agiftforclowns
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: agiftforclowns
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Got Bitten by the bug.

Postby agiftforclowns » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:34 am

The Exploration Bug that is.

I've going out on my first real expedition. Didn't really plan on anything, just looked at the Galaxy map and decided to go the direction of Polaris. See what happens. Maybe follow the arm of the galaxy down then make a big loop back around, see what I can find.

I want to leave the Bubble for abit. I feel I've spent enough time there. Go out beyond and explore strange new territory. Well for me anyway.

I'll see you all later Mobius. Maybe in a few weeks or so I'll come back, and I'll have some stories to tell.

Skipp
Master
Master
CMDR: Skipp Doe

Re: Got Bitten by the bug.

Postby Skipp » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:22 am

Just remember to check the map now and then for scoopable stars and try not to pancake into a star-or-two :D

Have a great journey o7
ImageImage

agiftforclowns
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby agiftforclowns » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:35 am

Yeah, I'm being very careful about that.

Thanks for the advice. I've actually been practicing the use of the throttle button. Throttle down, look at the system map, see what I should bother scanning or not. Pop back out and throttle back up and away we go.

It's the little things.

Thanks loads Skipp. Have a good flight yourself. ^.^ o7

smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby smartroad » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:36 am

"Got Bitten by the bug"

Its okay, I have an ointment for that :lol:
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

Skipp
Master
Master

Postby Skipp » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:07 am

agiftforclowns wrote:I've actually been practicing the use of the throttle button. Throttle down, look at the system map, see what I should bother scanning or not. Pop back out and throttle back up and away we go.

Exactly! The thing about exploration is that people just get very comfortable with prolonged jumping. It's also very relaxing so after hundreds of jumps you just do it automatically without much effort. At least up to a point when you get greeted by a black screen after exiting the jump and a neutron star or a black hole says hello :D

By the time you realise what's going on - you're already spinning like crazy with your computer yelling "To close... droping out of SC".

Anywho - I just posted a guide on exploration and a location to many neutron stars if you feel that adventureous. Feel free to poke me if you need anything
ImageImage

agiftforclowns
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby agiftforclowns » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:42 pm

Skipp wrote:
agiftforclowns wrote:Anywho - I just posted a guide on exploration and a location to many neutron stars if you feel that adventureous. Feel free to poke me if you need anything

Aren't most of the neutron stars, black holes and white dwarves all coreward? I don't think I'm going in that direction. Polaris appears to be a blue white star, rather then anything deadly like a Hole or a neutron star. I could be dead wrong mind. I haven't a clue what really out there until I get there.

buksida
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Levenson

Postby buksida » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:48 am

I think they are, maybe Skipp can confirm, I've been heading towards the core, am about 7,000 ly from the bubble, and haven't found one yet.

agiftforclowns
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby agiftforclowns » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:42 am

I'm heading out towards the outer edge of the galaxy more like, and more above the galactic plane then within it.

I don't think I'm more then 200 to 250 LYs out from the bubble. And Polaris I don't think is any further then 700 to 800 out from the Bubble. It's surprisingly close really.

What can I say this is my first real outside the Bubble trip.

I also learned I need a Permit to actually get to the Polaris system. Pity to hear to hear, so my current objective is a system just barely coreward of it. Maybe 7 lightyears away. Reminds me of how Sobek and Alioth are located. Within like 10 LYers of each other, but can't actually reach one until you get that permit.

Skipp
Master
Master

Postby Skipp » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:32 am

buksida wrote:I think they are, maybe Skipp can confirm, I've been heading towards the core, am about 7,000 ly from the bubble, and haven't found one yet.

Yup - as I said, the system mentioned in the guide points you to a neutron star field that starts around 10k Lys out of the bubble, and aprox -1000Lys below the galactic plane. once there - it stretches all the way to the core and it just keeps getting bigger and denser so you constantly need to be careful when jumping and keep your eye on your fuel tank so you don't end up stranded.
ImageImage

agiftforclowns
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby agiftforclowns » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:05 pm

I really don't feel like I'm ready to head into the inner reaches of the galaxy quite yet. I stopped about 100LYs shy of my objective last night.

After I reach one of the closest systems to Polaris I'm not sure where I want to go from there. Coreward or Edgeward I'm not too sure at all. The money is probably all coreward, along with all the danger I'm sure. But I'm curious about what's around the edges.

Exploration is about the journey rather then the risk or money right? I'm not going to worry if that's true. I'm going to stick more to the edge of the galaxy for this run. Maybe on my way back venture in a little bit.

Return to “Explorer Exchange”