Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Vikinger
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Vulcor
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Frontier Bans all tradingtools.

Postby Vikinger » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:50 am

Just saw on the forums that Frontier is taking action against all those trading tools and will not allow them anymore.

we're no longer allowing tools that are accessing the game, its data, resources or communications.

We are considering an external API for future development.

Michael

IMO I think that's good as those tools make it so much easier to find best buy and sell prices, and it actually take away a big point of trading. Ive never used any of those tools as It would ruin the fun for me.

And another change to the group forum rule.

Added a rule that groups may not be advertised by private message.

Michael

So be careful if you try and send private message to people and advertise our group.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Frontier Bans all tradingtools.

Postby GlobusDiablo » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:59 am

Vikinger wrote:...And another change to the group forum rule.

Added a rule that groups may not be advertised by private message.

Michael

So be careful if you try and send private message to people and advertise our group.

Well that would be me then. I did that. Read my post in members only. Holy crap. The shit is really hitting the fan over there.

Jeeesuuus! Sorry for the profanity, if anyone feels that way...

CMDR_COENEN
Competent
Competent
CMDR: COENEN

Postby CMDR_COENEN » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:16 am

Banning the tools.... So if I understand it correctly, in 3300 we an fly to the stars, but may have no clear market data. I use the tools all the time, to find some interesting trades. I'm not interested in going back and forward between Aulin and i Bootis or so with always the same cargo.

If we can have trading websites for almost every form of transport in real life in 2014, why not in 3300?

Vikinger
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Vulcor

Postby Vikinger » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:30 am

The reason for not allowing them is that they caused a conflict with in the game.

" We will be improving the security of the trading part of the game in the same we have for other areas of the game.

We faced a couple of issues with the various tools. One is that we have to be careful of seeming to allow tools that plug in or modify the game, especially as we've already had to deal with bugs arising from some of these actions.

Providing an external API is something we'd like to support in the future.

Michael "

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin

Postby Flip » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:42 am

If they plan to provide an API, it'd seem to indicate that they're not against the idea of these tools but against the method(s) they use, which I can understand.

I'm more worried about the mention of advertising groups in private messages. Because it means that despite the "private" in their name, these messages are monitored and therefore are not private at all.
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

CMDR_COENEN
Competent
Competent

Postby CMDR_COENEN » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:57 am

I'm scrolling the thread(s) on the official forum and indeed it's highly technical, not fundamental. So I reacted to soon without knowing all facts. Sorry for that, bad habit!

May I suggest we here at PvE open a section to discuss current markets and trades to keep a sense of market sentiment across the known universe? It's not as up to date as the tools, but it's something realistic to discuss among fellow traders :)

But I do agree on that banning for advertising private groups and even banning respected commanders.

RogueZephyr
Expert
Expert
CMDR: ValTomiana

Postby RogueZephyr » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:59 am

CMDR_COENEN wrote:But I do agree on that banning for advertising private groups and even banning respected commanders.

How then, are we meant to recruit... :-|
-I fly the ocean black, and my little ship goes warp 10-
-Theres nothing that we lack (unless theres something we've forgotten)-

CMDR_COENEN
Competent
Competent

Postby CMDR_COENEN » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:08 am

Let me clarify, I'm not saying I'm happy with that banning at all. I agree with what was said earlier that it is worrying Frontier moderators are banning because of some silly rules about recruiting. I wasn't clear on this. So, excuse me for shouting :) "I'M AGAINST BANNING FOR RECRUITING" :)

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby GlobusDiablo » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:22 am

Flip wrote:...I'm more worried about the mention of advertising groups in private messages. Because it means that despite the "private" in their name, these messages are monitored and therefore are not private at all.

I agree. :)

Silverwolf
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Silverwolf

Postby Silverwolf » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:07 pm

The problem with a lot of rules is that most of the time it is hard to keep up with them.

Am I still allowed to put the group site url (i.e. advertise it) in my signature on the official forums...

Bascially my problem is I do not mind following rules, it's just I hate to read and learn them, it's as bad as doing accounts :(

Return to “General Discussion”