Does the Shield cell bank & Auto field-maintainence unit helps?

Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
alphaalif
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: RE: Re: Does the Shield cell bank & Auto field-maintainence unit helps?

Postby alphaalif » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:15 pm

TorTorden wrote:It depends.
It's all a tool set to control when modules turn off, and the trick is getting it to turn off what you dont need, but not when you need it :)
I will also only turn off the highest numerated module group when it exceeds available power, if that's not enough it goes on to the second highest grouping etc.
In the vulture buils I linked I have my guns set to 3, because I will exceed available power when I turn on the cell banks.
But I only need those when I'm in trouble, and I would rather loose guns for a few seconds than thrusters etc.

For my traders I dont even have shield cells cause that takes away cargo.
So for trading you would probably never need to do more with power managent than turn off the fsd etc, depends on fit of course.
I also hear that if you turn off the cargo hatch it may malfunction and drop a few ton, but that has never happened to me.

Thanks. You've really helpful. I will keep your advise as reference. Wish i had wingman like you.

ASP Explorer comms

PulsarShark
Novice
Novice
CMDR: PulsarShark

Re: Does the Shield cell bank & Auto field-maintainence unit helps?

Postby PulsarShark » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:50 pm

The AFMUs are for explorers. They save you if your Fuel Scoop gets fried while you're 1,000 LY from civilization. :)

They can't repair Power Plants though. If you're in the bubble, it's normally better to forget carrying an AFMU and just be good at emergency fast-landing.

alphaalif
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby alphaalif » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:53 pm

PulsarShark wrote:The AFMUs are for explorers. They save you if your Fuel Scoop gets fried while you're 1,000 LY from civilization. :)

They can't repair Power Plants though. If you're in the bubble, it's normally better to forget carrying an AFMU and just be good at emergency fast-landing.

I almost got killed by two CMDRs. What do u think best internals for ASP?

ASP Explorer comms

PulsarShark
Novice
Novice
CMDR: PulsarShark

Postby PulsarShark » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:51 pm

If you're in an Asp, and two players try to mix it up with you, most times you should just run. At least until you get very confident at handling pvp.
The Asp is well liked as a multi role ship. It can do anything. But it isn't going to hold up well fighting other players.

I didn't fly an Asp for very long, but I've heard from a guy recently who uses one to deliver PowerPlay stuff to remote outposts, and he uses a setup similar to this:

http://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/25A5A5A4D ... EYdysuMQ==

(his shield generator is smaller, but I'm suggesting you max yours so you can afford to make some mistakes in your early fights).

Fill empty spaces with cargo racks, interdictor, scanners etc. as you prefer. Combat power is already maxed, but you could drop the shield booster or shrink the Cell Bank if you really want something else.

You burn your target's shields down with sustained beam fire and then finish them with missiles. You can have all your missiles set to fire together so you get 4 firing with one trigger pull. That will kill a lot of smaller ships once their shields are gone.

alphaalif
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby alphaalif » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:11 pm

PulsarShark wrote:If you're in an Asp, and two players try to mix it up with you, most times you should just run. At least until you get very confident at handling pvp.
The Asp is well liked as a multi role ship. It can do anything. But it isn't going to hold up well fighting other players.

I didn't fly an Asp for very long, but I've heard from a guy recently who uses one to deliver PowerPlay stuff to remote outposts, and he uses a setup similar to this:

http://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/25A5A5A4D ... EYdysuMQ==

(his shield generator is smaller, but I'm suggesting you max yours so you can afford to make some mistakes in your early fights).

Fill empty spaces with cargo racks, interdictor, scanners etc. as you prefer. Combat power is already maxed, but you could drop the shield booster or shrink the Cell Bank if you really want something else.

You burn your target's shields down with sustained beam fire and then finish them with missiles. You can have all your missiles set to fire together so you get 4 firing with one trigger pull. That will kill a lot of smaller ships once their shields are gone.

Thanks, you're such a good help. I wasnt sure if i should stick to ASP or VULTURE. VULTURE does overload my modules most of the time so i really am not sure. But i guess both ships have its pros and cons.

ASP Explorer comms

UnmarkedBoxcar
Master
Master
CMDR: UnmarkedBoxcar
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby UnmarkedBoxcar » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:26 pm

alphaalif wrote:I wasnt sure if i should stick to ASP or VULTURE. VULTURE does overload my modules most of the time so i really am not sure. But i guess both ships have its pros and cons.

If I'm not mistaken, CMDR Kharma flies an Asp. And if my memory serves, he's the only commander I can recall that flies one as a multipurpose, not just an explorer. He might be the resident expert on Asp load outs and combat effectiveness?

That or he might just yell at you and tell you to get off his lawn. ;)

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:37 pm

The vulture is a very singular purpose ship.
Bit like an https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ariel_Atom
Built for combat and nothing but combat, there isn't anything pve wise it can't kill with ease.

But I wouldn't recommend taking one on long distance runs or get more than 6-8t of cargo in it without compromising its prowess.
Its a ship you have in addition to other ships, there was a little while I had both an asp and a vulture.
The Asp replaced then my type 6 for trading, it could handle light combat and still carry more cargo than the t6 (which I ran unshielded) and it has amazing jump range.

So much range in fact its only beaten by a stripped down anaconda.

As with all multipurpose ships it has great flexibillity and it can do pretty much anything if you readjust the outfitting.
Only real drawback I can think of is it has a large flat surface so it could easily get overwhelmed with hits if you piss enough npc's in a conflict zone, or solo engaging wings.

As for winging up, I happily wing up with anyone for practically anything. Friend me in game (same nick as here)
Since I fly with a HOTAS and keyboard is half a meter away I prefer voice com's, but ingame voice channels are bug ridden and honestly useless, I recommend using the teamspeak server provided for mobius group (how to in banners) no matter when or where I login into that, you should find a mismatched helpfull bunch of players.
Last edited by TorTorden on Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:44 pm

Yep......

I'll post my spec when I can find it......

Here tis.....

http://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/25A5A5A4A ... Multi-Role

Combat effectiveness really comes down to how good you are and knowing your limits and knowing how your ship handles......I make use of the thrusters a lot in combat.......Also FA off if needed..

There are videos of my combat style in the video section of the forum.....

I have taken down a wing of three on a few occasions.....

I don't use shield cells as can be seen.....Also just ditched the point defence.....Never got used......So that's the empty slot....

Being set up like this I can do whatever I fancy......Obviously not as good as a dedicated ship build....But suits my play style as I get bored quickly and I can just go off and do something else......

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

alphaalif
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby alphaalif » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:15 pm

TorTorden wrote:The vulture is a very singular purpose ship.
Bit like an https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ariel_Atom
Built for combat and nothing but combat, there isn't anything pve wise it can't kill with ease.

But I wouldn't recommend taking one on long distance runs or get more than 6-8t of cargo in it without compromising its prowess.
Its a ship you have in addition to other ships, there was a little while I had both an asp and a vulture.
The Asp replaced then my type 6 for trading, it could handle light combat and still carry more cargo than the t6 (which I ran unshielded) and it has amazing jump range.

So much range in fact its only beaten by a stripped down anaconda.

As with all multipurpose ships it has great flexibillity and it can do pretty much anything if you readjust the outfitting.
Only real drawback I can think of is it has a large flat surface so it could easily get overwhelmed with hits if you piss enough npc's in a conflict zone, or solo engaging wings.

As for winging up, I happily wing up with anyone for practically anything. Friend me in game (same nick as here)
Since I fly with a HOTAS and keyboard is half a meter away I prefer voice com's, but ingame voice channels are bug ridden and honestly useless, I recommend using the teamspeak server provided for mobius group (how to in banners) no matter when or where I login into that, you should find a mismatched helpfull bunch of players.

I do agree but i guess im better on the ASP in a day than a few months on the VULTURE.

ASP Explorer comms

alphaalif
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby alphaalif » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:18 pm

Cmdr Kharma wrote:Yep......

I'll post my spec when I can find it......

Here tis.....

http://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/25A5A5A4A ... Multi-Role

Combat effectiveness really comes down to how good you are and knowing your limits and knowing how your ship handles......I make use of the thrusters a lot in combat.......Also FA off if needed..

There are videos of my combat style in the video section of the forum.....

I have taken down a wing of three on a few occasions.....

I don't use shield cells as can be seen.....Also just ditched the point defence.....Never got used......So that's the empty slot....

Being set up like this I can do whatever I fancy......Obviously not as good as a dedicated ship build....But suits my play style as I get bored quickly and I can just go off and do something else......

Well, i guess you are an expert on the ASP. Im still learning. Thanks to helpful people like yourself and the rest in here, i realise how a noob i am even after months and hours i spent on this game. Hahahaha.

Horizons coming gotta pick up quick before i bore you guys again in this forum.

ASP Explorer comms

Return to “General Discussion”