Bounty Hunting seems not so profitable.

Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Bounty Hunting seems not so profitable.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:20 pm

It may not seem so profitable, but it does allow you to increase your combat rank faster than trading. :roll:
It's time to give this another go.

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin

Postby Flip » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:32 pm

And it's much more fun, too!
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

CMDR Beanbags
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Beanbags

Postby CMDR Beanbags » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:32 am

Find a system where you have resource extraction sites with a platform close by. The best one I have found was Apam Napat system. You have 2 planets with metal and rock rings, 2 or 3 sites per planet. Each planet has its own platform.

Duck into one site, if you see cobras hang around there for a couple of hours. I can rack up 3-400k in a couple of hours. Lots of fun. Sometimes a wanted conda will drop in with 70-100k bounty. Thats a bonus.

Viper of cobra for you ship, multis on mediums and beams on smalls. I run gimballed multis and fixed beams. Take plenty of shield cells. I run over powered so i can put the shield cells im not using on priority 2. If you have 4 or 5 banks of cells, when you use one you sometimes use one off all banks....crazy i know! I mix trading and hunting, depending on my mood, and never get bored !!

Kredno
Harmless
Harmless

Postby Kredno » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:17 am

CMDR Beanbags wrote:If you have 4 or 5 banks of cells, when you use one you sometimes use one off all banks....crazy i know! I mix trading and hunting, depending on my mood, and never get bored !!

I believe you can just turn off the bank(s) you don't want to use until the one you're using is low or out, then turn on the next.

Philip Coutts
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Coutts

Postby Philip Coutts » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:24 am

You aren't really ever going to make a fortune bounty hunting but it is the most fun you can have. I'm trading a lot at the minute but I still hanker for a bit of action but it just doesn't pay that well. I am bumbling about in a T6 at the moment with a cobra stashed somewhere safe but I'm thinking of upgrading to an Asp and selling the cobra for a fully loaded Viper and having at bounty hunting with it and exploring / trading in the Asp.

KleinerFisch
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Pisciculus

Postby KleinerFisch » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:27 am

This is how I go Bounty-Hunting, for 200k+/h easily. I bring my nicely equipped Viper to a system with a RES that is close to an outpost of a faction you get most bounties of. This to have a quick reload time and just in case that I might accidently hit some cops or clean ships with a stray shot and need to get rid of WANTED status :roll:

The trick that does allow the best profits without much disturbances is to NOT jump to the RES, but drop out of supercruise in the ring where the RES is. Just target RES, cruise towards it, reduce speed and slowly go down towards the ring until you TOO CLOSE- EMERGENCY DROP into the ring. Repeat, until you get dropped into an instance with WANTED pirates, might take a few tries. But once you're in an instance with one or more pirates, each time you shoot one down a new one appears ! Target - kwscan - shoot - 3-2-1- next target ... and without cops catching friendly fire or traders/miners disturbing the flow. Pirates come in nice variety ... sideys/eagles/cobras/adders/vipers with the usual bounties 1-15k but also asp/pythons/condas/dropships with 40-100k.

PS: Beware of DANGEROUS Pythons ... these NPC pilots might kick your "rear thruster" :lol:
You sure have bigger fish to fry ...

Jerakeen
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Jerakeen

Postby Jerakeen » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:27 pm

Bounty hunting for me is the fun part of the game which is paid for by the luxury grinding and the rare runs. Just like life really. You go to work Monday to Friday to support yourself and to pay for having fun at the weekend.
Although it's a thrill when you get a big bounty (my record is 124k) I'm not in it for the money.

Scarstitchez
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Scarstitchez

Postby Scarstitchez » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:50 pm

Yea I wasnt expecting to get rich doing it but it seemed to me that I was not even getting close to 100k/h because all I ever saw were Sideys. Thanks to you guys that have posted tips on how you do your hunting. I am currently in Tenche capitalizing on the Luxuries and then I will head somewhere for some bounty hunting. I havent really decided on what faction to actually back yet if any. I am moving towards getting an Asp and getting lost in deep space for a bit but I am not sure. I do want to put together a decent combat ship to play around in open eventually but for now the credit grind is priority.

KleinerFisch
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Pisciculus

Postby KleinerFisch » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:58 pm

Yeah, bounty hunting is not as profitable as trading in the long run. Good for making the first few millions, but taking too much time to take the next step ... that's where I am now. Got a Cobra (multipurpose) and Viper (pure combat) stored for fun times, doing trade runs in a Type-6 to earn the creds towards a Python ;)
You sure have bigger fish to fry ...

Ironclad
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Kevin Renner

Postby Ironclad » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:11 pm

I Second the near RES solution. Stumbled on it yesterday and the fools just keep on coming. Icing on the cake was a novice 'conda, no shields, 60k bounty. Sweet. Had to bug out when my shield cells were depleted and I "accidentally" hit a wanted fed dropship while gunning down a clipper, they both started hammering me.
I have…seen things you people wouldn't believe…Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those…moments…will be lost in time, like tears…in...rain. Time…to die…

Return to “General Discussion”