
Didn't know about the paint job thing. When I bought ED it was through steam. Then I had the problem of the game crashing to desktop, and one of the suggestions was to use the non-steam version. I found out that when I bought my copy from steam I was also registered in FD store and could download and play the FD store version directly. So now I have 2 versions installed on my computer, steam and non-steam. I now use the non-steam version exclusively. And that's the most updated version. I buy paint jobs directly from the FD store and have never been directed to my steam account.
Have fun, fly safe.

Nelina
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Nelina Dag'thul

Postby Nelina » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:54 am

Hmm i didnt knew that with the painting jobs as well.
Are you sure its 30% for steam ? Even 10% would be a bit high imho.

I got my last Painting Jobs, T-Shirt, Bobbleheads and keyring via Steam, because i always have there some cash stored.
Maybe i should really switch back to the frontier store.

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby Loriath » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:39 am

Nelina wrote:Hmm i didnt knew that with the painting jobs as well.
Are you sure its 30% for steam ? Even 10% would be a bit high imho.

I got my last Painting Jobs, T-Shirt, Bobbleheads and keyring via Steam, because i always have there some cash stored.
Maybe i should really switch back to the frontier store.

It was posted on the FD Forums by either DB or MB themselves. And it makes No Difference for you now. You bought it from Steam. So now, even if you goto the FD store, Steam gets 30%. That is why I never activated my steam Key. I want all my spending to go to FD.

The only way to ensure FD gets all the cash is if the Following are met:

1. Buy the game from FD.
2. NEVER EVER EVER use the Steam Game Key they Provided to you.

If you have done any of the following, steam is getting 30% of EVERY FD thing you buy that is available through steam:

1. If you bought the Game from Steam.
2. If you bought the game from FD but then used the Steam Key that they provided to you to activate the game on steam.

If you did either of these, then even going to the FD store and buying ANYTHING that is also available through steam means Steam Gets 30%. That was the deal they struck to get ED on the Steam Store.

See this thread for FD saying exactly this: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=148965
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~

Nelina
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Nelina Dag'thul

Postby Nelina » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:28 pm

At least ordering the Lifetime-Expansion in FD-Store, after steam-activation was a 100% for them...

On Page 57 someone says:
Steam only gets a cut of profits if and only if you actually purchased the game within Steam itself. This includes any DLC or Expansions that you buy directly in Steam.

When Steam does or does not get a cut:

If you link an outside game bought on another service (like FD): No.
If you buy a steam key from some other store and claim the key inside steam to install/play: No.
If you buy a game using steams checkout process: Yes.

It gets a little more involved on which publisher gets royalties based on initial play time and platform... but that does not apply here, as even if you bought the game ON steam, FD will get royalties if you play it on mac or pc for any length of time.

So if that guy is right, then thats not that bad, because i bought ED not in steam, and further orderings on FD-Site would be 100% to FD.

Maybe i should unlink ED from steam :)

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby Loriath » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:43 pm

Nelina wrote:At least ordering the Lifetime-Expansion in FD-Store, after steam-activation was a 100% for them...

On Page 57 someone says:
Steam only gets a cut of profits if and only if you actually purchased the game within Steam itself. This includes any DLC or Expansions that you buy directly in Steam.

When Steam does or does not get a cut:

If you link an outside game bought on another service (like FD): No.
If you buy a steam key from some other store and claim the key inside steam to install/play: No.
If you buy a game using steams checkout process: Yes.

It gets a little more involved on which publisher gets royalties based on initial play time and platform... but that does not apply here, as even if you bought the game ON steam, FD will get royalties if you play it on mac or pc for any length of time.

So if that guy is right, then thats not that bad, because i bought ED not in steam, and further orderings on FD-Site would be 100% to FD.

Maybe i should unlink ED from steam :)

Someone says: Is this an FD staffer? Nope. Try the link i give in this postand you can see what FD says about it.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~

Return to “General Discussion”