Explorer Exchange
Skipp
Master
Master
CMDR: Skipp Doe
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Got Bitten by the bug.

Postby Skipp » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:13 pm

agiftforclowns wrote:Exploration is about the journey rather then the risk or money right?

If everyone printed this and framed it over their monitors there would be more happy ED pilots. Ever since I stopped caring about credits - I'm having a great time ingame. If you just keep grinding and chasing money - it kicks all the fun out.

So yea - you should go and do what you want :)
ImageImage

agiftforclowns
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: agiftforclowns

Postby agiftforclowns » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:48 pm

Skipp wrote:
agiftforclowns wrote:Exploration is about the journey rather then the risk or money right?

If everyone printed this and framed it over their monitors there would be more happy ED pilots. Ever since I stopped caring about credits - I'm having a great time ingame. If you just keep grinding and chasing money - it kicks all the fun out.

Hah, well, it just felt like the right thing to say. Well I guess that's true. Thanks Skipp.

uvelius
Master
Master
CMDR: Uvelius Sång

Postby uvelius » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:52 pm

That's why I love the occasional grinding bugs (lots of money in shortest of time). I would have hated that when I started, since it I would have missed the feeling of smaller craft as well as the longing for the big ones, and the sweat of earning the required credits, yet after a year now I am all happy that I can maintain a nice spacecraft park including an Anaconda without worries, and still can focus on Fuel Rat and other absolutely-no-profit-but-possible-rebuys playstyle.

EDIT Oh and don't forget that you can call the Fuel Rats if you happen to run out of fuel on your expedition.

agiftforclowns
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby agiftforclowns » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:20 pm

uvelius wrote:EDIT Oh and don't forget that you can call the Fuel Rats if you happen to run out of fuel on your expedition.

Really? The Fuel Rats are in and around Mobius?

I don't really fly anywhere else so I just want to make sure. You never know right? I've been lucky so far, all the systems I've passed through so far, have had a scoopable star. But I doubt that's going to be the case all the way.

I'll remember that, I'll have the Fuel Rats on speed-dial if need be.

agiftforclowns
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby agiftforclowns » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:53 am

The thing that gets me, out here in the void like I am finally.

It's so calm. The bubble no matter what system you are in. Be it some one star system somewhere in the boonies of Fed Space. Or a 2 star system with 12 planets each and a bunch of stations between them, well it's so busy. There's always going, going, going.

Out here. It's amazing. It's so quiet, so calm. Not a soul in sight. And I couldn't be having more fun at the moment. The systems are devoid of all signs of life...except for that one gas giant with ammonia based life I found a few systems back. Besides that there isn't another ship in sight for who knows how many light years. Just me, my scanner, my ship and the next system to jump too.

Making my way towards the North America Nebula. That's my current destination anyway. Not sure if I'll go further along the arm, or head coreward, or edgeward. Not really positive. Too many options.

The Exploration bug still has me firmly in it's mandibles. Not sure when I'll get home.

buksida
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Levenson

Postby buksida » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:23 am

Skipp wrote:

I must have the wrong idea, always thought exploring was all about the screenshots... :D

2016-02-03_00004.jpg
2016-02-03_00004.jpg (71.89 KiB) Viewed 2867 times

Skipp
Master
Master

Postby Skipp » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:16 am

buksida wrote:I must have the wrong idea, always thought exploring was all about the screenshots... :D

I thought that was just plain obvious

I'll just leave this here. Am I doing it right buksida? :D
ImageImage

agiftforclowns
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby agiftforclowns » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:23 pm

Hmmm now I'm intrigued. Might get some first discoveries off this trip.

The last 2 systems I've been through have had a few objects without a prior visitor on them.

Makes me wonder. People have been through here, it's obvious. The drop in stars have names on them. That's clear. But the gas giant, and second star in the system don't.

What's the possibility of a commander going through a system like this and not stopping to get a full scan?

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Xebeth » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:25 pm

agiftforclowns wrote:<snip)>

What's the possibility of a commander going through a system like this and not stopping to get a full scan?

High, I go through lots of systems and only scan the star, I usually swap between full system scanning, only scanning money makers, and only scanning the star depending on my mood. After doing a lot of scanning in a number of systems I'll just scan the start for a few hundred lys, I know I'm losing money,but moving forward is sometimes more of a motivation that scanning stuff.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Skipp
Master
Master

Postby Skipp » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:17 pm

Also - if you're in a neutron field - you'll be better off just jumping forward and scanning new stars instead of wasting 10min on scanning that gas giant worth a few thousand credits.

But yea - I usually scan everything within 800-900Ls if it's a gas giant, water world or earth-like. If it's not, i just ignore it. I used to scan everything - but after 4000 systems visited - i just keep moving forward
ImageImage

Return to “Explorer Exchange”