Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Cometborne
Master
Master
CMDR: Cometborne
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: What are you doing (ingame) now?

Postby Cometborne » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:04 pm

From various comments made in the CG thread, all permit missions seem to be bugged at the moment.
Dirty deeds done dirt cheap for reasonable prices

Darwin
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Darwin

Postby Darwin » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:35 pm

JustSomeGuy wrote:I still seem to have Sirius permit, but is this permit bug affecting other permits too? I have Jotun 'permit acquisition opportunity' mission and it says someone will send me a mail to my inbox with details. Nothing yet..

I think most inbox missions have issues atm as Cometborne said

Cometborne wrote:From various comments made in the CG thread, all permit missions seem to be bugged at the moment.
“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time”
CMDR Darwin, Inara profile

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs

Postby thebs » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:27 pm

Pembroke wrote:
Orkekum wrote:
Pembroke wrote:just lost my anaconda to a federal dropship interdiction.... I literally lasted around 10-15 seconds... I don't even... not going to be playing that for a couple weeks now
Now now. Lets try not to surrender!
How was your conda equipped?
er... no surrender about it, I simply wont be able to afford to play the thing for a couple weeks. As for equipped, a A6 shield and enough A class boosters to shield solo orbiter, not that they mattered. "Impulse attack!" is all I heard and then it was gone.
edit: dug up the outfit, only thing to change is the fact that the FSD, thrusters and power plant had engineer mods, power plant being armored, thrusters with a clean mod that made them more efficient, and the fsd with a stage two range mod
https://coriolis.io/outfit/anaconda/0pp ... =doofconda
I haven't played the game for a good, full week now. I've watched a lot of video on-line.

Basically, it comes down to the following ...
    Everyone talks about equipping ships "proper," and this usually means "combat" (limited cargo, especially in a Python or lower, much less mining) and "engineer upgrades"
    People are still running into NPCs with various combo attacks as well as various upgrades
    The few videos I've seen on "how to not die" are basically "don't run" (ala back to the first, equip for combat), boost, FA off and turn around and then fire at the enemy while rolling

Frankly, the game should have never gotten to this point, and only justifies why anyone who doesn't want to do combat, and cannot afford the continual insurance costs, have stopped playing. Those who can afford the insurance costs, because they have hundreds of millions, no longer grind much any way, so it matters little. And those who cannot are now back to affordable ships, insurance-wise, like the Cobra, Viper and Vulture.

Pretty much why I've checked out entirely, after watching a lot of 2.1.02 video ... before even considering the mission bugs, which I can understand do happen. But being unable to afford to play, that's just deadly. I can only imagine how bad it is for newer players.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

Orkekum
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Orkekum

Postby Orkekum » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:01 pm

I just got interdicted by an asp and then a diamondback in my python with 192 ton of cargo. Burst, pulse turrets and two large multis does quick job of shield and hull. Yet to run ibto those nasty ones after patching.
Tho i am only mostly doing cargo missions. Right bow in Cardea for OOM. We are not doing great there. But more flying after work

Cometborne
Master
Master

Postby Cometborne » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:11 pm

thebs wrote:Everyone talks about equipping ships "proper," and this usually means "combat" (limited cargo, especially in a Python or lower, much less mining) and "engineer upgrades"

I presume that this comes from the Frontier forums, and the "this game is all about combat" attitude there is one of the reasons why I only read a few specific threads on them, and browse the bug forum.

What I do not get is why the experiences are so different. JohnLuke does trade runs in a unarmed trade-optimized cutter, which only has an A6 shield as well, and while he does get interdicted by Elite NPCs, he does not report many issues with running, and certainly no ship loss. And A-B-A trade runs in a cutter means hauling imperial slaves, so we are talking about 7 MCr in cargo here.

Pembroke flies around in an Anaconda with an A6 shield, and looses it.

I do various BB missions for OoM in my python, get interdicted by Elite NPCs, but can simply run as well. You try mining/trading in your Python, and loose several of them.

Heck, I do UA runs in unarmed exploration Asp, which causes the game to spawn NPC pirates in uninhibited systems far from civilization, get interdicted, and can run without problems. The biggest danger of loosing this ship was the UA corroding it from the inside, and me not pulling up fast enough and belly-planting into a planet.

Why are the experiences so different?

thebs
Master
Master

Postby thebs » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:17 pm

Cometborne wrote:JohnLuke does trade runs in a unarmed trade-optimized cutter, which only has an A6 shield as well, and while he does get interdicted by Elite NPCs, he does not report many issues with running, and certainly no ship loss. And A-B-A trade runs in a cutter means hauling imperial slaves, so we are talking about 7 MCr in cargo here.
Well, certainly if you can get cr7M a run, then that adds up quickly.

If you're like me, and getting cr300K trade mission or maybe cr2M after several mining missions, it takes a lot longer to cover the 5M insurance for a Python. So all it takes is 1 loss to kill everything. In my case, it happens every freak'n time I login. There's something that is attracting them to me.

Then again, a Cutter is cr200M. A Python is cr70M. So the Cutter is more like between an Anaconda and a Corvette. I guess the pirates see us 50-100M net worth "lower fruit" as "the best bang for the buck (risk)?"

Cometborne wrote:Why are the experiences so different?
Don't know. I've watched a lot of video, 10 hours no less, over the past week instead of playing. The funny thing is ... I'm Federation allied, and in Federation systems, including allied with even local factions in many cases.

Everyone hates a Fed-lover perhaps?
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

Cometborne
Master
Master

Postby Cometborne » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:06 pm

thebs wrote:
Cometborne wrote:JohnLuke does trade runs in a unarmed trade-optimized cutter, which only has an A6 shield as well, and while he does get interdicted by Elite NPCs, he does not report many issues with running, and certainly no ship loss. And A-B-A trade runs in a cutter means hauling imperial slaves, so we are talking about 7 MCr in cargo here.
Well, certainly if you can get cr7M a run, then that adds up quickly.

I was talking about the gross value of the cargo, imperial slaves are about 11 KCr per ton, and a trade cutter means 720 tons of them. Profits are more like 3k-4k per ton. Which does add up, of course.

thebs wrote:If you're like me, and getting cr300K trade mission or maybe cr2M after several mining missions, it takes a lot longer to cover the 5M insurance for a Python. So all it takes is 1 loss to kill everything. In my case, it happens every freak'n time I login. There's something that is attracting them to me.

And that is the point that interests me. Why are you getting so much grief, while people like JohnLuke and I aren't?

thebs wrote:Then again, a Cutter is cr200M. A Python is cr70M. So the Cutter is more like between an Anaconda and a Corvette. I guess the pirates see us 50-100M net worth "lower fruit" as "the best bang for the buck (risk)?"

Does not mesh with my experiences running missions in the Python.

thebs wrote:
Cometborne wrote:Why are the experiences so different?
Don't know. I've watched a lot of video, 10 hours no less, over the past week instead of playing. The funny thing is ... I'm Federation allied, and in Federation systems, including allied with even local factions in many cases.

Everyone hates a Fed-lover perhaps?

JohnLuke has a Federal Corvette, so he must be at least a Rear Admiral in the Federation. IIRC, he did the grind to get to (full) Admiral before 2.1 dropped. I did the same because I had heard about the upcoming overhaul of the mission system, feared the worst, and was not disappointed. So we are both Fed-lovers. Okay, and Empire-lovers, since you need to be at least a Duke to be allowed to buy a cutter.

Anyway, I have decided to roll the dice now in a major way. I am doing the Barnacle tourist and mad UA science thing in the Pleiades at the moment, and the ASP lacks the internal compartments for all the kit I need/want and the firepower needed to deal with some of their defences. So I am on my way back to Rafferty's Mobius to swap the Asp Explorer for the Python, which then needs some RNGneer attention, which means running missions for parts.

"Let's see what happens".

thebs
Master
Master

Postby thebs » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:43 pm

Cometborne wrote:Does not mesh with my experiences running missions in the Python.
Are you worth, total -- not ship, but your account, total worth -- cr50-100M? No more than cr150M? A number of us -- all worth around 100M -- have been wondering why all we're seeing are Dangerous/Deadly/Elite in heavily armed ships and getting our butts handed to us if we attempt to run.

There was another thread on the main forum about this, and it's been interesting who has been running into the most issues. It seems to be us guys as low as an Imperial Clipper or Federal Dropship/Assault Ship up to a Python or similar cost of cr25-70M, plus about 30-50M in equipment.

I.e., it's all speculation and anecdotal at this point, but there may very well a logical issue that targets those of us that aren't worth as much as others.

Pembroke
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Pembroke

Postby Pembroke » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:29 pm

I'm not sure at all, I actually have not had ANY issues in my 'Conda before, even post update. This Federal dropship just came out of nowhere though. I wasn't even hauling anything! Just interdicted me, informed me that he was not all that interested in the great modern convenience of cargo scanners, and then shot me with "something" that did impulse damage. The shields themselves, regardless of how powerful they were, went down a full ring per hit. It wasn't even a matter of turn and fight with this guy, my canopy was out before my hard points even finished deploying.

I feel there is something truly "broken" right now, and some people just haven't yet had the misfortune of stumbling on it. This is my first time, and I log a LOT of hours.
Looks like this dog does its own stunts.

Cometborne
Master
Master

Postby Cometborne » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:51 pm

Pembroke wrote:I feel there is something truly "broken" right now, and some people just haven't yet had the misfortune of stumbling on it. This is my first time, and I log a LOT of hours.

That sounds indeed totally strange, but without video evidence, filing a ticket for return of your insurance money is probably fruitless. I know why I keep Shadowplay running in the background, even if some of the videos done with ALT-F11 are downright embarrassing when I re-watch them later to analyse my combat tactics (which suck).

Return to “General Discussion”