Falcon_D
Master
Master
CMDR: Falcon Darkstar
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: What are you doing (ingame) now?

Postby Falcon_D » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:25 am

thebs wrote:
TorTorden wrote:Just as a heads up. With level 4 and above upgrades there seem to be a lot of diminishing returns going on.
I rolled a upper mid range lvl fsd increase and its about 1ly worse than my lvl 4.

I'm already getting nearly 25% boost out of my Level 3 Upgraded 6A Frameshift Drive. It's over 2,200 optimal mass, originally 1,800. Fuel consumption is about the same, although it is now over 50t, originally 40t. But I'm now really wondering how much more than I can get.

TorTorden wrote:I recommend stowing your old mod if you can in another ship or at least bring enough for at least three rolls.

Yeah, I already did 2 rolls for the first level, although I only had enough for 1 roll on the 2nd and 3rd. I'm not sure I got this whole engineers thing down correctly.

E.g., if I store the Level 3, do I have to re-do the Level 1-3, or can I skip right to Level 4?

As far as storing in another ship, I think the cheapest ship capable of a Class 6 is a Type 9. Too rich for my blood right now, as I'm worth maybe 200M total. I assume one just sells it, swaps ships, and then buys back within a few minutes? Or is there another way?

BTW, I used "throw away" rolls for FSD Shielding to unlock higher levels, although it's not doing much for me for Level 4 -- e.g., only 1-4% per roll.

TorTorden wrote:I personally have the polonium and the wakes. But the freaking chemical manipulators turns out to be rarer than unicorn nut juice.

I actually have a pair now. Any time I see a debris field (Emissions w/Threat 0), I stop. That's how I got many things.

I just need to get more Yttrium. I only found 1 on Deciat 7b.

I actually tried not to just look up where things where, and after 16 hours of searching various icy and metal rich planets, finally hit the Internet. Deciat 7b turned out to be key. I heard Deciat 1 is the place to find Polonium.

Hello,
As a CMDR pointed out in the main forums the trick to gaining levels with the RNGineers is to do crafting.
Each level requires crafting 3 of the mods of that level.
E.g. To go from level 1 to 2, craft 3 level 1 mods. To go from level 2 to 3, craft 3 level 2 mods.

It does not matter what mod you craft. You can keep it or discard after crafting. Plan out the crafting materials that you need using Inara or some other site. Pick the mods which you either have materials for or know how to get them quickly. I personally tend to skip mods that need Mission only commodities.

You do not need to apply a lower level mod in order to apply a higher level one. E.g. I went directly to a lvl 5 FSD upgrade on my Python. Although now I have 21ly jump range on it and I keep thinking this is a bit low.

Have fun, fly safe. o7

Darr Valen
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Darr Valen
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Darr Valen » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:40 am

Well, I just got done with my first trip in.. 7 months?

Flew back to Jameson. Loved the trip. Remembered how beautiful this game is. But 2 things occurred to me. 1: I am totally out of the loop as to the in-game changes, and felt like a guy that got behind the wheel after not driving for a few decades. 2: I'm pretty sure I've figured out what caused or contributed to my extreme eyestrain that took months to recover from.. unfortunately. Time to replace this screen or redo my setup.. or both.

Glad I waited to replace my HOTAS to get back into the game. A controller or keyboard+mouse just wouldn't be right to me.

Is it just me, or is the radio chatter new? I'm enjoying hearing the station talking to my ship. Adds to the realism/white knuckling an Imperial Cutter while exiting a station without shields, and only 100 million in the bank.

Hrdina
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Hrdina

Postby Hrdina » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:48 am

I made it out to the Crab Nebula.

Azrael looks impossibly far away from here.

I might linger in the neighborhood for a few days, but after that I definitely think I'll head back toward humanity before my lack of an AFMU finally catches up to me.
Jameson & Son are my copilots

Schmobius
Master
Master
CMDR: Schmobius

Postby Schmobius » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:06 am

I think you captured the one angle it almost looks crab-like.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:09 am

Darr Valen wrote: Is it just me, or is the radio chatter new? I'm enjoying hearing the station talking to my ship. Adds to the realism/white knuckling an Imperial Cutter while exiting a station without shields, and only 100 million in the bank.

That was added in 2.1 (1.6).

The call sign they use is ship manufacturer and the first three letters in your commander name spelled using nato phonetics.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

KLED
Novice
Novice
CMDR: KLED

Postby KLED » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:10 pm

I've just climbed another rung on the trade ladder, only one more to go and I'm Elite. Don't hold your breath though, I hit Entrepreneur on the 8th May, nearly two and a half months ago.

I also hit Midshipman today with the Feds, so now I'm allowed to buy Dropships. Should I grab one of those to continue earning rank or stick with my beloved Couriers, hmmm.

Darr Valen
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Darr Valen

Postby Darr Valen » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:21 pm

TorTorden wrote:
Darr Valen wrote: Is it just me, or is the radio chatter new? I'm enjoying hearing the station talking to my ship. Adds to the realism/white knuckling an Imperial Cutter while exiting a station without shields, and only 100 million in the bank.

That was added in 2.1 (1.6).

The call sign they use is ship manufacturer and the first three letters in your commander name spelled using nato phonetics.

I've been really enjoying the chatter.

Spent an hour or so looking for what nebula this was.. turned out to be a bcakground galaxy.. ugh. trolled by the stars.

About to land on Shin Dez 1 A and call it a night, or morning.

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs

Postby thebs » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:35 pm

Falcon_D wrote:Hello,
As a CMDR pointed out in the main forums the trick to gaining levels with the RNGineers is to do crafting.
Each level requires crafting 3 of the mods of that level.
E.g. To go from level 1 to 2, craft 3 level 1 mods. To go from level 2 to 3, craft 3 level 2 mods.
It does not matter what mod you craft. You can keep it or discard after crafting. Plan out the crafting materials that you need using Inara or some other site. Pick the mods which you either have materials for or know how to get them quickly. I personally tend to skip mods that need Mission only commodities.

Yeah, I quickly found this out through experimentation. Luckily I had some "throwaway" materials for mods, like the Level 1 FSD Shielding. I also did some Level 1 Shield Booster mods. But as I got higher, it takes more.

I'm trying to save up 40M so I can get a 7A Power Plant to replace my heavier 8C Power Plant (same 30MJ output), and then I'll do a Power Plant modification to overcharge. The weight difference is easily 1.5ly more with the 7A over the 8C.

Falcon_D wrote:You do not need to apply a lower level mod in order to apply a higher level one. E.g. I went directly to a lvl 5 FSD upgrade on my Python.

Yeah, I wish I would have known this before I wasted some of my materials. Oh well, they weren't that bad.

Falcon_D wrote:Although now I have 21ly jump range on it and I keep thinking this is a bit low.

Yeah, part of the reason I didn't do any engineering crafting until I was in an Anaconda with a 6A Frameshift Drive. Although I probably could have done at least one Shield Booster modification when I had my Python.

I'm glad they un-nerf'd the Python's maneuverability recently, although I still feel it's shields are crap in comparison. I'm so lov'n the Anaconda with even just a 6C Bi-Weave Shield + five (5) Shield Boosters, even with just Level 1 upgrades, for 900MJ or so. Even the 4A Shield, when I want +48t cargo (452t instead of 404t), still gets me nearly 700MJ with those Boosters.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

ToxicVampire
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: ToxicVampire

Postby ToxicVampire » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:38 pm

Well my 100CR bounty for shooting a pirate before the scan was complete messed with my OCD so I started over. I wasn't that far in the game anyways only having an Adder and about 200k in the bank. So I started over and decided to give a nav beacon a chance as I never tried it before. Why have I not been doing this earlier?!! So much money compared to boom data delivery or black box type missions. Instead of the Adder though I'm going to grab an Eagle this time and have some fun in the nav beacons and possibly low res areas to make enough money. Whether I get another Adder or not for small trading/exploring I'm not sure yet.

I know there's a good chance of getting a fine or bounty again but hopefully I can stay more "white knight" for a while. :)

Schmobius
Master
Master
CMDR: Schmobius

Postby Schmobius » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:46 pm

Boom data is only great in certain systems.

I wish I had considered hunting at nav beacons earlier, honestly. It's ok money, and more interesting than trading at times, especially when you don't have many hundreds of tons of cargo capacity yet.

Return to “General Discussion”