Aim enemies powerplant to kill them quicker

Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
alphaalif
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Aim enemies powerplant to kill them quicker

Postby alphaalif » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:39 am

With my ASP, usually i would shoot them blindly but aiming the powerplant under the sub-targets does help. Any orher ideas to move quicker during dogfights? Enemies tend to be behind me quicker than i could.

ASP Explorer comms

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Aim enemies powerplant to kill them quicker

Postby Loriath » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:43 am

Use your Thrusters. Even if you never use Flight Assist Off, using your thrusters can help you turn faster, keep your guns on a target more as you strafe or circle.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

alphaalif
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Re: RE: Re: Aim enemies powerplant to kill them quicker

Postby alphaalif » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:52 am

Loriath wrote:Use your Thrusters. Even if you never use Flight Assist Off, using your thrusters can help you turn faster, keep your guns on a target more as you strafe or circle.

Im trying to master flight assist but of course it keeps turning and turning. Hahaha. Sorry, super noob. Thrusters turn faster but halfway through its harder to turn. Harder on enemies with smaller to medium size ships with good maneuverability.

ASP Explorer comms

alphaalif
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Aim enemies powerplant to kill them quicker

Postby alphaalif » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:27 am

alphaalif wrote:[quote="Loriath"]Use your Thrusters. Even if you never use Flight Assist Off, using your thrusters can help you turn faster, keep your guns on a target more as you strafe or circle.

Im trying to master flight assist but of course it keeps turning and turning. Hahaha. Sorry, super noob. Thrusters turn faster but halfway through its harder to turn. Harder on enemies with smaller to medium size ships with good maneuverability.

ASP Explorer comms[/quote]
Ok done. Master the flight assist thingy. I only use thrusters to run away when im dying.

ASP Explorer comms

TomoRosso

Postby TomoRosso » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:19 am

I think Loriath was referring to lateral thrusters (up/down left/right) rather than boost thrusters.

Mastering the use of lateral thrusters and FA On/Off is what will give you an edge in combat, especially when flying a highly maneuverable ship like a Viper or Vulture.

Don't bother popping the power planet on Cobras or smaller, you will reduce the hull to 0% before the power plant goes. Strangely this also applies to the Clipper.

And also don't get too used to it as 1.4 will bring changes to some ships and their reaction to having their power plants hit.

Gothyl
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Gothyl

Postby Gothyl » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:53 am

yeah i have been playing for FAOFF it really used to turn faster towards a target its for those hard turns you will be using it more often. Normal flying you want it on. With the vulture I havent had to do faoff yet very good ship for dogfights.
CMDR GOTHYL
Twitch | http://Twitch.tv/dmportella
Schedule: Tue to Sat from GMT 8 PM to 12 PM and Sun from 10 AM to 10 PM
Twitter | http://twitter.com/dmportella

StaticRadion
Expert
Expert
CMDR: StaticRadion

Postby StaticRadion » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:03 pm

I have said this on many a post but turning or yaw is the most inefficient movement in Elite. There is not a ship in elite with a faster yaw speed than pitch or roll and as such you should make your best efforts to roll then pitch to your target. If you are slightly off target then yaw but otherwise roll and pitch again.

F/A off is an amazing tool but best used at optimal turn speed or when, before, or after boosting. The two main maneuvers everyone should learn are the F/A off turn and Boost Flip.

StaticRadion
Expert
Expert
CMDR: StaticRadion

Postby StaticRadion » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:11 pm

TomoRosso wrote:Strangely this also applies to the Clipper.

Since when? The problem most people have with the Clipper is just knowing where the powerplant is. It is located in the neck of the ship right behind the cockpit so attempting to pop the powerplant from behind the ship, or through a lot of other internals and armor, results in a 0% hull before the powerplant blows.

To take out a Clipper simply drain the shields then reposition above, below, or most effective to the side to have a clear shot at the powerplant.

TomoRosso

Postby TomoRosso » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:47 pm

StaticRadion wrote:
TomoRosso wrote:Strangely this also applies to the Clipper.

Since when? .

Every clapper I have destroyed was due to hull integrity 15-20% before the power plant failed from either its 6 high/low, perhaps it's just my experience but I don't bother targeting the pp on them any longer.

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath

Postby Loriath » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:44 pm

StaticRadion wrote:I have said this on many a post but turning or yaw is the most inefficient movement in Elite. There is not a ship in elite with a faster yaw speed than pitch or roll and as such you should make your best efforts to roll then pitch to your target. If you are slightly off target then yaw but otherwise roll and pitch again.

F/A off is an amazing tool but best used at optimal turn speed or when, before, or after boosting. The two main maneuvers everyone should learn are the F/A off turn and Boost Flip.

While I will agree with the FAO Turn and Boost Flip, I will take issue with your Yaw statement is not 100% accurate. The Eagle is the exception. It has equal speed in all three axis. The vulture is close, but not quite. Every other ship forget it. Oh and if the T6 was a fighter, it would out yaw a Python and FDL and Cobra.

So you can't talk in Absolutes. Depends on the ship, the ability of the pilot, and the testicular fortitude of the fight :)
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

Return to “General Discussion”