Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
DeckardRunner
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Liet Kynes
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Any EvE Online Players (ex or not)

Postby DeckardRunner » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:27 am

Ok I confess, I'm an EvE player or rather was.

Played it for about 5 years, I have 3 maybe 4 accounts are plexed up should I decide to return, although I've not played for at least 18 months.

I mainly kept to the 'safe' areas (I will not use that other term here), with odd forays into low or zero sec. Mainly I ran the missions and arcs but had a small corp with a POS manufcaturing tech 2 items.

Since joining Elite - I doubt I'll go back to EvE, it looks like the situation there is getting worse. Elite for me recreates part of my childhood and it now looks through my eyes as it looked in my head in 1984. I can relive the dream, explore vast areas of space, discover new worlds, go where no one had gone before.

And now.. with this group it seems I have like minded people to push those boundaries and explore the stars.

In the words of Jean-Luc ... Engage.
[url="http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=38362"]Image[/url]

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Any EvE Online Players (ex or not)

Postby GlobusDiablo » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:52 am

DeckardRunner wrote:Ok I confess, I'm an EvE player or rather was.

Played it for about 5 years, I have 3 maybe 4 accounts are plexed up should I decide to return, although I've not played for at least 18 months.

I mainly kept to the 'safe' areas (I will not use that other term here), with odd forays into low or zero sec. Mainly I ran the missions and arcs but had a small corp with a POS manufcaturing tech 2 items.

Since joining Elite - I doubt I'll go back to EvE, it looks like the situation there is getting worse. Elite for me recreates part of my childhood and it now looks through my eyes as it looked in my head in 1984. I can relive the dream, explore vast areas of space, discover new worlds, go where no one had gone before.

And now.. with this group it seems I have like minded people to push those boundaries and explore the stars.

In the words of Jean-Luc ... Engage.

I downloaded it once, many years ago, but it never grabbed me. So no, I haven't played it. But as I understand, it has definitely held its place in the gaming hall of fame. But age is showing, no?

I look forward to exploring Elite: Dangerous space with this crew though. :)

Silverwolf
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Silverwolf

Postby Silverwolf » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:54 am

I have read about it a lot and people keep saying to progress much you need really an incredible amount of hours put to it, so that stopped me ever trying it.

DeckardRunner
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby DeckardRunner » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:14 am

To some degree it is showing its age. They have updated the graphics from time to time and yes it does take a lot of hours to build anything although it does let you train skills started online offline. It has immense depth and for that reason it's often called spreadsheets online. It lacks the feel of space, its largely a point and click move mentality, a way point to way point move system. Docking is simply approaching the station and when your within 20km (IIRC) click request dock and a few seconds later you're in.

It's not a bad game it's simply not Elite, it's focused on multi-corporation battles for space and resources. Its definitely not a universe engine like Elite, there are no unexplored areas never seen by man, there are no-go areas controlled by the corporations and alliances, but everything there has been places by the devs.

The attraction for elite (for me anyway) is that once we get beyond the 150,000 placed stars and get into the vastness of space it will be all procedurally generated, the systems we see will be unknown to even the developers. What worlds lay beyond that edge. This groups eyes may well be the first eyes to see those sights.

Bring it on.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby GlobusDiablo » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:01 am

DeckardRunner wrote:......The attraction for elite (for me anyway) is that once we get beyond the 150,000 placed stars and get into the vastness of space it will be all procedurally generated, the systems we see will be unknown to even the developers. What worlds lay beyond that edge. This groups eyes may well be the first eyes to see those sights.

Bring it on.

So say we all! :)

Silverwolf
Competent
Competent

Postby Silverwolf » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:23 am

GlobusDiablo wrote:
DeckardRunner wrote:......The attraction for elite (for me anyway) is that once we get beyond the 150,000 placed stars and get into the vastness of space it will be all procedurally generated, the systems we see will be unknown to even the developers. What worlds lay beyond that edge. This groups eyes may well be the first eyes to see those sights.

Bring it on.

So say we all! :)

There are interesting possibilities that people have not even thought of I think. I suppose there will be dedicated forums to display pictures and videos of where people have explored to. Probably there will be databases created where people will fill with data of where people have gone to, although I would feel it more immersive to buy that data within the game.

DeckardRunner
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby DeckardRunner » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:27 am

Silverwolf wrote:There are interesting possibilities that people have not even thought of I think. I suppose there will be dedicated forums to display pictures and videos of where people have explored to. Probably there will be databases created where people will fill with data of where people have gone to, although I would feel it more immersive to buy that data within the game.

Almost my thinking except, we could catalogue the systems and hopefully with the addition of a ships camera image them as well. Create the "Don't Panic" Encyclopaedia Galactica.

Silverwolf
Competent
Competent

Postby Silverwolf » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:33 am

DeckardRunner wrote:
Silverwolf wrote:There are interesting possibilities that people have not even thought of I think. I suppose there will be dedicated forums to display pictures and videos of where people have explored to. Probably there will be databases created where people will fill with data of where people have gone to, although I would feel it more immersive to buy that data within the game.

Almost my thinking except, we could catalogue the systems and hopefully with the addition of a ships camera image them as well. Create the "Don't Panic" Encyclopaedia Galactica.

Yes and create a "Don't Panic" android app to access the database. I can develop on Android. Not sure if this would infringe Elite Copyrights though if we were to create an app from it...

Neillm
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Zachus

Postby Neillm » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:25 am

I played EVE for a while a few years ago. I think my main problem with it was that you just couldn't 'catch up' with players who had been playing for longer, with the training aspect of it. In most other MMOs, you could put more time in or just get better yourself but as it was all driven by offline training time...no can do.

I quite enjoyed it while I was playing, until the 'entrepreneurs' decided to start demanding money from our corporation for no other reason than if we didn't, they'd camp us to death in stations. What fun.

Mobius
Master
Master
CMDR: Mobius

Postby Mobius » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:39 pm

I was a beta tester for the game, and also played it for about 18 months before I got pissed of with the player killers.
it was the type of game that if you wasn't in a group then there really wasn't any reason to play it, a real shame because I thought it was a great game, now if they made a single player offline version of eve then I imagine it would sell pretty well.

Return to “General Discussion”