Falcon_D
Master
Master
CMDR: Falcon Darkstar
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Point Defense shooting ships

Postby Falcon_D » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:00 am

Hello,
I've tried searching using Google but have yet to find this question asked.
Do Point Defense utilities shoot at ships?

When I'm in combat in conflict zones, I suddenly see my point defense ammo diminish but there is no Missile warning. Also, when I start flying too close and behind an Anaconda, with it's full complement of point defense, I suddenly get hit by lots of small caliber weapons fire that starts shredding my shields (I currently suspect that this is from the Conda's PD, I might be wrong.)

Thank you and regards.

Dr.Acula
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Dr_Acula

Re: Point Defense shooting ships

Postby Dr.Acula » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:19 am

Point defense wont ever fire on a ship itself. When they fire its either because there are mines being placed or torpedos/missiles being fired off from a distance that are going to be near you, or are targeted at you.

Most of the time my PD fires off I assume its because there are mines being dropped where im going, but there could be a glitch with the missile lock indicator and it just wont tell you sometimes.

A conda with a full set of weapons in the rear can shred just about anyone's shields if you aren't careful. But its definitely not PD's firing at you as you aren't a valid target for them.

Falcon_D
Master
Master
CMDR: Falcon Darkstar

Postby Falcon_D » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:44 am

Dr.Acula wrote:Point defense wont ever fire on a ship itself. When they fire its either because there are mines being placed or torpedos/missiles being fired off from a distance that are going to be near you, or are targeted at you.

Most of the time my PD fires off I assume its because there are mines being dropped where im going, but there could be a glitch with the missile lock indicator and it just wont tell you sometimes.

A conda with a full set of weapons in the rear can shred just about anyone's shields if you aren't careful. But its definitely not PD's firing at you as you aren't a valid target for them.

Thanks for the reply.

Gothyl
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Gothyl
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Gothyl » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:25 am

Dr.Acula wrote:Point defense wont ever fire on a ship itself. When they fire its either because there are mines being placed or torpedos/missiles being fired off from a distance that are going to be near you, or are targeted at you.

Ohh what is the best side to attack a conda from the under belly?
CMDR GOTHYL
Twitch | http://Twitch.tv/dmportella
Schedule: Tue to Sat from GMT 8 PM to 12 PM and Sun from 10 AM to 10 PM
Twitter | http://twitter.com/dmportella

StaticRadion
Expert
Expert
CMDR: StaticRadion

Postby StaticRadion » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:39 am

Gothyl wrote: Ohh what is the best side to attack a conda from the under belly?

The best place to be when fighting a conda without turrets is between where the ships cockpit is and the engines. So that would be topside in the back quarter. If the ship has turrets on the topside, bottom, or both then you will have to make the judgement call but being in the engines wake or slightly below should only leave to exposed to two class one turrets.

PulsarShark
Novice
Novice
CMDR: PulsarShark

Postby PulsarShark » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:58 am

PDs don't target ships, although they may hit ships while aiming for something else.

Anacondas have two Small hardpoints on the lower rear of the ship, near the thrusters. These are probably what's chewing on you.

Point defense fire looks pretty different from other projectiles. It's a stream of little streaks of light with a greenish tint . When it's been a while since I've had missiles or mines coming after me, and the PDs on my Anaconda suddenly fire past the canopy, I sometimes think for a sec that I've encountered one of the rarer PowerPlay weapons or some strange new tech :D

The best angle to attack from is going to be different depending on how your ship and the Anaconda are set up. If he has all lasers up front, multicannons on his Small rear HP's, and your shields are 100%, his multis are the lowest threat to you.

Above and behind is generally best, because he can hit you with maybe two weapons, some of the time, while you have a clean shot straight at his Power Plant. In the upcoming 1.4 update, Power Plant destruction will no longer automatically blow up the ship, but it will probably still be the target of choice.

I don't recommend hanging out dead-ahead of an Anaconda for long, but... it's actually not the most dangerous place to be. Yesterday, I noticed that there's a 'sweet spot' ahead and to either side, where (assuming most of the 'conda's weapons are turreted), ALL BUT ONE of the big guy's guns can track and hit you! (The one that cannot is the medium HP on the opposite side, blocked by the hull) That is:

0-1 Huge (a fixed weapon like Plasma Accelerator won't hit here, but gimballed or turreted Cannons might, and...)
    3-4 Large (there are 3 Large HPs, but the Huge may be underequipped with a Class 3 weapon for wider coverage/less power drain)
    1 Medium
    2 Small

Here's a rough illustration using a random screenshot I had (click to view full-size)

The red-zones are approximate and should be equal sizes, but they show the general area. Don't sit there unless you like high repair bills :)

PulsarShark
Novice
Novice

Postby PulsarShark » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:42 am

And I just ran across this, shared by someone on the official ED forum to show the hardpoint placement on Anacondas:

Going clockwise from frontmost, top left:

Forwardmost, sides: Medium (2)

Topmost, midships: Large (2)

Lower rear: Small (2)

Lower midships: Huge (1) - sometimes fitted with Large (as seen here firing a laser)

Lower forward: Large (1)

Also note, if this camera were slightly higher and farther back from the Anaconda, it would be right in the... DANGER ZONE! :mrgreen:

Gorf
Master
Master
CMDR: Hardy

Postby Gorf » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:02 pm

Sorry - been on hols, late in on this discussion.

PD worn't fire at you (as others have said), but you can still take damage from it if you fly into its stream of fire.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2478

Schmobius
Master
Master
CMDR: Schmobius
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Schmobius » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:17 am

PulsarShark wrote:And I just ran across this, shared by someone on the official ED forum to show the hardpoint placement on Anacondas:

Going clockwise from frontmost, top left:

Forwardmost, sides: Medium (2)

Topmost, midships: Large (2)

Lower rear: Small (2)

Lower midships: Huge (1) - sometimes fitted with Large (as seen here firing a laser)

Lower forward: Large (1)

Also note, if this camera were slightly higher and farther back from the Anaconda, it would be right in the... DANGER ZONE! :mrgreen:

Is that an observation deck on the front of the ship? I've never been close enough to see that in-game.

PulsarShark
Novice
Novice

Postby PulsarShark » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:24 am

It could be. I think I've heard it mentioned before, but I haven't looked at it from the right angle and lighting to see if it's actually a window or not.

Return to “General Discussion”