The Fer-De-Lance loadout thread: Sluggish or nimble?

Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
uvelius
Master
Master
CMDR: Uvelius Sång
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

The Fer-De-Lance loadout thread: Sluggish or nimble?

Postby uvelius » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:41 am

Having read this thread about FdL pirate builds I actually started toying with the thought to try the FdL at last. Some seem to see her not as worthless as many, though I mostly hear of people changing back to Python ...
What are your experiences with FdL builds, and how are they working compared to the Python (or other craft)?
Thanks for sharing!

EDIT: A current (2.2.03) Fer-De-Lance build. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7262&sid=479cb4e465ac055cf4c6ae252bf9e891#p81648
Last edited by uvelius on Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grifs
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Grifs Astoni

Re: The Fer-De-Lance loadout thread: Sluggish or nimble?

Postby Grifs » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:09 am

Considering that I'm usually playing in PvE, I prefer the Python over the FDL due to the latter's lack of multi-role capabilities. As for builds, I mainly just strapped in C2G pulses and a C4G cannon with some shield boosters and a chaff. I had problems with power management though, but it's mostly just because I tried to maximize the shields as much as possible.

Engine sounds on FDL are awesome too. Maybe if Frontier can make PvE become a bit more diverse and dynamic, I'd pick the FDL. Planning to get one again when I get some spare cash, but I'm currently not into combat.

stummies
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Stummies

Postby stummies » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:44 pm

I have both an FDL and Python, both get about the same amount of use. The biggest difference I have between the two is the FDL required a lot more attention to learning to fly it than the Python. My FDL is fitted with 4 class 2 gimbal pulse and 1 class 4 gimbal cannon. The cannon is tricky to use because of its location, adding to the learning curve. There is a bar that is off center in the canopy window which can drive OCD people nuts... I don't mind it much.

Python on the other hand is just so damn slow. I have 3 class 3 gimbal pulse and 2 class 2 gimbal cannon. It's slower speed is more forgiving with sloppy piloting and has a lot more headroom for additional components. It is a much easier ship to pilot in general. The engine sounds for this ship aren't as nice either (subjective)... usually turn my sound down as it sometimes gives me a headache.

Overall, both ships do fine blowing up NPCs. I prefer the FDL for its speed but when I get tired of flying it I pull out the Python. I also have the DBS and Vulture for when I want maneuvering too. I like to compare the two ships to manual and automatic... FDL is like manual, and sometimes when in traffic for 45 minutes you start cursing because you're sick of shifting wishing you had an automatic (Python) to take some of that pain away. :)

Casey Casem
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Casey Casem

Postby Casey Casem » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:06 pm

I just did a re-bought an FdL while keeping my A-spec Python. As mentioned earlier it demands more finesse to eek out its maximum potential.

With TrackIR the FdL shines since you can keep your target in view most of the time. The Python has very poor visibility in comparison.

I use 2 gimbal lasers, 2 gimbal multicannons and a huge gimbal cannon. I set full power to weapons and only use lasers to take down shields. Most shields go down before my weapon energy depletes and overheat. After that, full pips to engines and rely on all projectile weapons. It is extremely agile at this point and flies like a fighter (boost, FA Off, power slide, etc).

The Python in the other hand is the multipurpose tank with less systems management during combat. I suggest keeping the Python

StaticRadion
Expert
Expert
CMDR: StaticRadion

Postby StaticRadion » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:32 pm

I shake my head in dissapointment at the FDL all the time. What do you want to kill and how fast? Want to kill an elite npc get a Viper or better. Want to farm a RES get a Anaconda, Python, or Clipper because they have SCB and can last longer. Want to be a pirate in open? A solo FDL won't take down a seasoned trader in an Anaconda or Python, cant mass lock either, and usually does not have the jump range to chase. Want to bounty hunt in open? The combat Clipper, Python, and Anacondas out there will probably kill you or force you to withdraw. Do you want to team up with 3-4 other people in the same ship as you to bully other loan commanders? If so then the FDL is the right ship for you well unless you like the Clipper.

Octopoid
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Octopoid

Postby Octopoid » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:34 pm

EDIT : " I shake my head in disappointment at the FDL all the time " - Quoted for truth!!

I have two problems with the FDL, the "huge hardpoint" and the power plant size. It's simply too small, I find the FDL and Vulture too much of a compromise. I end up with empty utility mounts, and that's a waste. My Python is fully loaded and has power to spare.

I've never even considered re-buying an FDL. It looks nice and sounds nice, but I just didn't "want" to keep it.

I don't like the weapons choices for the huge hardpoint , the only gimballed one is the cannon, but because the ammo flies so slowly I find that unless I am point blank on something Asp size or above it's more than likely the target will simply turn a bit and I'll miss.

Great, I can fly rings around Anacondas - unless they've got turrets of course, which means they shoot me wherever I am anyway and renders the agility a bit pointless! If I want to go toe to toe with a big target then I want big shields. The Python has bigger shields than the FDL. Win.

Maybe it just doesn't suit my flying style, which is 100% FA ON ! I'm no Chuck Yeager ;) I guess I just prefer to tank it out a bit more.

Because I don't rate the cannon I always fit a large class three laser. Again , then, I might as well have the Python anyway, that has three large hardpoints and I'm back to the issue of more power than I can use, even with a full complement of A class shield boosters and cell banks, powering a bigger shield generator. I don't need it to handle like a Vulture... you can buy a Vulture for that ;) .... and I can take on pretty much anything the NPCs want to throw at me. It's still agile enough to get the smaller stuff too.

So instead of an FDL I'd have the Python every time, as long as it was A spec'd of course.. ;) As a stepping stone then the FDL is part of the path to take to Eliteness... everyone should probably try one, but not if you want to do ANY trading, it doesn't have the space.

And it does come down to credits - only when you can afford to fully A spec both can you make a "final" decision. Until then you are using versions of the ship that aren't demonstrating their full potential. The A spec power plant on a Python costs as much as the FDL !! 51 million from memory... but with it the Python is my ship of choice. Without it maybe not so much. I'd get a Clipper instead of an FDL... half the price! ;)

Casey Casem
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Casey Casem

Postby Casey Casem » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:32 pm

All your criticisms of th FdL are valid. Why else would I A-spec my Clipper and Python before considering the FdL? However, I actually enjoy the challenge and micromanaging so much during combat makes the game more fun in my opinion.

The Python (and Vulture) is the easy mode. FdL for less boring combat. Clipper for PP and piracy. I also own every small ship in the game except trade ships.

Octopoid
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Octopoid

Postby Octopoid » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:57 pm

Totally agree : I'm more casual in my approach, I do power manage when fighting but only to a certain extent - like I said, it just doesn't suit my style of flying to be in a FDL.

I've currently got two Anacondas, one full A spec pew pew machine and one just for trading (although it still has shields, boosters and a cell bank to go with the 8 turrets... I don;t believe in running away from interdictions by NPC's ;) ) a Clipper and a Python.

I've tried all the ships, including the trading ones. I think I've had 7 Asp's..... Anaconda and Python are definitely easier to "fly safe" in, but I consider that relaxation the reward for many many hours of seat of the pants flying in other stuff :) I no longer have to worry about re-buy etc. so I can afford to mess about and get blown up.

But if you aren't at that point and your FDL is your one and only ship to make your way through the galaxy with and earn you your credits, I consider there to be better alternatives for less money, or for more money. Either way I wouldn't have an FDL as my only ship. It's a rich boys toy ;)

stummies
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Stummies

Postby stummies » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:08 pm

My personal use case is the FDL stays in 1 system and doesn't jump due to it's range. I have moved it but I hate to. I also would disagree with those that think the FDL cannot hold it's own solo because it can, but that depends a lot on who is flying and how good they are. The FDL is not forgiving of mistakes, it's a fast ship that is easy to overshoot things and with only 1 huge hard point sloppy fighting can dramatically effect your damage output. My FDL shields are over 800MJ, utility slots filled with Class A SBs and 1 D KWS. I also have 2 Class 4 A SCBs that give a decent boost when needed. Also, the fixed huge hard points are not that hard to use. The gimbal cannon does make things easier but I've used the class 4 PA on this ship and it worked very well.

All of that said, this is the only ship I've flow so far in this game that demands a certain level of discipline to fly. You're going to either enjoy the challenge of making this ship dance beautifully or despise the attention it demands. I don't fly this ship for efficiency, I fly it for the challenge and the reward of flying it well.

I also would possibly disagree that this is a rich mans toy. Sometimes removing all other alternatives forces you to learn something new, at one point all I owned was the FDL... and it pushed me to learn how to fly it. I still love/hate this ship, but every time I sold it I ended up missing the ship.

Sendraks
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Sendraks

Postby Sendraks » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:07 am

*nods in agreement with Stummies post*

Having recently become a member of the FDL owners club, all of the above scans with my experience. This is a fun ship, a involved ship to fly. Sure a vulture can do most of what the FDL can for a fraction of the price, but it isn't nearly as much of an "experience" to fly and its fitting options are decidedly limited. There's enough room on the FDL for kws, shield boosters and dual chaff. Always worth sacrificing a booster slot for is dual chaff, as it'll save you more shield in the long run than you'll gain with an extra booster.

With an A rated fit, I'm not finding anything sluggish about the FDL in comparison to other ships I've flown. Proper use of thrusters, FA off and patience when it comes to using the huge hardpoint, all pay off in a very rewarding way. It is a confidence inspiring ship to fly as well. I hang around and keep fighting in situations where I'd have to have cheese it in my Vulture.

And when you do get a solid hit with a C4 cannon and see a value drop from 100% to 0% in one go, well....this doesn't stop being funny.

I've no experience with the Python yet, although that ship is next on my purchase list in about 10wks time or so.

Return to “General Discussion”