TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Where do you park in the Black?

Postby TorTorden » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:50 pm

Loriath wrote:
JustSomeGuy wrote:Never thought of what would happen if logged out in an planetary ring, best to avoid in any case I guess :)

That ice forming on the windshield, does it really happen? Hehe I have to try that out of interest. Even though it is still easy mode compared to real life where your cars windshield is iced up on both sides in worst case.

Yep, can get the same effect by shutting down systems and popping a heat sink. Starts at about 4% heat I think, or a little more. Less than that and you are looking through the windows of a cottage on the Scottish Highlands in darkest January ;) Or in Northern Canada, if you are map challenged.

No need to pop a heatsink, just turn everything but lifesupport off, and be at least 200ls from the sun.
At about 10% you should start hearing the ice forming and a few seconds later you should start seeing it.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:39 am

I found this fast mover when out exploring. This vid is real time unedited. I wanted to get a vid of this planet crossing my path, but that never happened. This makes me think you are safe logging out in the path of a planet or even in an asteroid belt. I wonder what would happen if you parked in the path of something and then just stayed there. Would a space stations just stop?

https://youtu.be/a4uv-QRbu3Q
It's time to give this another go.

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Loriath » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:37 am

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:I found this fast mover when out exploring. This vid is real time unedited. I wanted to get a vid of this planet crossing my path, but that never happened. This makes me think you are safe logging out in the path of a planet or even in an asteroid belt. I wonder what would happen if you parked in the path of something and then just stayed there. Would a space stations just stop?

Nope, it moves, planets move. The game tries to take this into account as it models the systems. I know people have parked in asteroid fields or near the rings and died. It has been reported on the FD forums. Dunno if a station or planet itself could do it if you parked in its orbital path and logged in at the right time.

Hmmm. Calculators at the ready, Sidewinder Un-engaged! Experiment time?
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

JustSomeGuy
Master
Master
CMDR: Murhapuro

Postby JustSomeGuy » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:48 am

That is the fastest planet I have seen yet.

A bit of offtopic: What happens if I turn life support off too? Is it even possible to turn off every single module in the list?
My first thought is that if the canopy breaks, that would mean instant death, but otherwise ok to turn off.. I could try with sidewinder of course :) Just have some Empire bounties to collect first.
I play on PC, in the Mobius PVE Eurasia group.

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby Loriath » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:43 am

JustSomeGuy wrote:That is the fastest planet I have seen yet.

A bit of offtopic: What happens if I turn life support off too? Is it even possible to turn off every single module in the list?
My first thought is that if the canopy breaks, that would mean instant death, but otherwise ok to turn off.. I could try with sidewinder of course :) Just have some Empire bounties to collect first.

Life support off, you go on Emergency supply. Depending on the Rating, anywhere from 5 minutes on an E rated system, to 25 minutes with an A rated life support. Same as what happens when the canopy breaks. Your Remlok activates and you have X amount of time. Stealth builds, and other ships that they want to max power to use weapons and other things turn off Life Support to keep heat down and usually have it set to go off with weapons being deployed.

I see this often on the YouTubes ;)
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:35 pm

Loriath wrote:
Roger Wilco Jr wrote:I found this fast mover when out exploring. This vid is real time unedited. I wanted to get a vid of this planet crossing my path, but that never happened. This makes me think you are safe logging out in the path of a planet or even in an asteroid belt. I wonder what would happen if you parked in the path of something and then just stayed there. Would a space stations just stop?

Nope, it moves, planets move. The game tries to take this into account as it models the systems. I know people have parked in asteroid fields or near the rings and died. It has been reported on the FD forums. Dunno if a station or planet itself could do it if you parked in its orbital path and logged in at the right time.

Hmmm. Calculators at the ready, Sidewinder Un-engaged! Experiment time?

Well, I'd just like to know what made that planet stop in its tracks. I assumed I was parked too close to its path.
It's time to give this another go.

CMDR Blagill
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Blagill

Postby CMDR Blagill » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:55 pm

When I am out on an exploration trip and need to park up for the night or end of a session I get as close to a planet moon as I can then settle back and admire the view, next time I log on again there's that view again safe and sound .. :D

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby Loriath » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:02 pm

CMDR Blagill wrote:When I am out on an exploration trip and need to park up for the night or end of a session I get as close to a planet moon as I can then settle back and admire the view, next time I log on again there's that view again safe and sound .. :D

Just think, With Horizons, you will be able to Land and admire the view from the Surface ;)
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~

Zynrael
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Zynrael

Postby Zynrael » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:08 am

Once Horizons gets released I doubt anyone will see me for a while. Gonna go scratch that exploration itch.

Return to “Explorer Exchange”