Explorer Exchange
Nanosmo
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Nanosmo
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Good equipment list an Explorer can't live without

Postby Nanosmo » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:30 am

My first exploration trip I took a Hauler with A Class FSD and the best scanners around and best fuel scoop. No weapons, No shields, no heat sink launcher or field maintenance kit.

Never had a problem, got out there and scanned a few hundred stars and came back.

CrazedHatter
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: CrazedHatter

Postby CrazedHatter » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:03 pm

On the topic of fuel scoops - at the end of my run with my Asp, before trading up to the Clipper, I had a size 6 fuel scoop, because it meant I could refuel in half a minute from an empty tank, and since I scooped every time I hit a scoopable star, it was even faster than that, made life MUCH nicer.
Count and Commander CrazedHatter, Imperial Explorer and Bounty Hunter
Owner/Operator - Imperial Clipper Ship "Queen of Hearts"

Feldspar
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Feldspar

Postby Feldspar » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:39 pm

CrazedHatter wrote:On the topic of fuel scoops - at the end of my run with my Asp, before trading up to the Clipper, I had a size 6 fuel scoop, because it meant I could refuel in half a minute from an empty tank, and since I scooped every time I hit a scoopable star, it was even faster than that, made life MUCH nicer.

I would always equip a dedicated explorer with a scoop in the largest slot, quicker scooping = safer scooping.

Satsuma
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Satsuma

Postby Satsuma » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:07 pm

Seconded! I used an undersized scoop when I first got my Cobra. It would take something like 4 minutes to refuel from empty. I didn't think too much about it, because most of my exploration trips were within 2k LY of the bubble. For my current trip between galactic arms, though, I went up to a 4C (refuels in about a minute), and it makes a huge difference!

Gorf
Master
Master
CMDR: Hardy

Postby Gorf » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:27 pm

My contributions - a small fuel scoop on a long-range ship isn't as bad as you might think. An asp with a lot of extra fuel tanks can travel an awful long way. Then, you park the ship near enough to the star so it's scooping but far enough to stop the temperature going up. Then leave it for ten minutes while you take a break and have a stretch. It forces you to do something you should do, but probably don't.

And the advice about the mass of D rated gear - it's only the "lightest" for a given module size. Often you might find that where a D module isn't available (for example if the D distributor won't power the ship's modules) the A rated module for that size module will be less massive than the D rated module in the next size up.

Gorf
Master
Master

Postby Gorf » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:35 pm

Oh, and try to avoid exploring with alcohol in your system, and don't try to watch youtube and scoop at the same time...

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin

Postby Flip » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:18 pm

Except for the FSD and the fuel scoop, prefer D class stuff. They’re the lightest of all, therefore they’ll give you the best range.

Here’s my exploration Asp setup.
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:27 pm

http://coriolis.io

Invaluable :p

Pick your ship and click on the little slider icon and select "explorer" it will give you a max range stripped down explorer ship, you can change mods and internals as needed/wanted.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Gorf
Master
Master

Re:

Postby Gorf » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:01 pm

Flip wrote:Except for the FSD and the fuel scoop, prefer D class stuff. They’re the lightest of all, therefore they’ll give you the best range.

Here’s my exploration Asp setup.

D rated aren't "lightest" - on the build you've quoted, there's a lighter A rated module than the lightest D rated one available, hence my point above.

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby JohnLuke » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:04 pm

Gorf wrote:And the advice about the mass of D rated gear - it's only the "lightest" for a given module size. Often you might find that where a D module isn't available (for example if the D distributor won't power the ship's modules) the A rated module for that size module will be less massive than the D rated module in the next size up.

I agree. Sometimes an A rated module that's smaller will work better and weigh less. For example, in my ASP for exploration, I use a 3A power plant. Only 2.5 tons and enough energy to power everything. Most of my other modules are one class smaller than default, and save a lot of weight.

Side tip... I feel that the 6A fuel scoop costs a lot of money to gain 6 seconds on a refill, Vs the 6B. ;)
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Return to “Explorer Exchange”