Considering building a Federal Assault Ship....

Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Considering building a Federal Assault Ship....

Postby JohnLuke » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:23 am

Hey guys and gals.... I'm looking for your opinion....

I'm a proud combat Python owner. Love that ship for Haz-RES and BB missions. :evil: I use an A-rated Vulture for the occasional CZ session.

I am considering building an FAS just for something different. I put together this build, as a likely configuration.

I've heard some people say that it's a Vulture on steroids. As far as the hardpoints are concerned... I would agree. :twisted: But the agility rating puts it in the same class as the Python and many others. How does it fly?

If you own (or owned) an FSA, what are the pros and cons of the ship? I know that the shields are limited, but what else do you like or dislike?

Thanks for your input!
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

evovi
Master
Master
CMDR: Auloria
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Considering building a Federal Assault Ship....

Postby evovi » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:28 am

This isn't answering your question but looking at your build it's led me to ask this...
Noob alert!
So.. Multiple SCB's and having two disabled - that mean you bring the other ones online when you depleat the first one?

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:47 am

evovi wrote:This isn't answering your question but looking at your build it's led me to ask this...
Noob alert!
So.. Multiple SCB's and having two disabled - that mean you bring the other ones online when you depleat the first one?

That's how you can have more than one cell bank on most combat ships, even my a8 planted anaconda can't keep guns and scb's online unless I either retract or switch off the Particle accelerator, (or keep PA in group 4, my "current scb in group 3, power off SCB so group 4 onlines)

You also only use one (maybe two) at a time, they are a little slow, so you want to pop one long before your shields has realy gone, like at half ways through the middle ring and no later, depends on overall shield strength and size of cell.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:07 pm

I can't even bring myself to keep one SCB active on my Vulture, which has two. I just don't want to sacrifice in other areas (I could degrade my sensors and keep one gun active). When I need to boost my shields, I just enable and SCB, which disables my guns and KWS, fire the SCB, and then disable it. The entire process takes like 10 seconds, and I usually do it when nobody's shooting at me, but I can also do it when boosting away so I don't need the guns then anyway. But nobody shoots at me unless I shoot first, so it's not been a problem. This also allows me to use the highest rated SCBs.

Maybe they fire first in HasRES or CNB? That might change my mind. I was also assuming that better sensors meant better gimbaled gun tracking, although I can't say that I've really noticed a difference.

Sorry, JohnLuke, no comment on the FAS.
It's time to give this another go.

MrSandman
Competent
Competent
CMDR: MrSandman

Postby MrSandman » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:32 pm

FAS
Pro's very manoeuvrable ignore that it says its the same number as the Python that's wrong plain and simple. Can get behind and keep behind anything.
Great Hull armour I've stuck around in Haz Res with 10-20% hull and not felt overly worried this thing takes a beating
Shields although weak Regenerate very quickly even with SB's on
Good Fire power better than vulture not as good as Python the top and bottom weapons took me a little while to get used to
Nice and quick good boost for that time when your hull gets to 1%
I find it way more fun than the Python for combat but the Vulture still makes me smile more.
Better Power than the Vulture though some fiddling may be needed depending on your layout

Cons
Weak shields
cockpit view not the best imo

Not sure if this saved correctly but this is my set up for it clicky

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:43 pm

That's pretty much how I have been doing it @Roger Wilco Jr since my vulture, with the exception of the python that simply just has power to spare.

I have no problem doing it in combat, you can preselect the module beforehand, and then it's just a quick flick and activate in the menu, you can do this so quickly the screens popup animation doesn't even finish :)

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin

Postby Flip » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:37 pm

If you keep two SCB enabled, both will be triggered at the same time. Depending on their class, it means you could be wasting one.

As for the original question, the maneuverability of the FAS is waaayyy better than that of the Python. The FAS is nearly as agile as the Vulture.

I couldn’t stand the Python because of its lack of agility, but I’m flying this class A FAS, these days, and I love her.
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

Digga
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Digga

Postby Digga » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:39 pm

Regarding your build, I switched from a 4A to a 3A interdictor on a python and didn't notice much of a difference.

You may want to consider swapping the 4A interdictor and the 3A SCB

steo
Novice
Novice
CMDR: steo

Postby steo » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:05 pm

This is the build i would use personally for a CZ http://coriolis.io/outfit/federal_assau ... =?bn=F.A.S. and that ship has been what ive been flyign in a few of my live streams cannot fault the ship really at all :)

Trinity Star
Master
Master
CMDR: Trinity Star
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Trinity Star » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:52 pm

I have the same as Flip but with Military Grade hull. Good for ramming things and good in pairs :)

Return to “General Discussion”