Explorer Exchange
Emanon
Master
Master
CMDR: Emanon
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Who are these amateurs???

Postby Emanon » Fri May 01, 2015 11:44 am

You've ģot more dedication than me, that's for sure. There was definitely a time when I did it all and got crao credits and sometimes first discovered tags, but even though I enjoy it when I come into a large system, I tell mysel, ok, only doing the valuable ones!
CMDR Emanon

Gorf
Master
Master
CMDR: Hardy

Postby Gorf » Fri May 01, 2015 6:52 pm

If I'm not going to scan everything, I don't scan anything. (Except asteroids. Asteroids suck balls.)

My criteria is an outermost object less than 20,000ls away. Beyond that, someone else can do the work.

Gorf
Master
Master

Postby Gorf » Fri May 01, 2015 10:28 pm

Gorf wrote:If I'm not going to scan everything, I don't scan anything.

Well that declaration lasted less than 30min after being typed.

Managed to find an undiscovered Earth-like. Scanned it and started the long journey home to get my name stamped on it before anyone else does.

Then I'm going to head straight back to see if night-side city lights only appear after it's been discovered...

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Loriath » Sat May 02, 2015 9:47 am

Gorf wrote:Then I'm going to head straight back to see if night-side city lights only appear after it's been discovered...

It won't unless there is humanoid life on it. Earth like does not mean humans have colonised it. No people no lights.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

HAMM3R
Expert
Expert
CMDR: HAMM3R

Postby HAMM3R » Sun May 03, 2015 7:47 am

Loriath wrote:No people no lights.

There could be fireflies :D

I tend to skip the asteroid belts. And the icy rocks, especially if they're like 300,000 Ls' away.
Scooping fuel is very much like making love to a beautiful woman. First check the target is hot enough,
then approach slowly. Once close enough, pull out your scoop and fill her up. After you're done just
gently pull away, turn around and leave.

MAKOstrifeX
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Greschalt [BFA]

Postby MAKOstrifeX » Sun May 03, 2015 7:56 am

I left some ice planets unclaimed today because they were orbiting a dwarf about 440k Ly away and the main star had been claimed.... I'm such a hypocrite :P

Gorf
Master
Master

Postby Gorf » Sun May 03, 2015 11:45 am

Loriath wrote:
Gorf wrote:Then I'm going to head straight back to see if night-side city lights only appear after it's been discovered...

It won't unless there is humanoid life on it. Earth like does not mean humans have colonised it. No people no lights.

That's why I'm going back. To see if the night-light algorithm does a "switch on" when a CMDR has discovered an Earth-like.

Maybe an Earth-like only gets night lights when it has been colonised enough to warrant an orbiting station?

Ticky
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Horace in Space

Postby Ticky » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:32 pm

Interesting thread - was thinking much the same thing that there are some lazy gits about.

I tend to scan everything, apart from asteroids belts - 0Cr, no thanks.

I was surprised to find that I was getting money for scanning planets in known space - even had stations/outpost orbiting them. (What? No one looks out the window??) I have also managed to scan planets that were about 15LY away from Sol!

Ghworg
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Ghworg

Postby Ghworg » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:46 pm

There is some logic to it. Obviously the people there have scanned everything, but they may not have given that data to anyone outside the system. So as far as the rest of the galaxy is concerned it is still unexplored. Bit of a stretch, but the whole "multiple CMDRs getting money for scanning the same systems" is ridiculous from an in-universe perspective in the first place.

Return to “Explorer Exchange”