Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Silverwolf
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Silverwolf
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Steam and horizons

Postby Silverwolf » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:07 pm

Would it be wise to now uninstall my steam ED version as it seems it will not be sold from steam and I wonder if I can in the near future use horizons from the steam launcher and certainly not in Beta as stated in the newsletter.

I had been using steam as the updates happen better and faster, but if horizons is not going to be supported on steam for ages, perhaps I should just uninstall it now and install via the FD web site download.

I am an Alpha backer BTW, although that just means I do not pay for it.

If I knew on release that steam would support horizons I could just skip the beta and wait, but I guess on release it may not be available from steam ?

Any advice ?

Sidenti Taalo
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Sidenti Taalo

Re: Steam and horizons

Postby Sidenti Taalo » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:44 pm

I bought Elite via Steam because, at the time, it was the only way I could purchase the game. Then I had to nuke my computer because reasons. I figured "what the hell, I'll just download the installer from zaonce.net and see if I can get around having to have Steam take up space".

Worked like a charm. So if worse comes to worst, you should have no issues doing a reinstall without even needing Steam.

Silverwolf
Competent
Competent

Postby Silverwolf » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:52 pm

Yes, this is true I know the FD site installer will work particularly if I uninstall the steam version. It was just that in the days that I did use it a long while back the non-steam update came down very slow.

Well I hope the FD servers are a tad faster these days as I may need to download from the FD servers again. I suppose they wish not to give steam a cut of Horizons at this point, and I can understand that.

UnmarkedBoxcar
Master
Master
CMDR: UnmarkedBoxcar
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby UnmarkedBoxcar » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:59 pm

From the latest Newsletter:

"The Elite Dangerous: Horizons beta is just around the corner, and you can still get access by visiting our store.

When it goes live, you’ll need to download the latest launcher from the Frontier Store. This is found in the ‘My Downloadable Products’ section when you Login. The file will be listed as 'Elite Dangerous: Horizons - Beta'. Once you've installed the latest launcher, 'Elite Dangerous: Horizons - Beta' should be available in your games list to select and play.

Steam users will not see Horizons in your available games list, you will only be able to see Elite Dangerous: Horizons through the Frontier Store launcher.

If you have any difficulties with accessing the beta, visit our support page for help."

Silverwolf
Competent
Competent

Postby Silverwolf » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:04 pm

Yes, but did they say what will happen come release or in the months following ?

UnmarkedBoxcar
Master
Master
CMDR: UnmarkedBoxcar

Postby UnmarkedBoxcar » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:06 pm

I imagine it will be the same if not very similar.

Unless they release on Steam as well? Which doesn't really matter to me, as I've pre-ordered through the Frontier Store.

Silverwolf
Competent
Competent

Postby Silverwolf » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:33 pm

Yes that is what I am guessing as well, so I think I may just as well uninstall my steam version and install the FD launcher instead.

Mobius
Master
Master
CMDR: Mobius

Postby Mobius » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:57 pm

ive got Elite on steam but its not installed. I always use the frontier launcher as its one less click I need to do to launch it.

WolfRaven
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: WolfRaven

Postby WolfRaven » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:10 am

Ah, this is good to know, thanks.
I kinda figured Horizons wouldn't be on Steam for a while as there is no mention of it on the Steam store page.

Anyway, I've pre-ordered Horizons just now and it worked out @ € 37.49 with the loyalty discount,
which is actually pretty good value for a years worth of expansions imho.
I'm downloading the ED launcher now as well.

CapitanAceRimmer
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Capitan Ace Rimmer

Postby CapitanAceRimmer » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:37 am

If you buy it through the Frontier store, more of the money goes to Frontier, which means more funds for E. D. development. :D
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Find out what is near you:
http://elitedangerous.hozbase.co.uk/ - Pristine metallic rings, special star systems, rare commodity sources, bounty hunting systems, canyon runs, ...

Return to “General Discussion”