Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Zeroxephon
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Whats better in your opinion?

Postby Zeroxephon » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:57 pm

Class 3 Pulse Lasers
Class 3 Burst Lasers
Class 3 Beam Lasers

I have really only ever used Beam lasers and were always under the assumption they were the best until I did some research of my own. Now I am not really sure anymore seeming how the posts I was reading pretty much divulged into people arguing for their laser of choice.

clivewil
Master
Master
CMDR: clivewil + clivus

Re: Whats better in your opinion?

Postby clivewil » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:30 pm

Class 3 beam IF you have the necessary power.

beams do what the others do, but they do it continuously.
-- Fly safely, shoot straight, kill quickly, land softly --

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:42 pm

Yea...From what I can find.....

Talking Gimballed here....

Class 3 beams do twice as much damage as pulses or bursts.....But they have a higher power draw....And their thermal load is 6 whereas pulse and bursts are 1.....

http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Beam_Laser

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Nanosmo
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Nanosmo

Postby Nanosmo » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:16 pm

Yes, Beams. Press the button and watch it burn! But the power draw is difficult for ships without top of the line power systems.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:37 pm

I've only used beams since I moved out of Sideys. In my Vulture I'm using 1x class 3 beam and it usually melts the shields on just about anything in one pass. I'd love to use 2, but I can't find a way to manage the power w/o it being a major hassle. For the other mount I've tried a cannon, but can't hit anything with it. The frag cannons only have 30 rounds. Right now I'm using a class 2 multi-cannon, and it looks so tiny. I'd love a class 3 multi-cannon if they make one. Maybe I should look into using 2x class 3 pulse or burst lasers and see how they compare to the single class 3 beam. If they compare well, and use less power, then I could add a shield booster or upgrade to better sensors or KWS. :idea:
It's time to give this another go.

Nanosmo
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Nanosmo

Postby Nanosmo » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:52 pm

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:I've only used beams since I moved out of Sideys. In my Vulture I'm using 1x class 3 beam and it usually melts the shields on just about anything in one pass. I'd love to use 2, but I can't find a way to manage the power w/o it being a major hassle. For the other mount I've tried a cannon, but can't hit anything with it. The frag cannons only have 30 rounds. Right now I'm using a class 2 multi-cannon, and it looks so tiny. I'd love a class 3 multi-cannon if they make one. Maybe I should look into using 2x class 3 pulse or burst lasers and see how they compare to the single class 3 beam. If they compare well, and use less power, then I could add a shield booster or upgrade to better sensors or KWS. :idea:

Currently have a C3 and D3 Beam installed on my Vulture. I can run both for roughly 25-30 seconds then I use my D3 for continuous damage until my power is back up and then activate my C3 again, rinse and repeat. Not sure what power supply I have, think its the best I can get(can't remember atm).

Zeroxephon
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Zeroxephon

Postby Zeroxephon » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:59 pm

Nanosmo wrote:Currently have a C3 and D3 Beam installed on my Vulture. I can run both for roughly 25-30 seconds then I use my D3 for continuous damage until my power is back up and then activate my C3 again, rinse and repeat. Not sure what power supply I have, think its the best I can get(can't remember atm).

C3 & D3 beam?

I have the best power plant and distributor for the vulture you can get. I usually only have to wait about 6ish seconds for my weapon capacitor to recharge with 4 blips into weps. What is not too bad I guess, seeming how the first full discharge will almost drop a well outfitted anaconda's shields and the 2nd discharge will drop the remaining shields and do about 35% damage to its power plant.

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall

Postby Walter » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:01 pm

Bringing up the Compare panels when buying the loadout for my Vulture, I decided that gimballed D2 beams caused about the same amount of damage as gimballed C3 pulses but without drawing as much power or getting as hot. They also seem to just as effective as multicannons when target shields are off, and more destructive at a distance. Naturally, they don't look as macho.
Of course, gimballed mounted weapons tend to be on and on target for longer, so the comparison between the effectiveness of lasers of different classes isn't always that straightforward. It also depends on the quality of your AI opponent: some just seem to dither under your weapons, while others duck and dive and even shoot back - so unsporting. Obviously, these differing targets can give misleading impressions.
If they are shooting back, your estimation of the power of your weapons might also be clouded by the effectiveness of your shields and the strength your hull.
So a lot of the judgement on various threads is subjective, and the answer is to try out different combinations and see which fit you best.
But now that the ED universe ensures that friends are in the same instance it should be possible to set up a standardised test - it just needs a good friend with lots of money. (I know there have been other tests of weapons in the past, but these were not against a benchmarked target.)
You, with your ship that is to be the weapon test platform, and your affluent friend arrange to meet at a hitech station where all weapons are available. Your friend parks his (or her, or hon) ship and buys a standard sacrificial vehicle while you decide on your loadout. You both then go out beyond the no-fire zone and time the destruction of the subject craft under controlled conditions. You then repeat this with another, identical sacrificial ship and a different loadout. This can be continued either until the funds run out, or the insurance claims get just too much, or your friend collapses under the strain, or a satisfactory conclusion is reached.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:04 pm

Walter wrote:So a lot of the judgement on various threads is subjective, and the answer is to try out different combinations and see which fit you best.
But now that the ED universe ensures that friends are in the same instance it should be possible to set up a standardised test - it just needs a good friend with lots of money. (I know there have been other tests of weapons in the past, but these were not against a benchmarked target.)
You, with your ship that is to be the weapon test platform, and your affluent friend arrange to meet at a hitech station where all weapons are available. Your friend parks his (or her, or hon) ship and buys a standard sacrificial vehicle while you decide on your loadout. You both then go out beyond the no-fire zone and time the destruction of the subject craft under controlled conditions. You then repeat this with another, identical sacrificial ship and a different loadout. This can be continued either until the funds run out, or the insurance claims get just too much, or your friend collapses under the strain, or a satisfactory conclusion is reached.

That might be interesting, and even fun, to do. I'd just make these suggestions:
1. Make sure you are in a wing so no crimes are detected.
2. Use a target ship with strong shields and some meat on its bones - not a basic Sidey.
3. Test the times to take down shields and hull separately.
4. Only take the hull down 80%.
5. Repair after each test* for a pittance compared to insurance.

*Repair after testing shields for any accidental hull damage. You can disable the shields when testing the hull.
It's time to give this another go.

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall

Postby Walter » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:38 pm

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:
Walter wrote:1. Make sure you are in a wing so no crimes are detected.

Good points. Modify original spec to 'Hitech system next to an Anarchy system'.

Return to “General Discussion”