Falcon_D
Master
Master
CMDR: Falcon Darkstar
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Did I bite of more than I can chew?

Postby Falcon_D » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:15 am

Hello,

I recently went from a Cobra MKII (mostly Rated A) to a Type 6 to an Asp (average rated D). I did not sell my Cobra (cause I love it), but did trade in my Type-6 for the Asp. My problem is this: when I take my Cobra into a low intensity conflict zone, I make money (not much, avg. 200k), when I take my Asp into a low intensity CZ, I get shredded in 10 mins. A rated modules in an Asp cost about 5mil each, and grinding these out seem to be a pain.

Now I just use my Asp to run missions (trade and kill.) And use my Cobra for CZs.

So did I bite of more than I can chew with the Asp?

Thanks and regards.

alphaalif
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Re: Did I bite of more than I can chew?

Postby alphaalif » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:42 am

Maybe you were just unlucky and got in trouble with stronger ships. But I could be wrong so best is change to a Vulture.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Falcon_D
Master
Master

Postby Falcon_D » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:47 am

alphaalif wrote:Maybe you were just unlucky and got in trouble with stronger ships. But I could be wrong so best is change to a Vulture.

I was thinking of getting a Vulture. But I also want a pretty much all-rounder like my Cobra (as I would like to do more than just CZs with the ship), so after much reading I decided to get the Asp.

Would a Vulture also be suitable for mission running and trading?

Thanks and regards.

alphaalif
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby alphaalif » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:17 am

Nope. Very bad idea. I've tried that. Asp is the best for all rounder trading and combat. Cobra is good but when it comes to combat, I find its maneuvaribility too slow for close combat. Asp is close to vulture but not as good as vulture. But I do trading, so getting a vulture would be crazy.

Falcon_D
Master
Master

Postby Falcon_D » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:59 am

alphaalif wrote:Nope. Very bad idea. I've tried that. Asp is the best for all rounder trading and combat. Cobra is good but when it comes to combat, I find its maneuvaribility too slow for close combat. Asp is close to vulture but not as good as vulture. But I do trading, so getting a vulture would be crazy.

Ok.

So basically stick it out in my Asp and grind out the A rated modules.

Thanks.
I'm actually aiming for the Imperial Courier as my end goal. Asp -> Python -> Imperial Clipper, is my idea.

alphaalif
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby alphaalif » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:10 am

Great aim. I do have a very long way to go. We should have a run together.

PulsarShark
Novice
Novice
CMDR: PulsarShark

Postby PulsarShark » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:21 am

The Cobra, as one of the fastest ships in the game, lets you scoot away fast when start getting targeted by too many enemies in a CZ.

The Asp is slower, and much bigger and easier to hit. If you're going to take it into CZs, you'll need to be careful to adjust your style. Work the edges, help the friendly ships kill hostiles they're already fighting. Don't approach big clouds of enemies. And when the sensor screen is clearing of enemies, only 1-3 red contacts left, be ready to shift all your power to shields and engines and run away if the next wave of enemies spawns on top of you and focuses you as the first thing they see. (It may be best to move away a bit when the board starts looking peaceful).

In all ships, move a few Km away from the fighting when you first drop in, and THEN select your side.

Edit: If you love the Cobra, consider the Clipper in the future. The Cobra is like a baby Clipper. Both are crazy fast with lots of internal space that lets them haul cargo and be ready to fight.

StaticRadion
Expert
Expert
CMDR: StaticRadion

Postby StaticRadion » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:31 am

The Cobra is an awesome ship and good for combat. The ASP is a good ship and ok for Exploration and trading, but I would not use it for combat. The problem with moving between or using both the cobra and ASP is that despite having similar feel they have very different proportions.

The reason you are getting shredded is because the ASP has a larger profile from every angle so npc weapons are keeping lock on and fixed cannons or fragment cannons are landing their shots. I included an old picture for reference, but in reality you need to find a few friends and take in game pictures to understand just how big of a difference there is between the two. If you want a trade or explo ship then go to a Type-6 and use a vulture or courier for combat.

At launch the ASP was considered a combat upgrade by many but IMHO it has never been worth my time or effort. With the current roster of ships we have now there is little to no reason to fly the ASP.
► Show Spoiler

Falcon_D
Master
Master

Postby Falcon_D » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:09 am

Thanks for the info Commanders.
As I mentioned, I was in a Type-6 but sold it for the Asp. And I think the Vulture/Courier is too combat focused. So I think I'll stick it out with the Asp till I get a Python then a Clipper. Unless there is another Multi-function medium ship you can suggest.

Thanks and regards.

Gothyl
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Gothyl
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Gothyl » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:56 am

Falcon_D wrote:Thanks for the info Commanders.
As I mentioned, I was in a Type-6 but sold it for the Asp. And I think the Vulture/Courier is too combat focused. So I think I'll stick it out with the Asp till I get a Python then a Clipper. Unless there is another Multi-function medium ship you can suggest.

Thanks and regards.

Nope I think that is a worthy path. I basically kept my asp for exploration and smuggling as it can hold it own but bought a vulture to do CZ and powerplay.
CMDR GOTHYL
Twitch | http://Twitch.tv/dmportella
Schedule: Tue to Sat from GMT 8 PM to 12 PM and Sun from 10 AM to 10 PM
Twitter | http://twitter.com/dmportella

Return to “General Discussion”