Are PP expansion zones considered okay for pvp?

Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Slvrsurfer
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Mike Miller
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Are PP expansion zones considered okay for pvp?

Postby Slvrsurfer » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:21 pm

Hello,

This might be a stupid question, but for those who have been on Mobius a while are the PP expansion zones having the same rules of engagement as any other conflict zone? I am asking because currently I am sided with Archon, and so when I go into his 'resistence pockets' I am auto assigned a faction. With that being said, the other day I went into a pocket and there was a player anaconda on the enemy side. I left, and went to another zone because I wasn't sure about the rules on this, and didn't want to risk getting thrown out of Mobius. Can anyone tell me if these zones are considered fair game as Mobius is supposed to be pve based? I am not in Mobius cause I am looking for pvp, I don't mind it, but I don't want to do anything wrong and injure someone's gaming experience here for lack of understanding how this works. Thanks to anyone in advance that can clear this up for me.

Mobius
Master
Master
CMDR: Mobius

Re: Are PP expansion zones considered okay for pvp?

Postby Mobius » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:25 pm

To be honest I haven't bothered with powerplay, and as such I have not come across PP expansion zones,
for the time being lets keep it to just conflict zones and I will consult with the others on this.

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby JohnLuke » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:52 pm

I assume that you are talking about a crime sweep area, right? If I dropped into one and there was a Mobius commander on the opposing "team" I would probably leave so that I wouldn't accidentally shoot at him. Things happen very fast in crime sweeps, as you know.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Slvrsurfer
Harmless
Harmless

Postby Slvrsurfer » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:25 am

Mobius wrote:To be honest I haven't bothered with powerplay, and as such I have not come across PP expansion zones,
for the time being lets keep it to just conflict zones and I will consult with the others on this.

Thanks for responding. So I'll avoid players on opposing teams for now then. Like I said though, the PP mechanics automatically assign you to whomever your faction is aligned with, so you don't always have a choice if someone that is empire jumps in for example, they would be auto flagged as enemy to me. Kinda complicated. But I will do the honorable thing by the mobius group and just try to find PP zones with no other cmdr in them to avoid any problems. I'm not looking for trouble here. Have a nice day.

Slvrsurfer
Harmless
Harmless

Postby Slvrsurfer » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:30 am

JohnLuke wrote:I assume that you are talking about a crime sweep area, right? If I dropped into one and there was a Mobius commander on the opposing "team" I would probably leave so that I wouldn't accidentally shoot at him. Things happen very fast in crime sweeps, as you know.

Yeah, they are crime sweeps for empire, for kumo they are called resistence pockets, as archon goes with independent faction over any major faction like fed, alliance, empire. And I did exactly what you mentioned, I left when I saw the anaconda because I didn't want to cause any problems. Just makes things difficult though, simply because the PP does not allow you to ignore that cmdr. Maby I will just switch back to open play for doing that PP stuff so I don't run into any problems. Would probably be the safer option I guess. Well, not safer, but you know what I mean......

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:15 am

Slvrsurfer wrote:Yeah, they are crime sweeps for empire, for kumo they are called resistence pockets, as archon goes with independent faction over any major faction like fed, alliance, empire. And I did exactly what you mentioned, I left when I saw the anaconda because I didn't want to cause any problems. Just makes things difficult though, simply because the PP does not allow you to ignore that cmdr. Maby I will just switch back to open play for doing that PP stuff so I don't run into any problems. Would probably be the safer option I guess. Well, not safer, but you know what I mean......

Ah, thanks for the info! I didn't know that they weren't called crime sweeps by all of the powers. I learned something new today. ;)

If there is only one resistance pocket in the system you are working in and there is another Mobius player from the other power in there, switching to either open or solo probably would be best.
Last edited by Flip on Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed the broken quote
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

OgreWookie
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: OGREWOOKIE

Postby OgreWookie » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:10 am

For Zach Hudson they're called Military Strikes, basically it's each powers way of justifying mass slaughter. These zones are exactly the same as a standard conflict zone with the exception of you don't get to choose a side if your own power is involved in the conflict.
I don't believe that anyone not involved in powerplay can even see these zones so if there is a commander fighting on the other side when you enter then he is a member of an opposing power and has made the decision to travel to one of your expansion systems in order to oppose your powers expansion and earn pp merits doing so.
Mobius rules state that PvP is allowed in a combat zone where both commanders have joined opposite sides. In the case of a pp zone only your opponent will have actually chosen to fight for the opposition, you will have been automatically assigned as his enemy (although, technically, by entering one of your powers combat zones you have chosen to fight for your power there).
My personal opinion: It might be an idea to treat this as a standard combat zone and allow PvP, this could then be pointed at when people moan about powerplay being affected by private group play. e.g. "In Mobius we fight like everybody else in expansion zones". If a commander finds an opponent in one of these zones there is always the option of heading for one of the other zones in the system if you don't feel like breaking his ship (best case scenario stated, please note; own ship can also be broken)

Golem
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Cmdr GolemXIV

Postby Golem » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:44 pm

In my mind those PP Zones should fall into the same rule as the normal conflict zones.

Phillipus
Expert
Expert

Postby Phillipus » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:47 pm

If this is allowed will the Slimy Dogturd Crew exploit it somehow?

Golem
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Cmdr GolemXIV

Postby Golem » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:08 pm

They also could do that now in the cz ...

Return to “General Discussion”