Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
clivewil
Master
Master
CMDR: clivewil + clivus
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Goodbye trading, hello RES farming!

Postby clivewil » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:54 am

i hear a lot of players complaining about the new extra money to be found in RESs, but you do need to work for it - i read many posts over the months from traders about how they'd be watching TV or reading a book or browsing the forums while they were doing their grind.

to me, bounty-hunting in the RESs is much the lesser of the two evils - at least it requires you to be present, playing, the whole time. i'm quite happy that bounty hunting is now a valid way of earning
-- Fly safely, shoot straight, kill quickly, land softly --

Vigothas
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Sengo

Postby Vigothas » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:41 am

I agree with you Clivewil, and honesttly I have tried nearly all the avenues to make money, even mining (and yes I enjoyed it in my cobra) but out of all of them i could never live long enough in combat to actually do any harm. Now with this new combat ship and farming at a RES everybody has the ability to quite potentally make money hand over fist, is the Vulture overpowered? Perhaps. Are the RES too easy? Maybe. But for right now, I am thoroughly enjoying this new to me aspect of the game.

clivewil
Master
Master
CMDR: clivewil + clivus

Postby clivewil » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:21 am

is the Vulture overpowered?

if they decide to reduce the power of the Vulture in a future patch, i think all trading ships should also have their cargo capacity reduced by 50 percent too - you know, just to keep things level...
-- Fly safely, shoot straight, kill quickly, land softly --

EAGLE 5
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: EAGLE 5

Postby EAGLE 5 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:41 pm

Vigothas wrote:Thats a combat zone right? What are the npcs like? Ive been up against some deadlys and ive swatted them like flies. Havent come across any elites yet.

GOOD, tougher than RES. There you're dealing with a navy or some sort of military force vs pirate rabble of the RES, meaning they are better armed and more coordinated. Biggest difference is ships are more armored there so you really have to work on shooting someone down vs swatting them, basically your shots aren't as effective.

Manny72
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: ManSlove

Postby Manny72 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:07 pm

Are the RES in Anarchy systems still the best bet? Although you need to KWS them first.
I always show my face... I'm old and I got over it. :D

Crimsonknight3
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Crimsonknight3

Postby Crimsonknight3 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:20 pm

All you guys talking about combat, apart from a foray into the coal sack dark sector Ive spent almost ALL my time around Eravate and the surrounding 50-60Ly... Ive never seen combat zones.... I stop playing Elite for a few weeks, come back and all of a sudden there are 4-5 High Intensity Combat zones hanging around Eravate.... Anyway, same as one of you guys, I am using my Type-6 to haul crap, saving up enough to get myself a vulture and get stuck into a few good battles :) I know people keep saying the Vulture is OP, but the game DID need a sort of mid-tier "joe blog" type ship.... Yeah eagle is great if your a damn good pilot, what about the average pilot? Do they have to wait for the tougher 80-90mil ships? Not every pilot has the raw skill to make the cheaper combat ships suitable >.> Thats my two penneth anywho

Ironclad
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Kevin Renner

Postby Ironclad » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:38 pm

Fellow bounty hunters...Do you realize what this means? It is cool to be one! Suddenly hauling rares and making millions while drinking coffee isn't such a good gig anyome :D

Sic Transit Gloria Mondi, ah?
Seriously now, RES farming, is hard work:
1. Damn asteroids get in your way, and if the RES is far from the star, or the star is a dim red/brown dwarf than it's also dark. Boost into an asteroid, game over, do not pass go, do not collect cash...Happend to me couple of days ago.
2. Not all RES are born equal, the more civilized the system (Fed or empire) the pirate are usually low bounty. Best RES sites are in anarchy so you need a KWS.
3. You might instance into a RES with no action, or with so much security craft it's hard to get a shot into a pirate without getting a wanted status for hitting a "friendly".

But when all is right, and the godess of luck favors you...Cha ching :D ~300k cr in 20min
Log in, drop into a RES, Stumble on a Master conda right off the bat, followed by Python and some cobras. Did I mention I'm using an A grade Vulture :lol:

Happy hunting!
I have…seen things you people wouldn't believe…Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those…moments…will be lost in time, like tears…in...rain. Time…to die…

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Xebeth » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:58 pm

Had an amazing RES tonight, all condors, pythons and drop ships, 3 of the condors and a couple pythons were master, 1M credits in half an hour :twisted:
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Nanosmo
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Nanosmo

Postby Nanosmo » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:08 am

Any good systems to go RES'ing? Looking to do some soon.

Corsaire31
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Cyol Serkor

Postby Corsaire31 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:11 am

clivewil wrote:
is the Vulture overpowered?

if they decide to reduce the power of the Vulture in a future patch, i think all trading ships should also have their cargo capacity reduced by 50 percent too - you know, just to keep things level...

Why keep things level ? Trading being far less fun than bounty hunting, it's normal it pays a bit more, otherwise noone would be trading anymore... :lol:
"The best proof that extraterrestial intelligences exist is that they never tried to contact us"

Return to “General Discussion”