Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

What are the thoughts on using PA's?

Postby Loriath » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:41 pm

I have been thinking of switching from the Vulture to a Python in the near future, so I am looking at loadouts. I was wondering what the current thoughts are on using Plasma Accelerators? Good? Bad? Ugly? :)

Been watching a few 'Tube videos of them in action and quite like them. I would really like missiles, but they are not that great in game unfortunately. PA's seem to have that Missile feel but do some real damage.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

Colin The Grey
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Colin The Grey
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: What are the thoughts on using PA's?

Postby Colin The Grey » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:02 pm

I played around with a PA on my python for a while - great damage - but....

100 ammo is pain - sounds like enough but if you hit a good RES spawn - you don't want to be leaving for ammo.

Delay between shots is annoying - seems like forever - and against a beam conda - 5s is a long time :)

In the end I went back to 3 gimballed bursts and 2 gimballed multi cannons for subsystems. I rarely even fire the cannons - usually only on Pythons or Anacondas once the shield is down to finish them off if I need to.

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:14 pm

I tried one in beta on a FDL........

Could not hit jack shit with it.......Unless I had the muzzle resting on the targets hull..............

:)

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Dudley
Master
Master
CMDR: Dudley_Dawg

Postby Dudley » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:29 pm

Guys... If not a PA, what about rail guns?
Dudley
As a tribute to Tor, my CMDR has small feet too! o7 Dawg

Ozzy81
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Ozzy81

Postby Ozzy81 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:34 pm

Well, I'm currently using 2 c3 bursts, 2c2 pulses and c3 PA. Must say I love the combo. And hitting subsystem with PA not only does incredible damage, it makes you feel good.

And the lasers are more than enough if u run out of ammo. I use PA for condas, clippers and pythons only, so the 100 gives me enough ammo to last a long time.

The most fun combo was when I had 2xc3 burst,1c3 pulse and 2c2 rails. Now that gave a punch. But the 30 ammo is a real problem.

Thrudd
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Thrudd

Postby Thrudd » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:23 am

The PA takes quite a bit of practice to get used to but once you get good with it it's a great weapon.

I like to fit 1 large PA with two fixed large beams and two gimbaled medium multi cannons to my python. The pa is great fun vs larger ships.

I mainly fly the anaconda though and love the huge PA. It's really powerful when it hits and feels great when you pull off a tricky snap shot hitting the power plant and popping your target. :-D

uvelius
Master
Master
CMDR: Uvelius Sång

Postby uvelius » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:25 am

While I am only flying a Vulture, as for PAs I must say I love them. Of course you will face a real challenge with getting the power flow right, especially if you are really bold and try to outfit anything more energy-consuming than a Pulse on the second hardpoint.
But it just rocks. The big difference to a Python may be, though, that a Vulture can really claw into the neck of its target and pound it at point blank range -- but I even managed to blow up Cobras or (NPC) Eagles by aiming carefully.

You will spend quite some credits on ammo (which is nothing compared to the "new" bounties, so not an issue). You will waste a LOT of ammo at the beginning and, if you continue training your aim, also later. But I found out than if I have a firm grip on aiming and save the ammo for big boys and times of need (like when I had a blown canopy and the Clipper in front of me still refused to explode), than I can stay in a RES for quite some time and get through a run with 1-2 mil before the PA is running dry.
Ah yes, and your patience is really tested for thermal overload occurs even BEFORE pulling the trigger the first time, if you are already firing your laser. So you have to stay in the target circle for quite a time before a shot is finally fired. Or you have to stop firing your laser for a while. And yes, use four pips in Weps.
And while it feels strange to continue with just one laser, even that is no problem in a normal RES.
In contrast, Cannons, while great fun as well, just run out of ammo much too quickly so I discarded them.

Bottom line:
- The damage of the PA is outstanding, though it even could be a bit higher (Class 3).
- Ammo costs are high, but that is no issue compared to bounties.
- PAs are FUN. Aiming is really interesting, especially when shooting at nimble targets or from a distance. Someone compared it with playing golf. I would say it reminds of the old straight-line-torpedo launching by submarines.
- In smaller craft like Vultures, you learn patience and holding a steady trigger finger due to cooldown times.
=> You learn to aim properly, develop a feel for the moves of different ship types, and save the shots instead of just spraying all over the universe with bullets or laser beams.

- Anyone tried two PAs on a Vulture? That might be REAL fun (or instant self-destruction) :D
Last edited by uvelius on Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath

Postby Loriath » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:58 am

I run a Vulture now with 2 Pulses. Of course they are gimbaled as I am a crack shot (I shoot through the cracks in the wall 2m directly in front of me :P )

I may pick up a Viper or Cobra to practice Fixed PA practice. No harm in trying.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

Return to “General Discussion”