Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

(Fer-de-lance) Ok, traded it for a python

Postby TorTorden » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:02 pm

So got a Ferdie yesterday, and it's just not clicking with me.
Other than go faster it does nothing I couldn't do with a vulture at 1\5 the price.
In fact it's slower at killing larger ships than my vulture.

So, that would mean people who like the Ferdie are either crazy, Or I am doing something wrong with it..

This is my setup so far.
http://coriolis.io/outfit/fer_de_lance/05A5A4A4D6A4B3C2c1b1b1b1b040k0000--4a5d335368.Iw18AxlVA===.CwBhGYzAmK-0wg==
As coriolis should note, cell banks are off until needed, when I do turn one on manually the PA should disable (tier 3)
I have tried various guns, from beams, to Multicannons\cannons.
At the end of the day, pulse lasers are what works, the low hanging hardpoint don't really help with dps either, since you can only fire it in the half second before you crash with the target, or when you dont see it, which usually works best :\

Hints, pointers from Ferdie pilots wanted.
Last edited by TorTorden on Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: (Fer-de-lance) What am I doing wrong?

Postby Xebeth » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:02 pm

I've only had mine for a few days, so my experience is somewhat limited, but so far I've found that like you pulses are best, I've gone with the cannon rather than the PA however as it comes in a gimballed version which does help somewhat.

I've found that the huge weapon is only really of any use against big slower targets like pythons and dropships, and work best when you are up close, anything else I just use the lasers.

Where I have found the FDL useful is when I fitted an FSD Intedictor, the FDL's speed and mass locking ability means that once you pull a target out of SC anything smaller than an anaconda can't get away from you.

Going to try a large pulse in place of the cannon next to see if that improves things.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:50 pm

Yea, the Particle accelerator is a late addittion, I figured I could at least try it, so far I like it just barely better than the cannon, I have also tried the c3 gimbaled beam laser in that slot, and although that gets a lot more range than the cannon or the PA, the Adage of "if you can see it, you can't shoot it" holds true..

Contemplating at this point to just sell it, and get a Python in the role of a tanky hard hitting cargo truck.
I don't want to loose another 500 ton of imperial slaves if I can help it.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Postby Xebeth » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:16 pm

In the end settled on

http://coriolis.io/outfit/fer_de_lance/05A5A4A4D6A4C3C1e1b1b1b1b0404040g000l4a5d6n0124.AwRj4yrI.AwiMIyrVaA==?bn=FDL%20Bounty%20Hunter

This seem to work quite well, you just need to keep your nose up, but seems to shred stuff pretty quickly.

But you can't go wrong with a Python though, mines current fitted out as a 280T transporter, I'll give the FDL a little longer, but if it doesn't work out, it might be back to Python and Vulture.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:19 am

I will have to give that one a shot, would certainly ease up on some power issues.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

UnmarkedBoxcar
Master
Master
CMDR: UnmarkedBoxcar

Postby UnmarkedBoxcar » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:08 am

*chants* Python, Python, Python!

The problem with your FdL is that it isn't a Python! :mrgreen:

...erm... who, me? I was just leaving. <.<

ZATZAi
Novice
Novice
CMDR: ZATZAi

Postby ZATZAi » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:32 am

I am still in a Vulture, but I plan to fly an FDL in the near future. I have been playing around with builds in the Ship Designer and have come up with something I intend to try myself. Take a gander if you want...

http://coriolis.io/outfit/fer_de_lance/ ... -FDL-Multi

Skipp
Master
Master
CMDR: Skipp Doe

Postby Skipp » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:56 am

I'd like to think about several ships in this game as... well, kind of prestige. You know - something that you buy just because you can and it looks awesome.

FDL and the Clipper being two of those. I personally fly a Clipper at the moment because i think it's one of the best looking ships currently available. When it comes to dogfights - it takes ages to flip it around and anything that's not another clipper can easily outmaneuver you. I won't even start about the fact you can't dock at outposts because the damn thing is friggin huge :D

I never flew a FDL but it's the next ship after the Clipper that I'd get just for its looks.
ImageImage

uvelius
Master
Master
CMDR: Uvelius Sång

Postby uvelius » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:46 pm

Skipp wrote:I personally fly a Clipper at the moment because i think it's one of the best looking ships currently available.

Ah, I absolutely *love* your "bah, efficiency" approach. While they are efficient without doubt -- in their own way.

BTW, discount for the FDL anywhere? :mrgreen:

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:49 pm

Yea, had a clipper and I honestly liked that in combat more than the FDL, can't really say why and with it you can do other things as well, you can even take that sexy thing out exploring, or trading if that matters.

Heck trading in the clipper was fun, getting interdicted just meant an npc really wanted to die :P

Nah, sold the ferdie, it's too dedicated to combat, but outside of top speed it's beaten out by my vulture..
Since lasers also hit harder the closer you get, those two c3 pulses on a vulture kills twice as fast as ferdie at this point.
Last edited by TorTorden on Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Return to “General Discussion”