The Vulture loadout Thread: Plasma, Beam, Cannon, Shield Boosters ...

Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Eva
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Eva
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: The Vulture loadout Thread: Plasma, Beam, Cannon, Shield Boosters ...

Postby Eva » Mon May 25, 2015 4:26 pm

Here's my setup: http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=60N,4zh4z ... E7dq10i0nE

If you turn the cargo hatch, frameshift drive, fuel scoop and docking computer off you'll end up 0.03 MW below your max power output so everything runs fine. If you upgrade the life support to A and have it turn off when the weapons are out you can get another 1 MW to play with if you want to fly it that way (you'll have 25 minutes of 'guns out' time before you need to dock or suffocate :P). In my experience so far this setup is extremely agile, very fast and very powerful. The ship will start to overheat if you're firing the lasers nonstop and boosting but otherwise I don't have issues. I just chucked the hull reinforcement on because I had nothing else I particularly wanted. Also I made the fuel scoop big because class 4 shield cells use too much power and I don't enjoy staring at stars : )

If you wanted to tweak it a bit you could change to burst or pulse lasers to save power and ramp up the defences or something but I find this build works extremely well for me : ) I'm loving it!

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin

Postby Flip » Mon May 25, 2015 11:46 pm

JohnLuke wrote:Whoops! My bad, sorry. I meant to say shield cell. I have edited my original post, so that I don't confuse anyone else. :P

It's OK, no need to apologize. :)
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

Octopoid
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Octopoid

Postby Octopoid » Tue May 26, 2015 2:26 am

Ran a C3 beam and C3 cannon on mine, but detest running out of ammo.

I always had power issues with the Vulture... and it is so sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow for such a small ship. A class thrusters only add about 20km/s over the E class. I went with D's for the weight saving and jump range increase.

I didn't see the point of the A version, it's not enough of a speed difference to make any.. erm... difference really :)

My other issue with running 2 lasers is the "4 pips in shields" rule of thumb I try to stick with. Simply can't without it feeling like I'm flying a truck if I have no pips in thrusters, or the guns won't fire for more than a few seconds if I have 1 pip in each.

Give me a Vulture with 20mw and I'll be a happy man ;)

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Loriath » Tue May 26, 2015 6:16 am

Octopoid, if you run A shields, and a couple of boosters, then you don't need 4 in shields. I usually run 1 in shields, 2 if its a Anaconda I am taking on. I have A shields, A power, C Thrusters, and D everything else, with 2 Boosters, KWS, FSD Interdicor, and 2 Class 3 Pulses. I have tried Bursts, but don't like them, not enough difference in damage for the Power used. Beams can work, but shooting time is a lot less.

I have no issues with power as long as I setup my priority properly, but then I have not tried PA's with the Lasers. Yes, 2 beams may over do it but you should be able to run 1 with the cannon with no issue.

I wish I could run Railguns and have a lot more ammo, that is really fun. A PA and a Pulse is fun as well.

And yes, it is slow. But is has very good maneuverability. So far, only the Eagle is better.

Vipers are a pain to deal with because they can outrun you at the drop of a hat. Eagles can run circles around you. Everything else is a sitting duck.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin

Postby Flip » Tue May 26, 2015 9:12 am

Loriath wrote:Vipers are a pain to deal with because they can outrun you at the drop of a hat. Eagles can run circles around you. Everything else is a sitting duck.

With Vipers I now target their drives first. Once they're off, there's nothing they can do. Eagles are very fun to deal with if you have a HOTAS and are used to pull flying tricks such as FA off, reverse thrusting and so on. They're even more fun when they're flown by an Elite NPC. Otherwise, it can be a bit too easy.
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

Trinity Star
Master
Master
CMDR: Trinity Star

Postby Trinity Star » Sun May 31, 2015 8:07 pm

Just thought I'd put this here...

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous

The Vulture loadout Thread: Plasma, Beam, Cannon, Shield Boosters ...

Postby Loriath » Sun May 31, 2015 9:16 pm

Yep, that's a killer Victoria.

I stayed with a lighter weight build. Thrusters are D, shields C. Lightweight bulkheads, and two A Shield boosters. Got me better range, and since I rarely se PvP, it's more than enough for PvE.

But your build I don't want to go up against. It's a beastly ship with that configuration. 'Conda killer for sure.

And the paint jobs screams MURDERER lol
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~

Trinity Star
Master
Master
CMDR: Trinity Star

Postby Trinity Star » Sun May 31, 2015 9:53 pm

I got rid of the hull reinforcement package, made the ship sluggish.

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby Loriath » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:19 am

VictoriaG wrote:I got rid of the hull reinforcement package, made the ship sluggish.

With the killer shields and a couple of boosters, it is still a beast. And Hull doesn't help when they target subsystems.

Did you find a difference with the upgraded thrusters? I found it helped a Bit (Going to A over D) but the extra weight made me feel the cost/weight wasn't worth what little extra speed advantage it gave me. I would rather have the Jump Range.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~

clivewil
Master
Master
CMDR: clivewil + clivus

Postby clivewil » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:28 am

these two are Cuddles and Fluffy, with different builds for different purposes (initials stand for Cargo vs. Fighter, hence the names)

courier/light cargo carrier for doing missions and running contraband.
Cuddles also does well in a RES.

pure fighter. power plant overloaded to the max, config centred around 1x beam and 1x pulse.
Fluffy is the ship i use in conflict zones, and is also preferred for RESs

note there's no additional armour on either. i figure if an enemy has got my shields down, then i've already lost the fight and it's time to run. ADSs and KWSs get switched in/out as required.
-- Fly safely, shoot straight, kill quickly, land softly --

Return to “General Discussion”