Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Want a Real Challenge?

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:19 pm

Download the free 1984 version of Elite from FD and try playing it with keyboard only and w/o reading the manual first. :o

I tried this. I managed to launch myself, and even managed to fire the lasers and change direction (just mashing random keys), but I got blown out of space when the pirates attacked me. I promptly deleted the shortcut to the BBC Micro emulator. A little while later I noticed that there was a PDF copy of the original manual. I browsed through that, learned some interesting things, tried to remember a few of the keys, and gave it another go.

On my second try, I managed to fill my hold with food, program a jump from Lave to Leetsi, and launch. First I tried to see if I could dock. First attempt I got lined up (after about 10 minutes of trying), but was going to slow and the station moved and I was out of position. I turned away and tried again, but a little faster. Shockingly enough, I docked w/o crashing. I launched again and jumped to Leetsi, made it to the station, and successfully docked again! I sold the food for a nice profit and then thought I'd take on some pirates.

I launched, flew away from the station, and eventually got attacked. I could not line up a shot. Even if they were flying straight away from me, fat & dumb, I could not hit them with lasers. I was nearly destroyed several times, but ran away until my energy was restored. Then I tried missiles. I managed to fire 3 missiles at 3 pirates. Two pirates were down, and then the first missile finally hit its target. Lucky for me they kept backing off once they got me nearly destroyed. The NPCs in today's game wouldn't be nearly as nice. If there was a fourth, I never would have survived. :lol:

Anyway, w/o a joystick (playing on my laptop) it is a real pain to fly, as they don't have yaw - only pitch & roll. I suppose if I played for hours or weeks, I'd eventually get the feel for it. I quit after my victory, and don't plan to try it again, but it was interesting experiencing the old game.
It's time to give this another go.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Want a Real Challenge?

Postby GlobusDiablo » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:18 pm

I can't remember if flight mechanics are the same as FE2, but if they are, the key to combat is disengaging main engines and maneouvering with thrusters only.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:23 pm

GlobusDiablo wrote:I can't remember if flight mechanics are the same as FE2, but if they are, the key to combat is disengaging main engines and maneouvering with thrusters only.

I don't think they have thrusters - or even reverse. Just speed, pitch, & roll. But I may be wrong. ;)

Ticky
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Horace in Space

Postby Ticky » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:11 am

No, you're right. There was nothing fancy like reverse on the original!

Roobarb
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Roobarb

Postby Roobarb » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:09 pm

Nothing compares to the feeling you get the first time you dock successfully in Elite '84.

That said, I'm glad it's a damn sight easier to dock these days....

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:41 pm

Roobarb wrote:Nothing compares to the feeling you get the first time you dock successfully in Elite '84.

That said, I'm glad it's a damn sight easier to dock these days....

Oh yeah, I died too many times until I bought a docking computer.

If you find docking easier these days, try it with rotational off, and if that's still too easy, turn off flight assist. :shock:

Roobarb
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Roobarb

Postby Roobarb » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:51 pm

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:If you find docking easier these days, try it with rotational off, and if that's still too easy, turn off flight assist. :shock:

I'm happy with the current state of ease... Which is still a challenge when I've smoked a bit of onionhead! :D

Return to “General Discussion”