Exploration noises (Audio guide to planet types)

Explorer Exchange
Soulmirror
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Soulmirror
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Exploration noises (Audio guide to planet types)

Postby Soulmirror » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:01 am

Wow,
Found a guide to determining a planet's composition from the system screen. You have to turn on sound, however when selecting a planet on the system screen, after 1-2 seconds it will make a distinct noise. This is great!

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=144782

Soulmirror
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Soulmirror

Re: Exploration noises (Audio guide to planet types)

Postby Soulmirror » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:06 am

Been playing with this for an hour or so, I guess I need some water worlds to tell the difference.

StaticRadion
Expert
Expert
CMDR: StaticRadion

Postby StaticRadion » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:36 am

Good find and probably useful for people looking to put their name in the stars on valuable real estate. On the other hand it is it still more profitable, credits per hour, to just jump system scan and jump to a new system as fast as possible.

Skipp
Master
Master
CMDR: Skipp Doe

Postby Skipp » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:05 am

Ooooh this is awesome. And perfect timing as well. I was just thinking of fitting an ASP to try a short 1k run and maybe keep going if I find anything useful out there
ImageImage

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin

Postby Flip » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:14 am

Nice one! Thanks for sharing.

I'm gonna move the thread to the Explorer Exchange sub forum where it will be easier to find in the future.
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

Gorf
Master
Master
CMDR: Hardy

Postby Gorf » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:19 pm

I'm probably being a bit dim here, but what does the audio tell you that simply looking at the picture doesn't? It's easy enough to differentiate between gas giant/metal rich/rock/valuable (i.e. earth-like or water) from the picture itself. The subtleties of the atmosphere don't make that much of a difference to its value, surely? Certainly not enough for a tone deaf idiot like me to spend time with each planet selected listening for nuances in the sound.

Maybe I've been out in the void looking at these things for too long - nearly three days now :shock: I'll go even madder if I have to start listening to them too.

(I know there are far more dedicated explorers in the group. They've all been out there for months and I start getting fed up with it after a few hours...)

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin

Postby Flip » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:05 pm

It's easy when you have scanned them. But you don't want to spend hours to cruise to and scan everything, especially not worthless stuff. So knowing in advance which type a planet is (especially for metal rich, waterworlds and earthlikes) is useful.
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

Gorf
Master
Master
CMDR: Hardy

Postby Gorf » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:33 pm

That's what I mean - you need to use the discovery scanner to start with so they show up on the system map. That's when you can work out what they are by listening to them or just looking at their colour and texture. I've always had dicky eyesight but my hearing is fine. I'd still rather look at the planet than listen to it, though.

Having said all that, the attention to detail with the audio in this game is pretty spectacular. Except for the discovery scanner.

Return to “Explorer Exchange”