Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Gorf
Master
Master
CMDR: Hardy
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

NPCs unaffected by chaff

Postby Gorf » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:29 am

Has anyone noticed that chaff only affects players - so if you're taking fire, your chaff spoils your agressor's aim. If you're giving out fire, the NPC's chaff spoils your aim.

However, when an NPC drops chaff, other NPCs' fire seems unaffected. At first I thought it might just be that they were using fixed weps, but last night's ultimately disastrous blast around an RES showed NPC beam turrets landing perfect shots on my target while my gimballed pulses were dancing.

Colin The Grey
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Colin The Grey

Re: NPCs unaffected by chaff

Postby Colin The Grey » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:00 pm

Not noticed it myself, but when in a RES in my vulture - I fought at close range - the NPC could pop chaff, and as I was so close it had little effect.

BarkingMad
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Barking Mad

Postby BarkingMad » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:35 am

I've wondered about the effectiveness of chaff as well. When I was using it I seemed to get hit from distance much more often than I was able to hit anyone else. Could be worth a ticket.

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Loriath » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:51 pm

The way I understand it, Your Chaff only affects the your current NPC target. Other NPC's would be unaffected. I could be wrong, but this is what I understand. There is a thread on the main forums that I remember reading about it. I will search for it later and see what I find.

Also, I wonder if NPC's use a mix of Fixed and Gimbaled?
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

Black Puddin
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Black Puddin

Postby Black Puddin » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:47 pm

Gorf wrote:Has anyone noticed that chaff only affects players - so if you're taking fire, your chaff spoils your agressor's aim. If you're giving out fire, the NPC's chaff spoils your aim.

However, when an NPC drops chaff, other NPCs' fire seems unaffected. At first I thought it might just be that they were using fixed weps, but last night's ultimately disastrous blast around an RES showed NPC beam turrets landing perfect shots on my target while my gimballed pulses were dancing.

Chaff doesn't affect turrets as far as I'm aware.

Nanosmo
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Nanosmo

Postby Nanosmo » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:15 pm

Chaff by definition should scatter all gimballed and turret weapons. Its effectively throwing out shinny confetti that confuses targeting sensors. Since both Gimballed and Turrets use targeting sensors(how else would they target something?) no matter who is targeting the ship, it should affect all participants who are using such weapons.

Gorf
Master
Master
CMDR: Hardy

Postby Gorf » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:02 pm

And really, it should turn the chaffer into a spurious contact in the scanner (but it doesn't).

Return to “General Discussion”