Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
KRRONOSS
Competent
Competent
CMDR: KRRONOSS
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Engineers General Advice

Postby KRRONOSS » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:08 am

I have just purchased Horizons and am about to start visiting Engineers for upgrades etc.

I was wondering whether my fellow CMDRs would have any advice for a newbie Engineer seeker - things to consider etc.

I am currently at Elvira Martuuk's base thinking about FTL drive and (maybe) shields. Is this a good start?

► Show Spoiler
Astronomy compels the soul to look upward, and leads us from this world to another.

Plato, The Republic, 342 BCE.

KRRONOSS
Competent
Competent

Re: Engineers General Advice

Postby KRRONOSS » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:22 am

So just tried on my first upgrade and not sure what this means:

Do i get all the effect under "Primary"effects PLUS all the effects under "Secondary"? I am confused because Integrity is listed on the left (under Primary) and right (under Secondary) and so is Mass, except it is Optimal Mass on left and just Mass on right. Plus the primary effects list integrity decreasing but secondary list as it increasing (and optimal mass and mass have variance too)..? :?

Have i actually achieved +9% Thruster power multiplier (along with an increase of 17% thermal load, 3% power draw, decrease in integrity and optimal mass) or only the effects on the right under Secondary?

Sorry for the noob question!
Astronomy compels the soul to look upward, and leads us from this world to another.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:42 am

Yes both apply.

take integrity basically the invisible health bar for your module, thrusters in this case.

You have a primary negative effect from the mod taking you down from 124 to 116.56, you then get a random secondary for integrity of + 2% bringing the actual total up to 119.46.

These secondary effects are quite random, and you could roll again and not see integrity at all in the secondary effect list.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

pargyrak
Master
Master
CMDR: pargyrak

Postby pargyrak » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:47 am

All upgrades have their drawbacks. Integrity can be an issue when you loose shields so don't loose shields :)

General advice:

Get your ship to A-rate (unless you want an explorer light wight ship) and then implement engineer upgrades to the A rated modules
Make sure you have enough power so oe of the firstupgades should be the power plant
Thermal load could be an issue so be careful when you have Dirty Drive Tuning plus overcharged weapons

Since you have a Python here is what I did to it:

Beam Laser 3C LW Mount G2
Multicannon 2F Overcharged G5
Multicannon 2F Overcharged G5

Shield Boster 1A Heavy Duty G2 40.3
Shield Boster 1A Heavy Duty G2 32.8
Shield Boster 1A Heavy Duty G2 33.3
Shield Boster 1A Heavy Duty G2 32.6

Power Plant 7A Overcharged G4 33.4
Thrusters 6A Dirty Drive Tuning G3 318 415 40.12/124.5/13.83
FSD 5A Increased FSD Range G5 27.33 31.27
Power Distributor 7A Weapons Focused G3
Shield Generator 6A Reinforced Shields G5 1136.4

LW Armor Heavy Duty G4 575.5
Order of Mobius Council
Friends call me pargy

KRRONOSS
Competent
Competent

Postby KRRONOSS » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:30 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys, helps me understand what's happening a lot better.

Assuming "G" means the level you took it to (out of 5) pargyrak?

I wasn't sure whether the upgrades would be available to all ships or only the one you're in, seems to be the later. Might upgrade the Conda fully and take it to get modded... :)

It's either that or complete the grind for Corvette and then kit that out.

uvelius
Master
Master
CMDR: Uvelius Sång

Postby uvelius » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:37 pm

You need only the max grade available, right? So you don't have to upgrade G1, G2 etc. up to G5 separately? Or does even that make your modules better in different areas?

Also, how big is the RNG impact on rerolls? I got first 3% Fuel Usage and then after rerolling 1% FSD spoolup instead (both FSD range) ... and of course the arrows were dancing along the bars again.

BaseKillerWolf
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: BaseKillerWolf

Postby BaseKillerWolf » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:10 pm

uvelius wrote:You need only the max grade available, right? So you don't have to upgrade G1, G2 etc. up to G5 separately? Or does even that make your modules better in different areas?

Also, how big is the RNG impact on rerolls? I got first 3% Fuel Usage and then after rerolling 1% FSD spoolup instead (both FSD range) ... and of course the arrows were dancing along the bars again.

You can upgrade a module to whatever grade you want, as long as you have the materials to do it and you've reached the required reputation with an engineer.

As for the RNG, when it comes time to roll your secondary stats, any stat on the module in question is up for tweaking. Secondary stats can push your primary stats past the limits of what upgrade you just rolled.

Case in point: I rolled a G1 Overcharged Power Plant on my 'Conda. Normally, your heat efficiency is reduced when you roll this, but I was able to come out with a power plant that was better at heat efficiency than a stock A-rated module.

Cometborne
Master
Master
CMDR: Cometborne

Postby Cometborne » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:30 pm

uvelius wrote:You need only the max grade available, right? So you don't have to upgrade G1, G2 etc. up to G5 separately? Or does even that make your modules better in different areas?

You only need the max grade, and there is no advantage to doing the intermediate upgrades. And you can only apply one upgrade to a system, and that completely overwrites all prior upgrades. So if you had for example an L4 upgrade with a secondary bonus of 2% more fuel and then roll an L5 upgrade without that bonus, that bonus will be gone.

My personal strategy is to use the alternative method of leveling up with an engineer rather than grinding along. Martuuk/Farseer/Pallin are quite happy if you sell exploration data at their stations, others prefer commodity trading, mining, bounties, combat bonds, etc. Check Inara for the details of each engineer.

uvelius wrote:Also, how big is the RNG impact on rerolls? I got first 3% Fuel Usage and then after rerolling 1% FSD spoolup instead (both FSD range) ... and of course the arrows were dancing along the bars again.

Re-rolls have the same ranges as the initial roll. However, the display will change so that you can more easily tell if the second value is better or worse.
Dirty deeds done dirt cheap for reasonable prices

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:39 pm

The dweller and lei chung ( power distributor and shields) both can be leveled up with mining.
I heard somewhere that the profit per ton influenced how much gain you got and mining is considered to be 100% profit.

And they happen to have pristine metallic belts not too far off.
But of course for a lot of people mining is less preferred than pulling out their own toenails with a leatherman.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Falcon_D
Master
Master
CMDR: Falcon Darkstar

Postby Falcon_D » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:08 pm

KRRONOSS wrote:I have just purchased Horizons and am about to start visiting Engineers for upgrades etc.

I was wondering whether my fellow CMDRs would have any advice for a newbie Engineer seeker - things to consider etc.

I am currently at Elvira Martuuk's base thinking about FTL drive and (maybe) shields. Is this a good start?

► Show Spoiler

Hi,

Good luck.

Have fun, fly safe. o7 :evil:

Return to “General Discussion”