The Fer-De-Lance loadout thread: Sluggish or nimble?

Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
UnmarkedBoxcar
Master
Master
CMDR: UnmarkedBoxcar
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: The Fer-De-Lance loadout thread: Sluggish or nimble?

Postby UnmarkedBoxcar » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:53 pm

In my experience, the FdL fills the same sort of niche as the Vulture, just in a slightly different way. What I mean by that is, flying one requires certain sacrifices. If you want to specialize, the FdL has -much- better shields than the Python (855Mj to the Python's 725) And that's not even the highest a FdL shields can get. You could get them even sturdier if you sacrificed even more (the build I'm thinking of still has two empty utility slots.

► Show Spoiler

I think that perhaps the major issue that most commanders have with the FdL is what you have to give up in order to get what you want. Want great shields? Alright, sacrifice maneuverability and weapons. Want great maneuverability? Alright, your shields will be weaker. Etc...etc...

But the main sticking point, for me, is that it's a ship that is almost the same size as a Python, yet its power plant is two classes smaller. (The Python fits a class 7, the FdL a class 5.)

For my play style, and to echo the words of previous posts, this is a big deal. There just isn't enough power on a FdL for me to do what I'd like to do, which is precisely the reason I fly an all-purpose ship, instead of this nifty little sports car :D

That...and Red might get jealous... you know how it is.

Skipp
Master
Master
CMDR: Skipp Doe
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Skipp » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:29 pm

You also need to take into consideration that a VERY good FDL fit costs roughly around 80mil, while a DECENT Python fit goes above 100mil. The FDL is much cheaper to outfit.

I myself will be getting one as soon as I scoop up another 60-70mil :)
ImageImage

UnmarkedBoxcar
Master
Master

Postby UnmarkedBoxcar » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:37 pm

Skipp wrote:You also need to take into consideration that a VERY good FDL fit costs roughly around 80mil, while a DECENT Python fit goes above 100mil. The FDL is much cheaper to outfit.

Very true. :)

Octopoid
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Octopoid

Postby Octopoid » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:13 pm

It's cheaper for the same reason a Kia is cheaper than a Bentley ;)

Skipp
Master
Master
CMDR: Skipp Doe

Postby Skipp » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:55 pm

Octopoid wrote:It's cheaper for the same reason a Kia is cheaper than a Bentley ;)

Kias come in red with sexy looking engines? :D
ImageImage

Grifs
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Grifs Astoni

Postby Grifs » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:00 am

Really couldn't stop ignoring the FDL. Thinking of using this kind of build for PvE, although I'm not sure I know what I'm doing atm.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/fer_de_lance/ ... et%20build

Thinking that 3 chaff launchers might be a little overkill, but putting something else (like boosters) would take up more than what the power cap can manage.

Edit: Might try Boxcar's build. I got no proper experience managing power on the fly though. :lol:

UnmarkedBoxcar
Master
Master

Postby UnmarkedBoxcar » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:35 am

The major downside of my build posted up there is that in order to fire your Shield Cell Banks, you need to either be REALLY creative with power on the fly (sometimes I'll disable a few things in modules) or you just need to retract hardpoints... which takes time.

UnmarkedBoxcar
Master
Master

Postby UnmarkedBoxcar » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:37 am

Though, if you're alright with retracting to fire SCB, everything else runs fine. Just the standard making sure things like FSD, Cargo hatch, and Fuel Scoop are on a lower priority than everything else.

SquareBunny
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: SquareBunny

Postby SquareBunny » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:13 pm

stummies wrote:My FDL shields are over 800MJ, utility slots filled with Class A SBs and 1 D KWS. I also have 2 Class 4 A SCBs that give a decent boost when needed. Also, the fixed huge hard points are not that hard to use. The gimbal cannon does make things easier but I've used the class 4 PA on this ship and it worked very well.

Can you please share your loadout on coriolis.io? My shields are 748 and I can't get more than that. How did you do it? Especially with 4 PA.

Here is mine : http://coriolis.io/outfit/fer_de_lance/ ... ris%20Farm

UPDATE: Just notice previous post. Yeah.. If set SCB to lower priority it can work.

MrGuarnere
Novice
Novice
CMDR: MrGuarnere

Postby MrGuarnere » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:31 pm

uvelius wrote:Having read this thread about FdL pirate builds I actually started toying with the thought to try the FdL at last. Some seem to see her not as worthless as many, though I mostly hear of people changing back to Python ...
What are your experiences with FdL builds, and how are they working compared to the Python (or other craft)?
Thanks for sharing!

Did you end up making an FDL? What build did you go for?

Im planning on making a combat FDL and would be interested in comparing more builds.

Return to “General Discussion”