Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Torrentae
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Torrentae
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

A little experiment with paint

Postby Torrentae » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:54 pm

So a fellow CMDR and I were having a chat about the game and I mentioned that had noticed that you could open the repair tab of station services and selective repair all your ships systems. I mentioned how one of those items you could select to repair was the paint. This raised some interesting questions, “What happens when your paint hits a low percentile?” “Would it actually reflect on your model visually, making you appear grizzled and battered?” “How long would it take to get that low?”

So I have decided to try it. I am going to carry on my day to day bounty hunting in Alioth and surrounding areas. I will only repair from the repair tab, repairing all BUT the paint. We will see how long it takes and if there is any change to my outward appearance.

Avago-Earo
Master
Master
CMDR: AVAGO EARO

Re: A little experiment with paint

Postby Avago-Earo » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:09 pm

I've wondered about this. Let us know how it goes.
"Wibble"

Jockgit64
Master
Master
CMDR: Jockgit
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Jockgit64 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:52 pm

It used to show wear and tear on the Paintwork, but I haven't noticed it since using a Skin I bought, certainly used to do it with the Default skin.

My old Hauler used to look like a proper transit van :D

*EDIT, got some pics from Gamma

NewPaint.JPG
NewPaint.JPG (53.23 KiB) Viewed 3994 times

oldpaint.JPG
oldpaint.JPG (40.04 KiB) Viewed 3994 times

Artie
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Artie

Postby Artie » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:32 am

Torrentae wrote:So I have decided to try it. I am going to carry on my day to day bounty hunting in Alioth and surrounding areas. I will only repair from the repair tab, repairing all BUT the paint. We will see how long it takes and if there is any change to my outward appearance.

It works that way, I am doing the same. You will see wear and tear when paint percentage is lowering. But results are slightly different for different ships. For example, you will see some noticeable scratches on Viper or T-7 even when paint percentage is pretty high (around 97%), but Asp has barely a single scratch with this percentage. It should be more visible with lower percentage, definitely. But it takes time, paint is more resistant now, in opposite of beta times. :)

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin

Postby Flip » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:56 pm

Also, if you look at the picture of my Asp on that message, you'll notice bullet impacts (a bloody AI attacked me in the middle of our photo shoot as I had disabled my shields to get rid of the blue bubble). It's the first time I noticed such impacts, BTW. And they're fixed when you repair your paint job.
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

Artie
Expert
Expert

Postby Artie » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:47 pm

Ah, that's pretty cool. I never thought there are damage decals remaining on the ship so long. Nice image. :)

Torrentae
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Torrentae

Postby Torrentae » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:30 pm

Jockgit64 wrote:It used to show wear and tear on the Paintwork, but I haven't noticed it since using a Skin I bought, certainly used to do it with the Default skin.

My old Hauler used to look like a proper transit van :D

*EDIT, got some pics from Gamma

NewPaint.JPG

oldpaint.JPG

Wow, that is amazing detail for a side by side. You always have all the answers eh... I can't wait to see my viper all beat to hell...

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:15 am

FD said something about this, like some local factions may give you a poor rep because they think you are a bum, but if you have a spiffing paint job, you may earn their trust sooner (or they could have been blowing smoke).
It's time to give this another go.

de Carabas
Master
Master
CMDR: de Carabas
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby de Carabas » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:31 am

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:FD said something about this, like some local factions may give you a poor rep because they think you are a bum, but if you have a spiffing paint job, you may earn their trust sooner (or they could have been blowing smoke).

Yes, it was supposed to impact the likelihood of getting scanned by the security ships etc as well. Not sure if that's in the game or not.
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

Artie
Expert
Expert

Postby Artie » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:02 pm

de Carabas wrote:Yes, it was supposed to impact the likelihood of getting scanned by the security ships etc as well. Not sure if that's in the game or not.

It's not at this moment. But some dev mentioned few weeks ago that paint state may affect some things later.

Return to “General Discussion”