Does the Shield cell bank & Auto field-maintainence unit helps?

Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
alphaalif
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Does the Shield cell bank & Auto field-maintainence unit helps?

Postby alphaalif » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:45 am

On my ASP, wondering if slotting the SCB and AFMU helps during battle? Most likely it will but is it tideous or should i master multitasking to use them?

ASP Explorer comms

de Carabas
Master
Master
CMDR: de Carabas
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Does the Shield cell bank & Auto field-maintainence unit helps?

Postby de Carabas » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:55 am

The SCBs can be useful in longer battles but timing can be tricky. They take a long time to activate so if you fire one up when you need it the chances are pretty good that your shield is gone and it no longer works! This encourages over use by activating them early and then of course yoiu might not need one.

For the AFMU, if you have space in the hold then its a good backup in case a module goes wobbly but I can't see anyone trying to use it while in battle as you would be a sitting duck (module goes offline to repair if I remember correctly). As there is now the 'reboot' option for emergency fixes you would normally be OK with that to then get back to a station.
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

alphaalif
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Re: RE: Re: Does the Shield cell bank & Auto field-maintainence unit helps?

Postby alphaalif » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:26 am

de Carabas wrote:The SCBs can be useful in longer battles but timing can be tricky. They take a long time to activate so if you fire one up when you need it the chances are pretty good that your shield is gone and it no longer works! This encourages over use by activating them early and then of course yoiu might not need one.

For the AFMU, if you have space in the hold then its a good backup in case a module goes wobbly but I can't see anyone trying to use it while in battle as you would be a sitting duck (module goes offline to repair if I remember correctly). As there is now the 'reboot' option for emergency fixes you would normally be OK with that to then get back to a station.

Thanks!! My loadout, 3 out of 4 utility mount ive slotted shield boosters. And one chaff launcher. Internals, still no idea on my ASP. Just D2 Hull reinforcement package(HRP) and B3 shield generator. Im doing powerplay for now. But from time to time i do trading.

ASP Explorer comms

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:30 am

I mostly use scb's either to keep my shields up during "ohshitohshitohshitGTFO" incidents or for use in between engagements if i have taken a bit of damage.

Manual power management is also needed with most my builds, before engaging something I might need scb's for I open systems modules and preselect the cell booster.
And I often set it up priority so powering an scb turns off my lasers.
When I then need it I just flick open the systems tab and can turn on the scb and be out of the systems menu in less than a second, I have tried to retract guns for a cell bank to power on. But the system tab switch is quicker and i have all of this bound to my stick so it is easily accessed.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

alphaalif
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby alphaalif » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:05 am

TorTorden wrote:I mostly use scb's either to keep my shields up during "ohshitohshitohshitGTFO" incidents or for use in between engagements if i have taken a bit of damage.

Manual power management is also needed with most my builds, before engaging something I might need scb's for I open systems modules and preselect the cell booster.
And I often set it up priority so powering an scb turns off my lasers.
When I then need it I just flick open the systems tab and can turn on the scb and be out of the systems menu in less than a second, I have tried to retract guns for a cell bank to power on. But the system tab switch is quicker and i have all of this bound to my stick so it is easily accessed.

Well mine is on an XBox controller. So i chucked every possible most used controls on my controller. Trial and error. Thanks for the advise. I'll try to use SCB on other modules. May i know how you place your module in order? Cause i cant make up what to prioritize. I mean weapon are obviously number 1 but the others?

ASP Explorer comms

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Xebeth » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:39 am

alphaalif wrote:May i know how you place your module in order? Cause i cant make up what to prioritize. I mean weapon are obviously number 1 but the others?

ASP Explorer comms

Go to your systems panel (the one on the right), go to modules, you'll see a column called Priority. You can then change the power priority of the modules here. When you over reach your available power the ship will start to shut down system, starting with the lowest priorities until you have enough power to do what ever it is you are trying to do.

The most typical application is shutting stuff down to allow you to deploy weapons, most people will shut down their cargo hatch (this just means you can't scoop) and the FSD (you can't jump if your weapons are deployed anyway).

You'll see a bar along the bottom of this tab, it'll show if you are going to use too much power, as you set priorities the bar will change to show how the priorities affect your power usage.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

alphaalif
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Does the Shield cell bank & Auto field-maintainence unit helps?

Postby alphaalif » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:57 am

Xebeth wrote:[quote="alphaalif"]May i know how you place your module in order? Cause i cant make up what to prioritize. I mean weapon are obviously number 1 but the others?

ASP Explorer comms

Go to your systems panel (the one on the right), go to modules, you'll see a column called Priority. You can then change the power priority of the modules here. When you over reach your available power the ship will start to shut down system, starting with the lowest priorities until you have enough power to do what ever it is you are trying to do.

The most typical application is shutting stuff down to allow you to deploy weapons, most people will shut down their cargo hatch (this just means you can't scoop) and the FSD (you can't jump if your weapons are deployed anyway).

You'll see a bar along the bottom of this tab, it'll show if you are going to use too much power, as you set priorities the bar will change to show how the priorities affect your power usage.[/quote]
Yeah!! Thanks!!

ASP Explorer comms

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:57 am

Well, my python isn't nearly as power hungry as she was when I was running 3 large beams on her.
So I can actually have a cell bank powered at any time.

But no, guns are not priority one for me, they are priority 3.
Vulture is probably better, since it really has power issues.
http://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/04A5A ... bn=Thumper

I start with the lowest possible priority of 5 for anything used during cruise and cargo hatch (since no racks, you could just turn that off)
Shields, thrusters and power distrubitor is one.
The rest is pretty much goofing around and my weird brain at work (most would say it doesn't work and that's not entirely wrong)

In essence I ask myself what do I need when? and when can I sacrifice what ?
The way I play it's mostly pve, so unless I bite over more than I should have or can't be bothered to wait for shield regen is the only reason to pop cells.
In essence an abandon all plans and GTFO mode, or "I'l just pop a cell before engaing that python with 2 eagle wingmates" situations.
Neither of these are situations that I need guns for.
Even if I need to pop a cell during combat, you should probably not fire lasers anyways since cell banks generate a lot of heat, about an additional 20%-30% over what you are running regularly.

And the bottom line, if I had to go to keyboard everytime to change a setting in the modules tab, I would not be doing this but something else, I just happen to have the luxury of a HOTAS with a veritable plethora of 4 way hat switches :)

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

alphaalif
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby alphaalif » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:13 pm

TorTorden wrote:Well, my python isn't nearly as power hungry as she was when I was running 3 large beams on her.
So I can actually have a cell bank powered at any time.

But no, guns are not priority one for me, they are priority 3.
Vulture is probably better, since it really has power issues.
http://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/04A5A ... bn=Thumper

I start with the lowest possible priority of 5 for anything used during cruise and cargo hatch (since no racks, you could just turn that off)
Shields, thrusters and power distrubitor is one.
The rest is pretty much goofing around and my weird brain at work (most would say it doesn't work and that's not entirely wrong)

In essence I ask myself what do I need when? and when can I sacrifice what ?
The way I play it's mostly pve, so unless I bite over more than I should have or can't be bothered to wait for shield regen is the only reason to pop cells.
In essence an abandon all plans and GTFO mode, or "I'l just pop a cell before engaing that python with 2 eagle wingmates" situations.
Neither of these are situations that I need guns for.
Even if I need to pop a cell during combat, you should probably not fire lasers anyways since cell banks generate a lot of heat, about an additional 20%-30% over what you are running regularly.

And the bottom line, if I had to go to keyboard everytime to change a setting in the modules tab, I would not be doing this but something else, I just happen to have the luxury of a HOTAS with a veritable plethora of 4 way hat switches :)

So if i was doing mainly trading, i could just set my weapons to priority 3 cause i dont need any of them? 1 if i wanna go shoot anything that move, am i right?

ASP Explorer comms

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:31 pm

It depends.
It's all a tool set to control when modules turn off, and the trick is getting it to turn off what you dont need, but not when you need it :)
I will also only turn off the highest numerated module group when it exceeds available power, if that's not enough it goes on to the second highest grouping etc.
In the vulture buils I linked I have my guns set to 3, because I will exceed available power when I turn on the cell banks.
But I only need those when I'm in trouble, and I would rather loose guns for a few seconds than thrusters etc.

For my traders I dont even have shield cells cause that takes away cargo.
So for trading you would probably never need to do more with power managent than turn off the fsd etc, depends on fit of course.
I also hear that if you turn off the cargo hatch it may malfunction and drop a few ton, but that has never happened to me.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Return to “General Discussion”