Explorer Exchange
MAKOstrifeX
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Greschalt [BFA]
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Who are these amateurs???

Postby MAKOstrifeX » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:47 am

So on my travels in my first expedition I noticed a pattern emerging in the not so interesting parts of space. The main star and anything above high-metal planets are scanned and the icy planets are left unexplored. This is lazy exploring :( makes me sick every time I see it :( I know they're not worth much in credits but come on lads where the etiquette? :P

Fly safe commanders and whatever your doing make sure your having fun :D

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Who are these amateurs???

Postby Loriath » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:21 am

When I was out exploring, I left a lot of planets unscanned as I made my way towards my target areas. Once I was closer I would take the time.

Sometimes it' snot worth the wear and tear to get some of them.

Other times, I was just lazy :)
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

clivewil
Master
Master
CMDR: clivewil + clivus

Postby clivewil » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:08 am

Loriath wrote:Other times, I was just lazy :)

i've done that too and i didn't feel even slightly bad about it

you say amateur, i say economically selective
-- Fly safely, shoot straight, kill quickly, land softly --

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath

Postby Loriath » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:07 am

I also imagine some new player coming into the universe a year from now and they decide to explore. And how frustrated they would be heading out in the Galaxy only to find system after system of discovered tags. 1000ly out and still hitting already been discovered. It would be frustrating. Now imagine they find a system where the main star is discovered, but the planets are not.

Think back to your first time you sold data and saw the "Congrats! You found this first!" message. I know I started Doing Screen Shots like crazy. It made me feel great, so I want others to feel that :P

That, and like I said earlier, I was Lazy.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

Feldspar
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Feldspar

Postby Feldspar » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:27 pm

I leave the icy planets so that other commanders following my trail have something to sign so the next person knows who has been through here before. When I find a system that has had all the worthwhile stuff already scanned, I make sure I leave my signature on an icy planet for the next person. It's like a visitor's book.

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Postby Xebeth » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:00 pm

I arrived in one system that only had 4 out of the 7 planted scanned, when I looked and the nav panel and saw that the remaining 3 were 156K ls away I realised why, needless to say I left them un-scanned!
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

savinup4adeathstar
Novice
Novice
CMDR: SAVINUP4ADEATHSTAR

Postby savinup4adeathstar » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:48 pm

I actually find it kinda cool - leaving something for the next cmdr to put his name on. Whenever I find such a system I usually put my name on the nearest unexplored ice/rock planet and leave the rest for others

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Fri May 01, 2015 2:10 am

Present and accounted for. :roll:

Yeah, when I started I was filling in some systems until I learned that icy planets, moons, and asteroids are neither interesting nor worth much, if anything. Colonists and investors are interested in nice places to live or a place where they can make some credits. So I think it's realistic that explorers would just do basic scans on icy planets and worthless moons. But when I saw a second sun and planet system, I'd usually check them out if they looked interesting. Even 500K ls away wasn't too far to go. It'd would take a half hour, but that just gave me a chance to fix dinner or something.

Also, one thing to keep in mind is that before they fixed wear & tear, it would cost you more to repair your ship's integrity that you'd make from traveling to the worthless icy rocks. I'm sure that may have affected how some of the earlier explorers worked, and may have helped to set a precedent.
It's time to give this another go.

Boozeman
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Boozeman

Postby Boozeman » Fri May 01, 2015 10:11 am

I always scan all objects, even the asteroids.

Get several times that "First exprolrer" tags too. Maybe the best one was system named Latu. It is "center" or near high traffic trade routes leaved alone, since I came :)

MAKOstrifeX
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Greschalt [BFA]

Postby MAKOstrifeX » Fri May 01, 2015 10:35 am

Hehe I love the responses. Such passion :P

My OP was wrote a little bit tongue in cheek. To be honest though I didn't know about wear and tear so early explorer's you are excused. I'm in day 11 of my first expedition and I'm already thinking about using the excuse ''I'll leave some for the other commanders'' :) Naw, but seriously you guys bloody well explore how you want. It is nice to see some of the community thinking about the future players of a game. I'm a nice dude, I help out when I can, help people I don't even know but when it comes to exploring... I don't know, I just get greedy and want them ALL :)

Advanced apology to any new pilot's who ever ever happen to be stuck in my wake while exploring. There will be no planet sized rocks of ice to put your name on. I'm like Boozeman I even scan the asteroids.

Thank the galactic gods there's no more wear and tear ey? Or at least that it's been nerfed or something. (Eleven days of travel and still 100% everything.) Though it does seem reasonable to assume that wear and tear would happen while travelling at unimaginable speeds through space.... :)

Return to “Explorer Exchange”