Explorer Exchange
HurstLlama
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: HurstLlama
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Limping Home - Advice Please

Postby HurstLlama » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:06 pm

Due to an incident involving a bored cat, a glass of beer and a keyboard my ship suffered very severe heat damage. I have patched up what I can using my field maintenance units but my hull integrity is basically shot and I am not sure I trust the canopy to take any more shocks. So it looks like I shall have to limp home from out near Barnard's Loop.

This is my first trip into the Deep Dark and I'd appreciate any advice that would help ensure I get home.

Gorf
Master
Master
CMDR: Hardy

Re: Limping Home - Advice Please

Postby Gorf » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:01 pm

Throttle back to zero during every jump. When you are back in supercruise, angle away from the star immediately and go up to 50% thrust. If you need to scoop, keep your temperature below 90% You can go up to 100% before taking damage, but turning away at 90% gives you a bit of a buffer in case temp goes up before it goes down.

Do not try to run from interdictions. Submit, four pips to engines, two to systems, and boost away. On the second boost your FSD should have cooled enough to jump away.

Whenever you can, try to arrange a wingman in advance. Dock and repair at the first system with a station or suitable outpost. If you have a wingman, stations are better because the wing can dock first and warn you of any big ships exiting before you try to come in through the slot.

Good luck...

PulsarShark
Novice
Novice
CMDR: PulsarShark

Postby PulsarShark » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:11 pm

I haven't done serious exploring so the best advice I can give is to search and make sure you're heading for the closest station with a pad that'll hold your ship. Don't wanna make one jump more than you have to and risk being interdicted and getting your canopy shot out by some pipsqueak Eagle D:

Cmdr Ant Kingsmill
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Antony Kingsmill

Postby Cmdr Ant Kingsmill » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:11 pm

Just got back from that area. Nearest station I found was Sothis, belongs to the Sirius Corp and has repairs.

No great advice apart from to try and avoid large stars or close binary systems. Best of luck!

HurstLlama
Harmless
Harmless

Postby HurstLlama » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:19 pm

Thanks for your kind words of advice, fellows. I shall do my best to put them into practice.

Off to find out where Sothis is.

P.S. Mr. Gorf, you may be pleased to know that I have come across your Cmdr Hardy moniker on at least one system in my travels.

HurstLlama
Harmless
Harmless

Postby HurstLlama » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:02 pm

OK, I made it back to Sothis, thanks Mr. Kingsmill for coming up with that location - the one I had been going for was almost 300 Lyrs further away.

Having made it back, I tried to sell my data but constantly get, "Unable to get cartographic data from server" or, "You have no cartographic data that you can sell at this station messages" along with very long, "Stand by" ones. I have managed to sell some data but I have no idea if the right amounts have been credited because the process has never once successfully completed. When I tried to check the system map to see if I have been credited with a first discovery the map fails to open and I have to use task manager to kill the ED process. Very frustrating. It looks like I am stuck at Sothis until the problem is resolved.

de Carabas
Master
Master
CMDR: de Carabas
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby de Carabas » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:58 pm

If it's not too late, hold off selling that data. There's a CG underway for exploration data and you could use it to get some extra creds!
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

Gorf
Master
Master
CMDR: Hardy

Postby Gorf » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:00 pm

HurstLlama wrote:P.S. Mr. Gorf, you may be pleased to know that I have come across your Cmdr Hardy moniker on at least one system in my travels.

Fame at last!

I went out for 1500ly towards a nebula, turned for the core, did another 1000ly and then headed back. I checked I was getting the recognition against undiscovered planets (it doesn't tell you until you cash in the discoveries) then headed out in the opposite direction. The second time, I was on a mission. To get one Earth-like with my name on it. As soon as I got it, I came straight back.

I'm not an explorer, but I've done enough to get to Pathfinder. I don't think it's likely I'll move from there.

Return to “Explorer Exchange”